New driver for ATI Radeon HD 3200 was out July 21st. Did anyone try updating?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Przemek, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Crito

Crito Scribbler - Standard Member

!@#$ now the touch is working but not the pen... must be whatever piece of software is responsible for switching between them that got hosed. Noticed that even before, when the pen seemed to be working, I could no longer "press-and-hold' right click. So reinstalling wacom software didn't quite fix everything with that part anyways.

Well, after completing my restore (in about three hours -- I used 7 DVD+Rs) I'll d/l just the driver instead of the full catalyst update package and try again through device mangler. Hopefully that works like you guys say or my entire Saturday will be devoted to restoring. ;) JK

2. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Updated to 8.7. Best way to do it is to download the driver then run it so that it installs all the files - BUT DO NOT complete the installation. Instead, use the update driver method by click on the driver in control panel. Then navigate to the ATI folder/support/packages/drivers/display.

Anyway 3dmark06 score 1635 - plugged in high perfromance

3. Crito

Vista Backup was smart enough to recognize my HP restore partition hadn't changed, so the 'complete' backup ended up only restoring C:. Anywho, I then downloaded the 8.7 driver and attempted to use update in Device Manager and was told by Windows that "the best driver is already installed." So, for those of you in same boat, here's the trick.

However you like getting to device manager works fine... I like right clicking the Computer icon and selecting manage.

[​IMG]

From the driver properties page click the update button as usual.

[​IMG]

Browse your computer for driver software.

[​IMG]

DO NOT search for the driver here! Select the pick from list option instead.

[​IMG]

Click the "have disk" button here and navigate to the driver directory, which by default would be:
    C:\ATI\SUPPORT\8-7_vista64_dd_66000\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH6A_INF

[​IMG]

The list of driver will then be reloaded showing just one for the HD 3200. That's the new driver which we can finally select and get windows to install.

[​IMG]

I decided to reboot after the install too but otherwise that was it! Everything seems to be working OK thus far. And I waited a few hours before posting this time too. :eek: hehe

4. Crito

Oh, and just to reiterate what 2.0 said earlier... when you click the driver download it first extracts the driver files and then launches the driver setup program. Let it extract all the files but cancel out of the install program.

5. cloudnine

cloudnine Scribbler - Standard Member

How is the compatibility so far? Have you experienced any new problems with the drivers?

6. Crito

Been playing WoW all night. Won two Arathi Basin PvP matches even. :D Everything still working fine here.

7. kristhagreat

kristhagreat Pen Pal - Newbie

Devil May Cry 4 works!

8. cloudnine

How do we know if the driver install succeeded?

9. Crito

[​IMG]

10. cloudnine

Excellent~

I have yet to benchmark the HD 3200 yet, but it has exceeded all my expectations for an IGP.

Games I've played so far;
    SimCity 4
    Halflife 2 series
    TF2
    GRID
    Oblivion
    Assassins Creed
    Oblivion
    Time Leap (Japanese)
    Love Death 2 (Japanese)

All run exceptionally well!