New Gateway M285 Tablet Convertible

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Djarvis, May 27, 2006.

1. zancxia

zancxia Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm sorry... that is my fault. I guess I kept leaving the year unnoticed when I made my driver updates. Mine is from 7/5/05... the funny thing is I kept reverting back to it because I thought the current one was an older version. :eek: whoops... So, yeah, you're right.

I'm not sure what the issue is with your cpu0... I'd probably try running a virus/spyware scan. I'm not sure what else you could do about it... make sure that "Show processes from all users" is checked... if you have more than one user... Delete some programs you don't use?

2. brox

brox Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, been hearing alot about recalibrating the pen when you change orientaion. Well I was concerned and brought this up with my sales lady at gateway. Of course this is all heresay, I haven't received my machine yet. However, she says all you have to do is point the pen in the lower right hand corner and click once and should align it up without having to recalibrate all the time.

Let me know if she's right

3. good200

good200 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, my last review was in mid June when I first
    received my M285. My specs are:
    2.0 Duo
    80 GB 5400
    1400 ATI
    1 GB 667 ram
    DVD RW
    My system has been running solid. By the way, this is
    my first notebook. I have to recalibrate my pen each time I change the Screen orientation. I usually use the same
    orientation so I do not have to recalibrate much. I have
    done some video editing. That has worked well. The wifi
    Signal works very well. One thing I regret is not ordering
    the blue tooth feature. Now I have to use an external Bluetooth device if I want that feature. Overall, I think this computer Rocks.
    I am looking forward to using my tablet in class this September.:)

:)

4. RoyalBean

RoyalBean Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got my notebook today, and I ran a quick 3dmark05, I had a few things running in the background like the virus protection, I don't know how much that effects things, anyway, if anyone wants to compare, my configuration is

2.0 ghz
    64 mb x1400 video
    2 gb 667 mhz ram
    80 gb 5400 rpm HD

It scored a 1905, which is better than my desktop with a 128 mb card in it (a 4 year old 128 mb card Ti4600) 667

5. 20six15

20six15 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just received my cx210x, I feel short changed for everyone has a M285 :mad:

How do I run a benchmark test on my system?

6. Rockman000

Rockman000 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, new to the forums.

So far, my experience with this tablet since August 4 has been excellent. I received in 3 days in advance of Gateway's estimate and 1 day ahead of Fedex's estimate. Through NJ's low state tax, employee discounting and some persuasion with managers, I have been able to buy this tablet for roughly $2,400 which includes a 3 year total coverage plan with accidental damage coverage.

Although many mention that Gateway's Continuous sensing technology does not offer an sensitivity measure I have been able to get some basic sensitivity on Windows Live Messenger when handwriting my messages. Also, after initial reboots and restarts, I have only needed to re-calibrate my pen 10 times at most. What usually happens is the pen is not exactly on target but gets closer and closer as I re-calibrate to the point where its good enough for me right now. I have not had the chance to try out the software included but I will in the future, especially during school. One issue arose with the scroll bar not working on Mozilla Firefox 1.X on the synaptics pointing device but a quick driver update solved this issue. I was also able to get handwriting input to work on Firefox through some plugins. There is also a very convenient skin that works well with portrait viewing.

I purchased the Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook Sound Card and, after updating the drivers with the ones found on Creative's website, I have been able to successfully configure my machine to use the external sound card to playback audio on the notebook's built-in speakers. Sound is excellent when using better external speakers or headphones. Even the included earbuds with the sound card are quite adequate for immense sound quality improvement.

For those interested in web cams, I also purchased a Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks Pro. The hindge fits perfectly on to the LCD of this tablet pc and all of the features included with the web cam work flawlessly on Windows Live Messenger.

I also purchased a Microsoft Wireless Notebook Laser Mouse 6000 and aside from occassional messages informing me of weak mouse signal (which don't make any sense since the mouse is always moving smoothly) the mouse works perfectly with the tablet pc.

I am using the Targus UltraLite Carry Case which fits this tablet pc perfectly in either direction with the battery facing up. It fits all my accessories and the ac adapter TIGHTLY. I am using the 12-cell battery and I can easily get over 6 hours per charge when setting the LCD to minimum brightness.

With ATI's Mobility Radeon X1400, I have been able to play games like Guild Wars, Sims 2, and Titan Quest at near max graphics settings and when paired with my sound card, maxed hardware supported sound with EAX. Games run very well considering this is a tablet pc.

Heat can be an issue for some although when I use this machine for extended periods of time, my hands, arms, wrists, and legs adjust over time to the temperature of the tablet pc. This applies to both regular notebook mode and when using it on portrait tablet mode. Also the weight for this tablet is well over 7lbs. This will be a problem for many notebook users. At this weight, the extra grip provided by the 12-cell battery makes a difference and allows me to hold the tablet on my arm for some time. Although eventually, the weight will cause me to start looking for a place to settle down.

Specs:
    Core Duo T2500 2.0 ghz processor
    2048 MB 667 mhz DDR2 RAM
    100 GB @ 7200 RPM HDD
    8X Dual Layer DVD Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 64MB (Up to 256MB dynamically)
    12-cell lithium ion battery
    Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook Sound Card
    Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks Pro
    Microsoft Wireless Notebook Laser Mouse 6000

I will be updating as I continue to use this excellent tablet pc.

7. eros_deus1

eros_deus1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,
    I’m also wondering if this processor is soldered.:confused: I ordered the m-285 yesterday and the sales rep was wonderful. She said she’d try to find out about this but I haven’t heard back yet. If anyone knows, (or would mind looking at their unit to see how this processor is attached) please let us know.

This should be here in two weeks.

Specs:
    M285-e
    Duo 2.00GHz, 667Mhz FSB processor
    1024MB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
    ATI 64 MB Graphics Card
    8200RPM 80Gig Hard drive
    12 cell battery
    Bluetooth
    4 year warranty
    3 year accidental

The sales rep was wonderful; my subtotal was $1942.02 with $350 discount.
    She also comfirmed the monitor problem they were having (too many orders for their supply) but said that things were smoothing out (and since we ordered through the educational (business) line, these orders have priority over regular home / consumer orders).

8. kittycat

kittycat Pen Pal - Newbie

I use flash 5 aswell as photoshop to get alot of my work done.
    Since I am planning on doing frame by frame animations, its important that the pen doesnt get screwed up constantly and disrupt my workflow.

I have pretty good eyesight, so Im not worried about the screensize.

so I have the following questions:
    a) is recalibrating the pen something you do every time you boot up the tablet? or somthing that happens constantly.

b) Is it as pressure sensitive as your average wacom tablet? is it pressure sensitive at all?

9. EinsteinTech

EinsteinTech Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's the scoop on calibration. But let me first clarify that I did not obtain this information from an official Microsoft or OEM source, but through several years of reverse engineering and behavioral observation.

There's two types of calibration. One performed by the OEM which takes into account the size of the digitizer and components inside the tablet that may cause interference in certain parts (like a speaker I imagine). This is a very thorough calibration and it is not done per-machine, rather it's done per-model. This data is stored in the registry at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TabletPC\LinearityData

This is normally set by the OEM in their OS imaging process. Some, like Gateway, provide a driver or utility that will add this data to the registry.

Then there is the per-machine calibration that YOU do which accounts for slight differences in the position of the digitizer due to manufacturing differences. For example, if the digitizer is 1mm out of place or something. This also can help compensate for parallax, which is the effect you get of the cursor being slightly offset from the pen tip due to the thickness of the class and the angle at which you're holding the pen. You do this using the Tablet PC calibration utility and it adds information needed to compensate for this to the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\TabletPC\PenTiltData

Notice that the pen tilt data is stored PER-USER because right/left handedness and the angle at which you hold your pen will depend on how the Tablet PC corrects for this.

Unfortunately, in Windows XP, per-user calibration points are only stored in landscape and portrait. There is no difference between secondary portrait and secondary landscape which means if you frequently switch between all 4 orientations, then you'll need to recalibrate every time you go from a primary to secondary orientation. If you stick to one portrait and one landscape orientation, then there is no need to recalibrate. In Windows Vista, all 4 orientations are separately calibrated.

While it is possible that the digitizer can slightly move inside the machine, this is unlikely. So realistically, you should never have to recalibrate after you get it right unless:

1) There is something wrong with your pen or digitizer.
    2) You are using a different Windows logon user (or you reinstalled Windows, duh. :) )
    3) You've opened your Tablet PC or sent it in for repairs or something.
    4) You get a new pen.

Another myth that I keep seeing and I want to dispel is that calibrating several times will incrementally improve accuracy. This is not true. The calibration data is overwritten each time. Running calibration 5 times is no different than doing the exact same calibration that you did on the 5th time once.

Unfortunately, in Vista we still see only 4 calibration points which is a shame. I would like to see maybe a "simple" and "advanced" calibration process. The advanced could have maybe 16 points in various parts of the screen. It would make the digitizer so much more accurate.

10. dafuse

dafuse Pen Pal - Newbie

That's very informative, thanks. I guess there's a bit of luck-of-the-draw whether switching between the 2 landscape orientations requires a re-calibration or not: my first CX2724 never needed it, but it had another problem so I returned it. The one I use now is at least 8mm off from one to the other, so I have to re-calibrate every time when going from primary to secondary landscape.

The only time I use primary landscape is when my notebook is docked, and I want to write on it while still having the external monitor displaying the desktop. Every other time, I use secondary landscape (with the battery away from me). I wish I could have the orientation not affect the external monitor, but that doesn't seem to be possible. Oh well. I have to admit that I've gotten pretty quick at recalibrating ;-)