New driver for ATI Radeon HD 3200 was out July 21st. Did anyone try updating?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Przemek, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Crito

Crito Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, the HD 3200 is a very capable IGP. It's not quite as fast as the HD 2600 XT in my HP Dragon laptop, but I've yet to find anything I can't run. I've also noticed temps are coming down a little now that the laptop is "broken in", so to speak. I believe this is due to the PCM (phase change material) they use on the heatsinks. Many people mistakingly think it's thermal tape when new. When heated up it turns to a liquid/gel and flows into air pockets though. That's my understanding anyways.

2. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Crito,

Nice work on the pictorial. :)

3. Crito

Thanks 2.0, just trying to give a little back to the forum/site. I probably wouldn't have bought my tx2500 had it not been for the excellent review I found here.

Hopefully, now that HP's branded driver has been replaced by ATI's generic one, I won't have to go through that whole mess again in the future. Driver upgrades should work fairly "normally" from now on.

4. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

yep, props for taking the time to take and upload the pics... thanks

And I agree, I love the little 3200, and am very impressed and happy with it's performance!

5. cHaNg-sTa

cHaNg-sTa Pen Pal - Newbie

I was wondering what kind of FPS you were getting. Do you have CS:Source to try perhaps? I just did the regular install and I've been trying to play Source online, but when there's shooting/explosives on the screen, my fps drops to like 15-20 =/

EDIT: I tried to reinstall the drivers by following your steps, but what happens when I don't have the original disc at the "pick have disk option"?

6. Crito

The original disk is the driver you downloaded and extracted but canceled out of installing. It's probably in the default location I gave you.

7. drshakawa

drshakawa Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for the pics! worked alright and i havent had any problems. and it actually fixed a problem in The Sims 2 where the tv's were all just black with no animation

8. prepseb

prepseb Scribbler - Standard Member

So GTA IV will run on that?

9. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

10. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Pen Pal - Newbie

What about the CCC? If I install the new CCC as well would that break things like Powerplay?