New Gateway 14 inch tablet - Gateway 295 Series

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by thewhalepimp, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thewhalepimp

thewhalepimp Pimp Master

I dont know how many of you are familliar with IMSA (the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy), but it is a public residential high school in Illinois for gifted students. Anyways, I am going there next year and they started a required tablet initiative.

In doing so, they gave us options on models we could purchase and one of them was the gateway 295 series. Link is on the bottom.

Looks pretty good. Option of a Radeon x2300 (128MB dedicated, 256MB w/ hypermemory), and WACOM!

http://imsa.edu/learning/acresources/cns/computer_purchase/

Click on the link for "tablet comparison chart". I"ll definately be choosing this laptop and i'll be sure to write a review.

This tablet initiative with the 295 is also at a university, and i'll post the link here. the website even details the basic specs, which include the intel x3100 GPU.

http://www.usd.edu/med/nursing/tablet_quote_2007.doc

EDIT: Another link which details base specs:

www.msj.edu/academics/computing/bottomline/tabletpc/

Basically, i dont want you guys running out and purchasing cx210x's when the next thing is right aroudn the corner. They're available to IMSA students at the end of this month.

EDIT: Thanks to the moderator who added this info into a news posting on the home page.

Peace out

2. airgaps

airgaps Scribbler - Standard Member

Well it sounds a like a nice Pc...no info on weight and size..I guess should be the same as the cx210?

3. g2tl

g2tl Scribbler - Standard Member

i would cancel my x61t if this one weighs 6lb
    but i doubt it :p

4. kensei

kensei Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey option of an integrated graphics card!

5. Michael-P

Michael-P Pen Pal - Newbie

....finally dedicated graphics card!!!!

6. airgaps

airgaps Scribbler - Standard Member

I guess the 'problem' , which may not be, is the weight .I really hope is around 6 pounds or so..it would be awesome. I don't think so either as the battery must be quiet big/heavy to be able to sustain the video card for a decent amount of time.

A modular DVD/Batt would be awesome to..to avoid carrying unnecessary weight some times and improve battery life if needed.

To be honest the screen size may be a bit big denending on what your main purpose is (tablet/laptop use rate). I wish there was a nice 13 inch screen with discrete graphics...

We must wait to see how it goes...

7. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

With a link Mike (P8RSON) provided in the News Headline thread it appears that the new Gateway 295 weighs 6.2 pounds. You can see the specifications of it here.

I doubt you'll cancel your order, but just making it clear across of the specifications (albeit not official, hopefully there will not be any real surprises when the official specifications are released). :)

8. ricera10

ricera10 Pen Pal - Newbie

These are decidedly better than the toshiba M400s they had last year. You can see teachers with even M4s...

9. Anonymouse

Anonymouse A nondescript mouse

Also, that page quotes teh 6.2 lbs as the weight with the 8 cell battery, not the 12 cell battery. I'm still debating cancelling my x61 order, as this Gateway is practically the tablet I've been waiting over 2 years for. It is hard, though, since the price on the x61 was so nice, and since I clicked the "check out order" button on the lenovo page I've convinced myself to like/want a 12" light tablet that runs cool and has long battery life, and that I could always just use other computers for the graphics intensive work I do. UGH, decisions decisions.

This is why I don't understand when companies keep their products secret until so close to "launch". Sure I understand if it is some completely new tech, or a product that they want to keep hidden from their competitors, but pretty much everyone else has pulled out of the 14" tablet marketspace giving Gateway a monopoly. Anyone who wanted the previous model has had ample time to buy it, and eventually people like me are just going to give up waiting. I feel like I'm in some sort of psychological experiment where they see if they can train me to hold out forever to buy a product that may or may not ever come out.

*presses BUY button* *BZZZZZZ-recieves large electrical shock*

10. dans595

dans595 Pen Pal - Newbie

Of course this info comes days after my recieving the CX210X. Oh well, c'est vi. I'm still very happy with the CX210X :].