new graphics driver for the slate

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by thadwald, Sep 1, 2011.

1. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

according to this page on the intel forum
    communities.intel.com/thread/18394?tstart=0

the driver supports ;
    - hibernation working

- DXVA / DXVA2 hardware acceleration

- D3D 10.1 and up

- Aero

- OpenGL 2.0 hardware accelerated !

Unfortunately, this is a driver package that is intended for system builders and not consumers. If anyone here has the know-how required for packaging a driver with their tool, we could all have a decent graphics driver.
    Rick?

the driver package can be found here;
    edc.intel.com/Software/Downloads/EMGD/#overview

2. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

Your title is misleading. It should say possible driver.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Angry Birds and Angry Birds Rio runing very well. - Pocketables Forum This guy seems like he's willing to help. I might just try the driver he complied for the Vilivev. The lack of graphics performance is my biggest beef with my slate ATM. If I could get the driver working, I could probably squeeze another .25mhz out of the CPU with SetFSB.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I tried the driver posted on pocketables (both the Viliv and Sony version) and there is some editing that needs to happen to make it work on the Slate. If you install one of them the screen is completely dark due to brightness levels defaulting to 0. I do not know enough to fix it, I used to hand edit Nvidia Graphic inf files back in the day but this is different ;)

5. Elgordo10

Elgordo10 Elgordo

This driver is down-loadable but is for the E600 chip not the GMA500. I'm confused

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Someone (or multiple someones) have taken the GMA600 driver and modified it to work for the GMA500 (same basic core), by using the embedded version (which still is supported) as Intel now treats the GMA500 on Windows as EOL.

7. thadwald

The driver is for the Z6xx processor, as well as the US15W chipset. The Z5xx processors use the US15W chipset.

The GMA 600 graphics core is integrated into the Z6xx processor chip. The GMA 500 graphics core is part of the US15W chipset.

The driver should work. It installs and the LCD display works; I have done so and could navigate Windows using a small flashlight. The LED backlight doesn't work, though. We need someone to configure the driver for the slate's backlight.

8. thadwald

Good news.
    And bad news.

First the good...

I have the EMGD 1.8 driver installed on my slate. It works! (yay)
    Here is a link to it: https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=1b3a757dfb156eae&resid=1B3A757DFB156EAE!104

OpenGL 2.0 works along with DirectX 9ex. This is significant, as this is the first driver that Intel has released that supports both sets of APIs. (pretty sad for a chip that made its debut in 2007) You can now play Angry Birds to your heart's content.
    The driver is WDDM 1.1, which basically means that it is Windows 7 compatible. I don't know which, if any, DirectX features are supported now that were not supported before.

Backlight, sleep, and hibernate works.

Now the bad news.

The only resolution supported with my build is 1024x600.
    The HDMI out does not work with my build.

IE9 is still not HW accelerated. I am not sure which APIs it needs that are not supported by the chip. More on this later.

Windows Live Movie Maker still does not work. Apparently it also needs a DirectX 10.1 driver.

I will now provide instructions for building your own driver. Hopefully someone can figure out how to improve on some of the missing features, such as the limited resolution and the non-working HDMI port.

1. Get the Driver Package Here Intel® Embedded Design Center - Intel® Embedded Media and Graphics Driver (Intel® EMGD) and install it.
    2. Run it and create a New Configuration
      • Enter a nice name for your driver.
      • Select the US15W chipset
      • Select Single as the Configuration mode
      • Add the LVDS port device
      • Note: For getting the HDMI port to work, I believe you would need to select Dual Independent Head for the configuration mode and configure the sDVO device.​
      • Click next
      • Enter CMO0903 (I am not going to pretend that I know what this is. I believe I took it from an .inf file of a driver that worked.)
      • port rotation 0
      • Us EDID Display if available checked
      • Use EDID block checked
      • Select Internal LVDS as the output type (the only option)
      • Click on attribute settings
      • Check intensity and set to 100 (this means 100% brightness will be default)
      • Check Inverter Frequency and set to a nice, big number. I chose 30,000 and it works. If you go below 20,000 you might get some audible noise from the backlight controller. I cannot find any documentation on what the ideal frequency is. This value is zero by default and this is the reason why the backlight would not work with the prepackaged drivers that came with the Intel utility.
      • Click Finish
      • Click Flat Panel Settings and enter the following: T1=5, T2=25, T3=25, T4=550, T5=250
      • Click finish
      • Click next
      • Click Finish
    3. Create a new package
      • Enter a nice name for the package
      • Select Windows7/WES
      • Select the configuration you made in the previous step
      • Click finish
    4. Select the installation that you just made and click Generate Installation
      Ta-Daa! done.
    5. Install your driver

I obtained the power on-off sequence specifications for the Flat Panel Backlight from a spec sheet for the LCD display. I used Monitor Asset Manager (google it) to determine the make/model. I came up with Chi Mei N089L6-L03. I used this http://beyondinfinite.com/lcd/Library/Chimei/N089L6-L02.pdf. Note that the last character is off by 1.

Some notes on IE9 and HW acceleration.
    I have no idea which APIs IE9 needs for hw acceleration that are not supported by the chip. There is a way to force IE9 to use HW Acceleration (google it); I tried it and it caused a BSOD. I discovered later that the culprit was the Broadcom Crystal HD Decoder, so I disabled it in Device Manager. With the Broadcom Decoder out of the way, IE9 no longer gets a BSOD and attempts to use the GPU's decoding engine. This crashed the page on any flash video site that I tried. I believe this to be a fault in the (new) driver. Otherwise, I can tell of no appreciable improvement on page rendering and scrolling speeds, so it probably isn't GPU accelerated anyway.

The only improvement that I noticed on the DirectX side of things is that Aero no longer has the video artifacts--which is nice.
    Any program that uses OpenGL should be many times faster with this driver.

I have spent more time on this than I ever wanted to. Please understand that everything here is provided as-is and that I will be unlikely to find additional time for troubleshooting.

9. ghost74

ghost74 Scribbler - Standard Member

thadwald,

First of all thanks for the effort!

I must have missed something.

I downloaded the driver via the link you provided and did "Step 1". After installation was complete and a reboot it apears that I am running the 1.8v of the driver. I don't see how to do step 2.

When I right click on the desktop and goto graphics properties I see the following...

Display Devices Tab:
    Single Display: CMO0903

Display Settings Tab:
    1024X600 as high as I can go

Information Button:
    EMGD Version: 1.8.1.2048
    DirectX* Version: 10.0

I can confirm that the annoying artifacts and flickering are gone.:)

10. thadwald

Sorry for not being clearer. The first link is the slate driver that I packaged.

The second link is the Intel driver configuration and packaging utility. This, along with the detailed list of instructions, is for those of you who would like to further customize the driver and perhaps get some of the missing features to work.