new gateway tablet

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by rmawyer, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmawyer

rmawyer Pen Pal - Newbie

I finally took the plunge and bought my first tablet. I chose the new gateway with the 14" wide screen and got it fully loaded.

I am having to press extremely hard on the screen when trying to write in onenote or any other application. So hard that I feel like I am about to break the screen and my hand cramps after writing 2 or 3 sentences. Is this normal for all tablets? Has anyone else had the problem with the gateway?

Gateway is sending me a new pen but I don't think that is going to solve my problem.

FYI, their support has been very fast, I have called three times and did not have to wait on hold at all.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No. My toshiba r15 I barlely have to press to write (I turned pen pressure off in onenote because it was easier to write Japanese). I suggest you return your 14inch widescreen (wich by the way makes it has less girth and therby making it more like a piece of parchments than paper) and get a toshiba r15 or m4. they are way better and weigh less. See! I told all you guys that there has to be a problem with the gateway! how else could it be so cheap?

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No, that's not normal, not even close. It could be a bad pen, but I'd guess bad digitizer, which means you'll have to send it back in for repair. Of course the pen's an easier solution for everyone, so let's hope that's the problem.

4. rmawyer

rmawyer Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the replies. At least now I am better educated to deal with Gateway tech support.

Rob

5. wac

wac Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you tried cleaning the screen with the handy cloth they provide? I found that writing (scribbling) on the screen with the pen, then wiping with the cloth and repeating this a couple times helped a lot. I remember seeing other posts about stickiness on new screens - it seems to go away with cleaning and use.

Hope this helped!

6. rmawyer

rmawyer Pen Pal - Newbie

All,

Thanks again for the advice. I did receive a new pen from gateway (overnight!) and that seems to have fixed the problem. I like the tablet very much, it is very fast and all features work as advertised. My only complaint is that this thing is heavy and a bit akward to hold as a tablet if you are standing up due to its size.

Thanks,

Rob

7. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you get the souped up tablet from BestBuy for $1249? Can I get the same service from Gateway, if I buy the TPC from BestBuy? So, did the new pen fixed the issue?

I found this issue of pressing when I tested this TPC in BB & Comp USA. Toshiba started writing when I literally was about to touch the screen (kind of). Where as, I have to press hard for a Gateway.

Thanks!

8. rmawyer

rmawyer Pen Pal - Newbie

No, I did not by from Office Depot but direct from Gateway. I got a fully loaded model. The pen did fix issue and eveything works fine now. I don't know the answer to your question about how to get service if you buy from Office Depot, sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.