New Fujitsu T8140 Tablet PC Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by beq, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thaluckyspoon

thaluckyspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes an ulv IS a joke when you compare the next step up processor, a low voltage. You get twice the performance and sacrifice maybe 2 hours of battery life MAX.

Don't kid yourself. An ULV processor will be running at 100% throttle whenever you try to multi-task in vista. This will result in lower battery life and defeat the purpose of having an ULV. IMO a L7500/L7300 would have been a much better all around choice.

Having said that I am the kind of guy who wants to zip around with absolutely no waiting at all. I can understand someone who isn't like that. Hopefully you can understand my point of view.

2. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

Interesting. I can't wait for models like this one to drop in price in the near future.

3. Sassafras

Sassafras Scribbler - Standard Member

The websites I have surfed on this say 16 or 32 SSD or a 30-80 Gig 5400 RPM hardrive. But I swear I found some that said the 64 Gb SSD. I just can't find them now.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/

http://translate.google.com/transla...v=/search?q=Fujitsu+T8140&start=20&hl=en&sa=N

Also, as for battery life with vista its about an hour less. But still...who's complaining! The 11 hour specs are with XP as the operating system. The above link explains this.

The only other thing I have to say is that why 1.3" thick? That is only a tad bit slimmer than the T4220 and there is no optical drive. I would love to see a convertible come in around 1.1". Regardless though I really like the looks of this tablet!

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My apologies... what I should have said was ~ by the time it ships and we see it, this should be available in either a 32GB or 64GB SSD.

5. mikese

mikese Pen Pal - Newbie

And using an LV processor would result in a larger machine which weighs a pound or so more. If you don't care about those things, then this obviously isn't the machine for you. I do value those things, as well as long battery life, so I find this machine very interesting.

As I said in my last post, I have a Toshiba tablet that isn't much faster (if it's any faster) than this machine is, and it does just fine. Yes, that includes multitasking, and yes, it is running Vista-- it doesn't run at "100% throttle" just because I've got a bunch of apps running at once. This machine weighs about half what my Toshiba does, and has almost twice the battery life. Sign me up.

6. ensoll

ensoll Pen Pal - Newbie

Any ideas or insights on how this fits into Fujitsu's overall tablet plans? Is this a sign that there won't be a revision of the P1610? With the U8240 and now the T8140 I'm not sure what the chances are of the P1610 series continuing.

7. P8RSON

No it won't effect the P1610.... it has it's own part of the ultra-mobile market.

I often communicate with Fujitsu Siemens UK (FSCUK) and on one conversation a few months back the topic of Tablets and the way forward was put down.
    FSCUK have no plans or interest in cutting down on the Tablet scene, their intension is the opposite; to have a Tablet of sort in most size areas.

The Ultra small 5.6"" U Series, the 8.9" P Series, 10.4" & 12.1" Slates, 12.1" 4100 & 8100 T Series.
    No plans were mentioned of a larger 14" and I don't expect that to surface soon.
    However, notice that Fujitsu and FSC have the P7000 Series with a 10.6" screen.
    They have a Slate with a 10.4" screen but not a convertible.... The P7120 available in both Laptop & Tablet would complete the line up.

....and before anyone should ask... no I don't have written privy information to that :)

8. manhattan

manhattan Scribbler - Standard Member

Sounds pretty Sweet. I'm liking the resolution, and the 3.3 lbs. I'm indifferent about SSD. It's the wave of the Future, but it's not where it needs to be yet. I often transfer large Files From my desktop to my TC1100. And as far as I understand SSD has slower write speeds than a HDD.

In any event I would bite on Something like this if they Could some how miraculously fit a dedicated video Card in there; Like the LG C1 w/its Go7400 (but >= 8400 instead, of course). Otherwise it may be difficult for me to justify upgrading From my 1.2 GHz ULV P-M w/2g RAM & 7200 RPM; just for the resolution I like;considering the TC1100 isn't exceptionally heavy and It performs so-so ~enough~, in vista, for me.

9. bluefish

bluefish Pen Pal - Newbie

Woa, this has me VERY interested. Any idea if it has a CD drive/bay? I hope it does.

As for ULV, I used an Pentium M ULV machine for 3 years and found it zippy enough. This one is Core 2 Duo, so it should be even faster.

edit: Bummer, it doesn't seem to have an optical bay nor even a trackpad. This kind of ruins it for me, can't go without both of those. I wonder if this is supposed to be the next evolution of the T line? i.e. no more optical from now on? :(

10. P8RSON

No it's not going to replace the current T 4000 series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.