New Dell Stylus 11/3/14

Discussion in 'Dell' started by chevypad, Nov 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwerksman

rwerksman Scribbler - Standard Member

02. Absolutely positively.

2. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

LOL. Good to see that we have a Dell rep. here. ;)

3. Kavu2

Kavu2 Pen Pal - Newbie

First, thank you for your review and updates on stylus performance. W/re to the stylus next to tablet....maybe just leave it next/close to tablet at night or when not in use and check later whether it drains the battery at an excessive rate. I think the previous version(s) managed to drain in a few days or a week at the most...at least as per those who had issues reported. I don't think each and every owner had this problem, but many apparently did. Overall, some owners had line issues others battery problems etc. So it was a mish-mash of problems that caused the frustrations.

So it is with great pleasure to read these positive reports of this latest version (part no. 750-AAGN). Thank you again for your reports/reviews

4. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I had experimented with the earlier active stylus and tested the off state by placing the stylus alongside the tablet for a bit and then placing it for use on top of the tablet, to see if the hover circle appeared. If the hover circle did not appear and the stylus only would be active again by touching its tip to the tablet, the stylus had shut down.

In my experimentation, the stylus would auto-shutoff after 30-90 seconds, and just a few inches from the tablet's face--the stylus would shut down if put in a stylus loop on the side or the back of the tablet. My guess is, the new version will perform similarly.

Kavu2 likes this.
  5. Chrischi1988

Chrischi1988 Scribbler - Standard Member

My main concern is the writing picture in OneNote, metro or desktop, doesnt matter :)
    Does the writing still look so scrawly or is it rounded up? You said the pressure sensitivity work good, too? Because with an old A02 the pressure sensitivity worked, but not in a usable way. Do you have a Surface Pro 3? Does the pen of the Surface Pro3 work similar to the new Dell stylus, especially in terms of writing picture and pressure sensitivity. This is all I care about :) Thx in advance!

6. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the overview, if you have time could you:
    put the screen at 100% zoom, just write the alphabet as you normally would.
    Zoom right into 10 or so letters and post a screen capture. Or perhaps attach the save-as-PDF file.

Very curious to know how 'smooth' it is, the A02 was really jaggered and wobbly when you zoom in

7. jnkstuff

jnkstuff Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, heard about this stylus earlier this week. Perfect timing since I appear to have lost my old version 2 pen. Ordered this from Dell Tuesday and received Friday. This works awesome! I was lucky and never had many issues with the version 2 pen, but this one just seems to work better. Nice fine point. No dragged ends when you are finishing a word. So far pretty impressed.

8. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

I also got the new silver/black pen from Synaptics in combo with a Dell Venue 11 Pro i3 and it's great!!!! ( I have not tested any of the other Synaptics pens yet)

I have used the following pens so far:
    Wacom (see tablets in my signature) for years
    N-Trig till version 4 for testing and the version 3.5 in the Q572 for 6 months
    Atmel version 2 for 2.5 months

and ....the Synaptics is just AWESOME!!! (at least for note-taking and simple sketching)

First of all you need to calibrate it, out of the box, it is just "unusable" when you have high expectations.

The following programs have been used:

MS Journal (best results, Wacom like feeling!!!!)
    MS OneNote Metro
    Grahl Software PDF Annotator
    Drawboard PDF

First of all, it is very important to check all the programs for your pen system individually!

Some do work better with one software-system or the other. As I have used the HP Elitepad 1000 G2 for some time now, I will mainly focus on these two pen technologies. I still have a HP Elitebook 2760p with Wacom technology, though.

While I can say that the differences between the Atmel R2 and the Synaptics are not very stark, I still would go for the Synaptics, above all the overall writing feel and precision in the MS Journal impressed me. Wacom, Atmel and Synaptics were not able to create straight lines when I used a ruler. They were all wobbly at some point and I tried it multiple times on each system with low speed (6 cm in 5 seconds).

However, I cannot confirm this 'advantage' of the Synaptics in the PDF Annotator right now and I still need to do more testing to make up my mind about it.

In OneNote Metro both are on par but less smoth than Wacom (of course).

Accuracy in the corner is just great with both Atmel and Synaptics as long as I can tell and you better do not get me started with Wacom here.

Haven't tried testing Drawboard PDF yet, BUT I will delete this piece of **rb**e again as it is way less smooth than PDF Annotator when writing on PDFs. Lines and strokes look incomplete, are less accurate and are not smoothened when you lift the pen after writing. Further more the palm rejection is not working properly, either!
    I will test it with the Synaptics anyway, maybe it will turn out better, but I highly doubt it.

9. Moist

Moist Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  10. meandu229

meandu229 Pen Pal - Newbie

So just got dell to send me out a new stylus as my Rev A02 battery lasted 2 days (mfg date July 2014).
    Ill update with how my new one is. Took a while through the support channels but finally got them to give in and send me a new one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.