New Gateway M285 Tablet Convertible

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Djarvis, May 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. good200

good200 Pen Pal - Newbie

The recalibration is fairly easy. It take about 20 seconds if
    that, to recalibrate the pen. I am a student. I sat in on a
    class the other day to test my note taking; I used the journal
    and Onenote. My notes were easy to write. I copy and pasted my
    notes from journal to one note. I found that I need to work on
    my hand writing recognition to change my writing to text.

:)

2. urchimpy

urchimpy Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Dude, 20 seconds is no big deal at all. I still am interested in buying this tablet more ...

3. ViPaDawG

ViPaDawG Pen Pal - Newbie

20 seconds is tolerable.

i'm going to post a huge nice review a few days after i get mine hoping nothin' happens (aka vacation or somethin)

4. Djarvis

Djarvis Pen Pal - Newbie

A quick update...

Finally not working the weekend, except for AM rounds. The M-285 is mostly working very well. The hard drive replacement/System Restore fixed all the problems with the digitizer, and I can scribble away in tablet mode while I am seeing patients in clinic or hospital. Unfortunately, my general scribbling and medical shorthand is not translatable by One Note, but that would be asking a bit much! One Note is very good at translating when I actually write semi-legibly though. I rarely have to re-calibrate the pen/tablet since doing the System Restore with the new hard drive.

The rest of the system is almost excellent. The DVD doesn't say it is Double Layer, and I put a DL disk in with only 4.5GB pics on it, and then thought it was the wrong DVD drive or defective. Gateway promptly sent a replacement, which I just sent back yesterday after figuring out it was my mistake, not theirs.

I say almost excellent, because Windows doesn't recognize the TPM chip, and Gateway doesn't seem to have a driver for it. A Gateway tech guy said he'd make sure I was e-mailed about this, but nothing yet back from them. Possibly related to this, or just due to a buggy Authentec driver, my PC Card fingerprint reader is not automatically installed by Windows; every time it boot I get the "New Hardware Found" requester and have to point Windows at the driver again. As Windows recognizes the card, I suspect that's a driver problem mostly.

But these are minor problems, though disappointing.
    The sound quality is a bit tinny; but this is no different than any other laptop I've had, and is trifling. It works fine for me to dictate into Dragon Naturally Speaking, which is key for me.

Everything else is fast and reliable, and overall, I am pleased. I plan to get another battery and stylus soon. When the TPM issue is figured out I'll recommend it to other physicians or people who have confidential info on their machines.

And, it is fun to mess around on and figure out this little speed machine! Will probably try some games or video editing on it this weekend, too.

5. richardk

richardk Pen Pal - Newbie

A few questions I'd be grateful if a lucky owner could answer:

1) What kind of battery life are you getting in practical use on this thing?

2) If the dimensions of 13.58" wide x 11.14" deep x 1.26" high at 6.2lbs are correct, then it seems fairly big, and very heavy.
    a) Is it comfortable to hold?
    b) How do you prefer lugging it around (case, shoulder-strap bag, etc)? Would it fit easily in a knapsack?
    c) Has anyone tried working with it in laptop mode in a cramped airplane seat, either on your lap or on the tray? I've noticed that my HP DV1680 laptop often can't be opened all the way when it's on the tray as the screen hits the seatback, and I'm concerned as to how this will fit.

3) I was talking to a rep from Gateway who said the thing only weighs 4.66 lbs when the 6-cell battery is installed. I was skeptical, but he insisted this is correct. Is it true? (That'd make it as light as the Toshiba M400...)

4) The rep also said that the 12-cell battery does NOT increase the size dimensions of the device. Huh? Is that true?

5) What's with this annoying need to recalibrate every time you switch to tablet mode? Has anyone found a way around to not have to do this?

6) Is it possible to swap the Fn and Ctrl keys using the BIOS?

Thanks so much for any help,

-Richard

6. ViPaDawG

I can only answer 3 and 4 right now. and those are NOT true. 12 cell makes the tablet sit at an angle, but adds a better grip to hold it against. and it does not weigh 4.66 lbs ever i believe. I will be able to give you a better idea when mine actually arrives :). Gateway shipped it this morning, so it'll be at my house soon.. i hope :).

7. dfgasner

dfgasner Pen Pal - Newbie

I gues the one thing that I'm disapointed about is the fact that these Core Duo's aren't 64bit. I'm looking for a fast laptop that will last me 4-5 years. But I was hoping for it to be 64bit Vista capable. Unfourtunately you can only run the 32bit Vista on these laptops. Does anyone know if Gateway will release a new wide screen tablet this late summer or early fall when intel releases their laptop 64bit dual core processor?

Thanks

8. ViPaDawG

from what i've heard, if you are comfortable with it, you can pop in the newer chips thus replacing your current chip and a simple BIOS upgrade should get the job done, and you will be able to take advantage of the new chip technologies, becuase they share the same platform.

the newer platform chips do not come out until Q2 2007 from what i've heard.

9. dfgasner

dfgasner Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea that is what I heard, about the new mobile processor wont come out untill right after Vista true release. I guess I didn't know that the chips will be backward compatible. That will be cool then whenever I want to upgrade I can.

Thanks - This laptop looks awesome, I just can't wait untill this fall when I can finally buy one for school. Gotta save some cash first.

Thanks

10. good200

good200 Pen Pal - Newbie

:) As for carrying around my M 285. I purchased a Reaction
    wheeled case by Kenneth Cole. It comes with an inner carrying case
    that fits my M 285 perfectly. For everyday use, I carry my system in the inner case only. The inner case has enough room in it for my Passport HD, power cord and a couple of cables. There isn’t enough room for my extra battery.

When I travel around, I use the full case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.