New Dell XPS 15 2 in 1 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Dell' started by alextrela182, Dec 29, 2017.

1. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

The two fans at the bottom are from what will be most likely the XPS 13 mainboard laying on top of the XPS 15 battery :D (see my previous post)
    But here we can see how much bigger the fans of the XPS 15 are.

ATIVQ likes this.
  2. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Marty @Azzart
    It might be because only a few people even care about the pen for handwriting or art.
    99% of the people out there are crap at art and ( like me ) are faster on a keyboard then with handwriting,
    or aren't used to handwriting anymore.
    Most so called business people that I know that have TP10 or yogas or something similar don't even know that
    they have devices they could write on, they have them for all the other qualities.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Oops!

4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The situation I am referring to is when the pen is actually put front-and-center at the display booth (such as at CES).

2-in-1 advertising will often feature large advertisements promoting pen/inking capabilities and the physical pen will be placed right next to the keyboard.

In that situation, the rare reviewer who actually picks up the pen, usually makes no more than a few cursory marks.

Put in perspective, that would be like going up to device with an interesting looking keyboard, then typing out a few random characters and confirming they indeed appear on the screen—which tells the audience exactly nothing. :confused:

(PS. I think 99% of people think they are crap at art, but if you think back, we all started out as artists as kids drawing with crayons. ;))

Azzart likes this.
  5. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you would have seen my drawings, you would know I'm crap at art.

hiramkey likes this.
  6. Marty

Even a great master like Picasso said, “It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.”

Since we all do art as children, everyone innately possesses the ability for art. If you've got a tablet, you should try it. ;)

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Oh man if Dell had only gone with EMR... this looks like a really nice machine though.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  8. yodamiked

yodamiked Pen Pal - Newbie

Nail on the head right there, across almost all review mediums. I can't tell you how many different online reviews I've read or youtube video reviews I've watched where the reviewer says that the pen seems to work, and that's it. I've even had reviewers make assumptions based on nothing but (I'm assuming) advertising, such as reviewers stating that the Samsung s pen would probably be ok for handwriting, but any artists out there would probably want to look at a Surface product, without giving any reasoning or, apparently, using the pen. :vbconfused:

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  9. Marty

Lol...probably based solely in the pen barrel size.

Technological understanding of digitizers seems pretty poor among tech reviewers, but curiously, also within the digital art community too.

Come to think of it, has anyone found accurate and detailed digitizer info outside of this forum? (There used to be some good posts about Wacom UD pens, but for the more recent AES stuff...it's a wasteland in terms of specs and engineering info.)

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

People are generally clueless about color gamut and color bit depth too. Everything that's not simplified into a benchmark is almost entirely absent from tech reporting and consumer understanding.

DRTigerlilly and Azzart like this.