New Gateway M285 Tablet Convertible

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Djarvis, May 27, 2006.

1. dfgasner

dfgasner Pen Pal - Newbie

Even though the sales rep thing is being debated. I talked to my companies Dell sales rep this weekend and even though he said that Dell supports the Toshiba. What he heard for an Intel conf. earlier this month. That supposedly all the Core Duo motherboards will be supporting the first release of 64bit mobile, but when I mentioned something about being in Q3 of this year he thinks that this is going to be just Intel Desktop release of the Core Duo and that the Mobiles won't be out until sometime when in Q1 of 07'.

I can say one thing. I'm going to love it when I am able to use 64bit Vista on my laptop. But my dad has 32bit running right now on his with a T2500, 2gb ram, and the onboard 950 video. And he is able to run with full Aero glass just fine. Don't know, but I'm installing it tomorrow to see what kind of applications and games I'm able to install on my desktop.

Didn't mean to get off subject. -just to hyped.

2. moralityjustice

moralityjustice Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, I'm new to this forum. After browsing alot of forums and particularly this thread, I bought my first tablet pc ever today. Well, I decided instead of getting a great deal on the Dell M1210, but rather try one of these tablet ones for a change. I would like to thank you guys for all your opinions and hopefully mine turns out all right. Gateway isn't cheap in my state with taxes, and so it ended up costing almost 2300. But a slow laptop will kill me for college homework.

In sum, I got the T2500, 1024MB 667MHz, ATI X1400, 80GB 7200rpm, Multi-Format Double Layer DVD Writer, 3 year service, Audigy Sound Card, Bluetooth and 12-cell Lithium ion battery.

In reply to a prior question regarding battery life, I think this tablet pc is quite good. The interactive tour lists this: Primary Battery 8 cell up to 4.5 hours, high capacity 12 cell over 5.25 hours, thin modular batter-6 cell provides over 2 hours.

3. Ninazu

Ninazu Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my Gateway M285-E about 3 weeks ago.
    I had some issues installing software, and it turned out to be Norton firewall. Previous to finding that, I thought I had messed up the OS so preformed a system restore useing Gateways disks. I am happy to report that I did not run in to any of the above mentioned issues and the restore finished flawlessly.

Specs:
    T2500 2.0 GHz Core Duo
    1.5 GB RAM
    80 GB 7200 HD
    12 Cell battery
    ATI X1400 Video card
    No Bluetooth
    No DVD Writer

Bugs/Issues:
    - Known Microsoft error when going to hibernation, I got the update from MS and it is working fine so far. (see: http://translocator.ws/2005/11/06/hibernation-insufficient-system-resources/2/)

- Screen does not wake up. In some cases if I close the screen while it is still on, I open it later and it will not turn back on. I have even seen this when it shuts down the screen due to power saving. This has not happened often, and in all but 1 case I was able to get it to come back on by pressing the rotate screen button. The one case it did not come back was when I had a game running that was in full screen mode.

Games:
    - I have only tried one game so far that tested the video card, it was the newly released demo of Prey. The graphics are pretty intense but I saw no slow down or stuttering while playing. I was pretty worried about the whole 64MB RAM on the video card with up to 256MB using hyper-memory technology... but it seems to work fine.

- Have not run 3DMark yet... but I can for those interested.

Battery Performance:
    - I use this laptop to take notes in school, my classes are 4 hours long and I have had plenty of battery life. I have not tried to see how long they would last yet, but with the wireless turned off I still have 2 or so hours remaining according to the indicator after 4 hours of note taking (on and off). If I had to guess, I would say 5 hours or so battery life without the wireless, 3.5 to 4 hours with wireless on and active browsing of the net, and probably 2-3 hours if you were playing a graphics intensive game.

General Usage:
    - I was taking Biology 140, lots of notes, and had this laptop for 3 weeks of the class. I was impressed by the handwriting recognition, as was everyone else who used it. I did not have calibration issues, and quickly got used to how it wrote. Please note: The pen IS pressure sensitive, I have tested this several times and have no issues with it. (It is an option that needs to be turned on in One Note)

- Love One Note, very easy to take notes, easy to get more "paper" to write on, easy to start new pages/topics/folders.

- I use this notebook for application development as well. No issues running Visual Studio, Java, Ruby, IIS, and SQL Server (MSDE). Makes the logon a bit slower (up to 30 seconds or so) but does not seem to slow the laptop at all after the logon is complete.

- I love the larger screen size compared to the Fujitsu or Toshiba models I have seen. I have large hands and write somewhat larger, so I like the extra real estate.

Wish List:
    - Higher resolution
    - More flexibility on the tablet buttons... Only being able to change the functionality of one button kind of sucks. Maybe Gateway will release a utility that allows most if not all of them to be customized in their functions. (Especially on the 4 way!)

Final Thoughts:
    I Really like this convertible laptop, I took my time deciding on what to get and this one fits me and my needs well.
    Other than that, I am open for questions for anything I missed.

4. Ninazu

Ninazu Pen Pal - Newbie

Ran 3DMark 2006

987 points, better than any other X1400 on the 3D mark database

5. ViPaDawG

ViPaDawG Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm...I BET I CAN TOP IT :p

mine is the 2.16Ghz Config, and I got 1940ish on 3DMark05.

6. Ninazu

Ninazu Pen Pal - Newbie

True, at least two of the tests are designed for CPU over GPU

7. bree4bryce

bree4bryce Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered mine last Thursday and I am so excited. Thank you for the review Ninazu.
    My specs:
    T2500 2.0GHz Core Duo
    1024MB 667
    ATI X1400
    80GB 7200
    8 cell & 12 cell
    No bluetooth
    No DVD writer
    3yr total protection

My question: Gateway molded tablet case was on back order...where else can I get a molded tablet case?

8. Ninazu

Ninazu Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the molded case and let me just say they are not kidding when they say molded... It fits the M285 perfectly and leaves zero room for anything else.

With that said, two things:
    1) I don't think you can find these cases anywhere else.
    2) They are not very practical, as they do not have any out side pockets or any kind of storage room. A good slipcase or backpack might serve better when you extras like the spare batteries.

9. dfgasner

dfgasner Pen Pal - Newbie

I guess that I have one question about quality. I was at Best Buy today and was looking at last years model. The thing that seems to worry me is the quality of the hinge and how well it holds up. This one seemed very loose and whabully? I was just wondering if this was because it's at Best Buy and been played with thousands of times, or is this just how they get?

10. alaren

alaren Pen Pal - Newbie

Greetings.

A question for everyone: I have been looking at purchasing a tablet for quite some time now. I am leaning toward the M285 for a few reasons--low price, extendable battery warranty, dedicated video, dual core.

My primary concern is with the pen. I have read comments that you have to re-calibrate the pen every time you change the screen orientation. Can anyone confirm that this is a universal problem, or if it is isolated? The other thing I'd like confirmation on is whether these pens are in fact battery operated like earlier incarnations of the non-Wacom pens.

I'm not really an artist so I'm not super concerned about the lack of Wacom, but if there are any other problems I should be aware of, I'd appreciate a quick rundown.

Thanks!