New Dell Stylus 11/3/14

Discussion in 'Dell' started by chevypad, Nov 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. internalaudit

internalaudit Pen Pal - Newbie

2. internalaudit

internalaudit Pen Pal - Newbie

3. NotBatman

NotBatman Pen Pal - Newbie

I want to echo this, there's such surprisingly little information for artists to go on, both in regard to synaptics and these dell tablets. I'm not sure if artists were scared away during the early days and never came back, or if synaptics really is just a bad solution for art/design work, because you never hear about it used for those applications.

4. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5. pwyll

pwyll Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know if this is late enough to be "necro-posting" or not, but I arrived here searching for pressure sensitivity working in art programs. I have not tested in GIMP, but the new pen works as I would expect in both Photoshop and Art Rage. Unfortunately it doesn't seems to have any pressure sensitivity in Manga Studio, but I am updating/reinstalling drivers now to see if that makes a difference.

6. marcelol

marcelol Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone try the newer Dell Active Stylus ( PN556W ) model? It's WACOM based now.

7. pwyll

pwyll Pen Pal - Newbie

Reinstalling/updating drivers did not help. There may be settings I'm missing in the Smith Micro program, though.

According to this thread http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/wacom-ist-the-new-dell-active-stylus.67580/ the 2015 Venue 8 Pro is the only Venue tablet using the Wacom digitizers so far, so it will be the only table that can use a Wacom pen/stylus. Synaptics and Wacom use vastly different technologies so the hardware is not interchangeable.

8. majortom1981

majortom1981 Pen Pal - Newbie

The new wacom stylus works with the dell venue 10 and dell venue pro 10. That is straight from wacom.

9. pwyll

pwyll Pen Pal - Newbie

According to Dell's site, they've just released a new line of Venue 10/Pro's as of January 7, 2016. If they use wacom digitizers then wacom stylii should work with them. That does not change the fact that as of the time the thread I quoted was written it was accurate, nor does it change the fact that Wacom stylii will not work with Synaptics digitizers (or vice-versa), as I said.

This thread was started when Dell was using Synaptics digitizers exclusively on the Venue series in order to discuss whether or not new revisions of the Synaptics stylii represented real-world improvements or not. If you have a Venue with a wacom digitizer you would be better served by starting a new thread for questions, if your digitizer is a Synaptics version then the Wacom stylus will be incompatible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.