New Dell Stylus 11/3/14

Discussion in 'Dell' started by chevypad, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Chrischi1988

Chrischi1988 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, rev a02 is still the old one, we have that since april.

2. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

Any new drivers required?
    Ours are supposed to arrive tomorrow, but I am away on a business trip, so I'm having the head of our Q&Q dept. do a quick compatibility test on a V8P and V11P, but I will do a more complete test once I return.

-Randall Garrett-

/end/

3. Chrischi1988

Man, I am really awaiting the new reviews, once the pen is out for the general public. Where did you guys get the new one from? Directly from Dell?

I am still waiting for my pen replacement... they take a lot of time... Dell received my old one on September 26th... its 1 1/2 month already... hope if they send a new one, that it is the new revision... Dont want to have waited 2 month for a replacement and then get a buggy A02 again... I mean, I also have a second stylus, also A02 which works much better than the one I have sent back. I hope it really is an improvement, especially in the writing... hopefully not as scrawly anymore.

4. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

I ordered ours directly from Dell yesterday and the tracking notice said it was delivered to our offices a few minutes ago. I have not gotten word back from my QA guys yet - it may be sitting on the receptionists desk...

-Randall Garrett-

/end/

5. mambastik

mambastik Pen Pal - Newbie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (100% view if you want to see the pen tip closer here http://i.imgur.com/cLYXJxH.jpg)

Ordered from Dell store Tuesday and arrived Thursday. I'll write up my first impressions.

Before I start, some background. I've never used any of the previous Dell Active Stylus, only read about complaints and watched numerous YouTube videos. I've clocked in years of use with Wacom while note taking in college. I have used and tried Surface Pro 2/3 pens that were on display in store.

Background about my Venue 8 Pro - nothing special. I didn't do any special updates or modifications, only let Windows automatically update.

First of all every single complaint I've read here and watched on YouTube is gone. Gone. It writes as smooth as Wacom and as accurate as Surface Pros. Initial testing on metro OneNote shows working pressure and buttons right out of the packaging with no settings touched. It was literally: Open pen, slide in battery, start writing. The little aiming dot is showing as well, with puddle-like effects when tapping on the desktop. As for feel, it feels like plastic on glass - no resistance. This is where the Surface Pro 3's pen comes on top where it has a semi rubbery texture which provide a better writing experience. I will be applying a matte screen protector later tonight. Will update soon with results and writing feel.

Initial final thoughts, if you're hanging on to your old Wacom tablet PCs, this is a true replacement. If you're looking for a smaller alternative to a 10-13 inch Surface Pro for note taking, this is a true replacement. It really performs just as well. I took a short quick video of me scratching up some straight lines. Performance is fast, nimble, accurate, and no "leaking" ink or tails. It's really that good.

crashsuit, Mi An, Mikerman and 3 others like this.
  6. Chrischi1988

Why does Dell take so long to replace my pen :confused:

Well, at least the wait will be worth it :D

I wonder, when we will finally get this one in germany...

Does it still say Rev A02 on the back of the package?

Well, nice video by the way, it shows, that it reacts to all the input, without drawing extra lines or forgetting some :)

This is like christmas^^ I really cannot wait... ;)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  7. alex2539

alex2539 Pen Pal - Newbie

Please try to draw a long line but in slow motion.
    My stylus stop drawing after a while and i have to tap the screen again and continue the line.

8. Derdes

Derdes Pen Pal - Newbie

The new version is RevA00 with mfg date Oct/14. Got one today for testing. I only had a quick try on a Venue of a colleague and will do more tests at the weekend. First impression is, that it works great. My old RevA02 stylus also suffers from bad pressure sensitivity with fading lines. Seems to be gone with the new version, but I will report in more detail after extensive tests.

9. Chrischi1988

When you test it, can you gives a quick info on, how the writing looks in OneNote? Is it still scrawly or does it work really well now?

10. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you for the detailed description!

I would also like to know how the pen performs in terms of the precision at the edges and corners of the screen?