new EP121 giving me electric shocks

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by tgv, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgv

tgv Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry to post again about what is Clearly not a problem for other people, but I just also wanted to ask if it ispossible with a unit that is working corectly to get a noticeably unpleasant discharge by holding a finger a few millimetes from the glass of the screen, as this has also happened to me with this tablet

anyway its definitely going back, it also has a couple of other issues (sticky volume rocker that works fine fir increasing volume but not so well for lowering, VERY tight lower usb port, strange clicking noises on occasion coming from the lower left of the unit and a home button that was slightly scratched on arrival.) ive just spoken to amazon via chat and they seemvery good returns (fits in with what i ve heardfrom othersbut its thefirst time ive had to test them, so hopefully the whole process goes smoothly.

2. tgv

tgv Pen Pal - Newbie

Further to the issue with my finger, it seems the stylus can also conduct electricity and give me a shock! I just had the slate on battery power and used the stylus to 'hover' over the battery icon to see how much time I had left, and received a shock from the screen , across a few millimetres of air, up through the stylus and into my finger-ow! The shock made me-throw the stylus in the air! So it 's not just an issue when I catch the metal frame as I thought, but also coming from the glass, and it happens on battery power too

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Wow. Not sure how I missed this discussion thread.

tgv: My strong recommendation is that you discontinue using your EP121 immediately and return it for a refund or an exchange. The behaviors that you are describing are definitely not right! Receiving shocks from the frame, while only on battery power, indicate some sort of serious wiring error or insulation malfunction.

<<...In the meantime, be sure to touch something metal (to ground yourself) before you handle the tablet...>>

ABSOLUTELY the wrong thing to do! If the tablet is a significant current source (mostly concerned here if you have the AC adapter plugged in), this could allow current to flow through you to ground. Since you would likely be holding or touching the EP, this current path would lead through your chest. This is how people are electrocuted!

Be careful, and good luck...

4. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I suggested this solely because the OP thought it might be static electricity. That has been ruled out. So as you say, that advice is NULL and void. ;)

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

From what I can remember, that's standard on the EP121.

6. tgv

tgv Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, thanks again guys for your comments and concern. The unit is packed up now ready for collection so it won´t be doing me any harm.

Having never used a tablet pc before I don´t really know what is normal. And not being really technical or knowing about electricity I don´t know if it´s static electricity or something different. I seem to have experienced 3 different things, which may be related or may be complete coincidences.

The first one the shock I got when unpacking I do put down to static as when reboxing everything I noticed the plastic wrapping and plastic bags everything was in inside the box seem to generate a fair bit of static.

Then there´s the issue with the metalic part of the case, which gave me sharp shocks on seeral ocasions, normally on my bare arm as I rested it when inking. The first time I wasn´t even sure if it was a shock, I thought I´d somehow caught one of my arm hairs on something(!) and it had got pulled out (that was the time of sensation), but then I realised there was nothing there to catch a hair on and when it happened the next times i identified it as a shock

Then there are the two, pobably the strongest shocks, I got from the screen itself, once when I was holding my finger just above it (not toucing it), and, the worst of all which I mentioned before caused me to throw the digitizer in the air instinctively (!), when I was using the digitizer to ´hover´above the battery icon and it jumped the centimetre from the glass up through the digitizer and through me!

As I say, I´m not technical but I do understand that these touch screens actually make use of static electricity and small discharges through the finger otherwise they wouldn´t know when and where you touched the screen! so I may be completely wrong but I´m worried that the ep121 was not faulty (at least if it was faulty it would explain the issue) and it´s more of an issue of me being somehow more sensitive than other people to the discharges (I know people who are particularly prone to static shocks from touching cars, doorhandles etc, but I´m not one of them). I do have a smartphone and never experienced anything like this from touching it, but I guess a 4 inch screen has much smaller static charge than a 12 inch one.

In any case my experience has been offputting enough that eventally I´ve decided to replace the ep121 with a samsung. It was always a difficult decision between the two but I´m going to give tje other product a try and see if a) i dont have big screen lift problems and b) i dont have these issues with the electricity. If I do have similar issues it will definitely confirm that its something wrong with me not the ep121!

7. fa6ade

fa6ade Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the thing where the edge zaps you if it's plugged in. Doesn't bother me that much though.

8. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

I would worry if it is plug in.. likely a leak from high voltage side.. should check with ASUS.

9. tgv

tgv Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, at least I can see I'm not the only one. I thought I was going a bit crazy. I guess whether it bothers you or not depends on the way you use the slate. If you're unlikely to do much inking plugged in, you may feel it's not an issue. Maybe even a longsleeved shirt would stop it (I had bare arms when it happened to me). In any case, I was not comfortable using it so I've sent it back. I really don't know enough to say if it could be dangerous but a couple of posters seem to think so you might want to take their advice and consult ASUS, fa6ade.

10. tgv

tgv Pen Pal - Newbie

Well just to confirm and probably close the thread I guess, my replacement s7s arrived 2 days ago and the problem was definitely with the ep121 and not with me our my environment, as the Samsung is giving me none of these issues-it's much more pleasant to use.what I don't know, as I didn't try a replacement ep121, is if it was an issue just with my unit or with this slate in general.anyway I'm happy with my slate despite the slightly smaller screen size etc. I do have a couple of questions but they'll be going in the Samsung forum! Thanks again for your advice with this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.