New Gateway M285 Tablet Convertible

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Djarvis, May 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smartdog

Smartdog Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,

In the review ViPaDawG states:

"Other than that, the only other missing port someone would have a complaint about would be S-Video, however, that can be solved using the Optional Port Replicator attachment that Gateway sells."

I am wondering if anyone has tried to use a simple adaptor to solve this.
    (not a company endorsement...just an example)
    http://www.computercasesandcables.com/ccc/CV-25120.html

If you look at the specs on the 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 GPU:
    http://www.ati.com/products/mobility...400/specs.html

It looks like it may have the ability:
    vivo™ Video and Display Platform

This is a portible solution, if it is possible.....any thoughts on this?

Buy the way ......Tuesday I will have my order finalized for
    M285- E SB Gateway Tablet Computer

Smartdog
    "we all learn by sharing what we know"

2. moralityjustice

moralityjustice Pen Pal - Newbie

Futhermore, when I try to calibrate, instead of what windows asks me to "tap" the screen, it assumes I pressed the crosshair before I touch screen, right when I just hover over the crosshair and prepared to touch it. Is the pen supposed to write only when you get close enough to touching the screen?

3. Smartdog

Smartdog Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone knows if the CPU is soldered to the mother board on the M285-E SB model or not?

The reason I ask is:
    When the new Core 2 duo (Merom) comes out for notebooks if the chip is not soldered to the motherboard , them we will be able to "drop in" the new chip and get a bios update and enjoy less power drain and get a performmce boost and be 64-bit compatible for Vista OS (when it comes out).

Intel's existing 945 chipset is compatible with Merom, after a BIOS update, but aside from 64-bit compatibility and a performance boost, the Napa platform will get no new features until early 2007 with the new Santa Rosa platform.

Officially dubbed the "Core 2 Duo," the Merom processor will make its debut this August as a replacement/option over the existing Yonah CPU. As we've covered lately, Merom will start out as a drop-in addition to the 945 chipset based Napa platform and later transition to a whole new platform, dubbed Santa Rosa. While the initial Merom processors are pin-compatible with the Napa platform and most notebooks will requires a BIOS update, the "Merom+" models on the Santa Rosa platform will use the new Socket P.
    So will The Gatway M285-E SB be able to use all its tablet goodness in a "true" 64 bit enviroment?

Smartdog
    "We all learn by shareing what we know"

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Vtengstudent

Vtengstudent Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi. My names Jason. I'm a freshman engineering student at Virginia Tech. I just got my new m285 yesterday. It's awesome. When I calibrate my screen I have to touch the crosshairs before it procedes. Also, in onenote and journal it only writes when the pen is touching the screen. Moralityjustice, yours might be defective. Does anyone have the 80GB 7,200 RPM drive? I have it and I hear an annoying high pitch whine coming from it constantly when its not charging. Is this normal for the higher speed drive? Thanks alot. I love this tablet!!

5. moralityjustice

Hopefully, the new pen they're sending will fix the problem. I also have the 80 GB 7200rpm drive. There's not much noise sitting in an upright position. I might hear some faint pitch if I put my ear close to the laptop. Decently loud Buzzing sound came from the dvd drive (possibly hard drive, too?) when I deleted all the partitions and reinstalled windows while it was copying files.

6. dukefan6842

dukefan6842 Pen Pal - Newbie

whatup jason, vt engineering class of '10 represent

yeh ive gotta get my tablet sooner or later, but i dont think im gettin an m285 bc im freaking terrified of finepoint, itried the test unit at best buy and the pen was like 2" off the cursor, i dont wanna have to deal with that all the tim so wacom here i come...im thinking the c204tmi bc its not that much slower and its the only 12" tab with dedicated video.....
    word

7. Vtengstudent

Hey dukefan. I've never used wacom but finepoint not that bad. It takes like 10 second to recalibrate the pen ever time you change the orientation. I got the m285 because of the 14" screen, 8 hours of battery life, ded graphics, and it had the option for 2 GB of memory (on VT eng page). I'd definitely recommend this tablet. It's awesome.

8. zancxia

zancxia Pen Pal - Newbie

moralityjustice--I believe your issue with your tablet functionality has to be the pen. It sounds like it's always "reading" that there is pressure in the tip. The pen gives off a frequency depending on the pressure that it is sensing. The screen's tablet backing uses the frequency to determine where the pen is and how much pressure is being given. My pen works fine, and when I hover it above the screen and touch the tip with my finder, it is possible to create 'ink on the screen. So, to conclude, you should be fine. ;)

I think that the finepoint system works well. Each time I calibrate the pen, I can get it to where it is within a pixel or two within the tip of the pen no matter where I point it on the screen. A tip: when you calibrate, hold your pen exactly like you would if you were reaching toward that target--in other words, do NOT try to adjust yourself, tilt the pen 90 degrees off the screen, move your face right above the target, and click. Since the frequency seems to be produced at a point higher than the tip, this method will not work. Also, when you get your tablet, make sure that is has the most up-to-date version of the finepoint driver. I believe that the most recent update was 7/5/06. Follow those steps and everything should be just fine.

About the HD: Mine does produce a sound, but it is no louder than the IBM I had before it. It is a 5400, so I can't really say whether your situation is 'ok' or not.

9. moralityjustice

Thanks! Yeah, the new pen doesn't flow that much. But the pen tip is very loose compared to my first one. Every letter I write, I hear a click, as the pen tip moves from its outstretched position inward a tiny bit. It decreases writing performance, along with the click. I guess I have to try Technical support again. Other than that, the computer is highly recommended if you're okay with the weight.

10. Vtengstudent

Zancxia, I was trying to update my finepoint driver like you said. The only way I know how to is to go to the device manager then Human Interface Devices then Finepoint Innovations then update driver. It searched and couldn't find a more recent driver then 6/13/06. Is this the most up to date or is there another way to update it? I also have an off topic question. When i bring my computer back from standby CPU0 runs constantly at 80-90% but CPU1 stayes at 0-5%. I look in the task manager and it doesn't show any programs that would be causing this. I have to restart to get it to stop which can get pretty annoying. I try closing all programs and turing my wireless off but CPU0 never slows down. Any sugestions? And does anyone know a good program to monitor the internal temperature and maybe control the fan speeds? Thanks.