New driver for ATI Radeon HD 3200 was out July 21st. Did anyone try updating?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Przemek, Sep 9, 2008.

1. peerah

peerah Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you get yours updated? I was wondering if it would kill our tx2510us/2500z!!! I have this problem with mine locking up every time after it awakens from sleep mode and someone suggested here that it might be linked to the display driver and updating would probably be helpful.

Thanks!

2. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried it, it installs and works fine, but mines now doing something wierd with sleep mode and closing the lid, plus one of my games no longers runs, just crashes the video driver and goes back to desktop.... I've been running the 8.6's, the new ones are 8.7's, and i think it was 8.5's or 8.4's that came from HP... so, I'm gonna go back to the 8.6's, as those ran great and had no issues I'm aware of, but will try the next set that comes out whenever that is, just gonna pass on these.

3. evensong

evensong Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't even bother waiting for HP to release new drivers. I just update them manually with the new Catalysts. Don't install it from the .exe though, you'll lose power play. You need to install from Window's driver update function.

4. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

hey evensong, curious what you said about installing through windows as opposed to the exe install program... extract them first and then use windows driver update or what? This is my first ATI machine in a while, been using Nvidia stuff for the last couple years. And, guess what? I have no power play. So, thanks for the tip, will play around with it.

5. delvestoodeep

delvestoodeep Pen Pal - Newbie

I've installed the 8-7 Vista 64 drivers and have had no loss of functionality at all. Unfortunately, it still didn't raise my gaming graphics WEI score up to 4.0.

There WAS a scary moment after they were installed where the touch screen went grossly out of alignment - like, the pointer was almost two-three inches to the left of where my finger or pen was. Even calibrating it was impossible. It simply failed. Then I had a bright idea. "Maybe I should restart it after a driver install, even if the installation itself didn't suggest or require it." After it rebooted, it was totally fine.

In hindsight, I wish I would have run 3dmark06 before I installed the drivers and then again after to see if there was any improvement. I ran it after and ended up with something like 1630+, which is better than I had been led to expect from earlier reviews.

6. nigel

nigel Pen Pal - Newbie

After I've install 8-7, there were a couple times my screen become all fuzzy, and then system hanged. I had to reboot it to clear it out. This behavior normally happened when I had my external screen attached. And I set my desktop to be extended mode. Don't know what caused it. Any idea?

7. FlyBoyNH

FlyBoyNH Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All;

I just checked the ATI website for drivers and couldn't find them. The driver download tool asks for the operating system and when I select Vista 32bit there is no HD 3200.

I have the HP tx 2510us which does have a 64 bit Turion processor but the Windows version is definately 32bit.

Can anyone post a link for a knucklehead like me?

Thanks!

8. FlyBoyNH

FlyBoyNH Pen Pal - Newbie

Nevermind - I found it.

9. Crito

Crito Scribbler - Standard Member

The new driver worked for me (on my tx2500) without any problems. FPS in WoW went up quite a bit too -- guestimate 10-20 FPS average increase.

10. Crito

Crito Scribbler - Standard Member

Oops, guess I spoke too soon. Looks like the touch input isn't working. Reinstalling the wacom software seemed to fix everything with the pen, but can't get the finger part working again. I installed through exe... maybe that's why.

Anyways, time to test that "CompletePC" image I made yesterday. One of the main reasons I got Ultimate was for that backup option. Business edition has it too but that wasn't available when I ordered.