New Dell Stylus 11/3/14

Discussion in 'Dell' started by chevypad, Nov 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chevypad

chevypad Pen Pal - Newbie

Just to offer some negative feedback - I got mine on Jan 1, replaced the battery around Feb 1 after moderate usage. Using Amazon's AAAA (for better or worse) I got about 2 weeks usage out of the first battery, but increasingly unscrewed and reinserted the battery towards the end. Tried a new battery, and it worked like a charm... until it didn't. Even with another brand new battery. Even more frequent unscrew-reset-battery-try agains. I left it at the office over the weekend, and on Monday it was completely unresponsive, no matter if I tried some new batteries or used an old one or broke out another new one that had never been used.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Amazon's batteries aren't totally up to snuff, and I don't have a device to measure if the batteries are any good at all, but considering the first one that I tried went 2 weeks, they aren't all too bad. Then the next went in 2 days, and then after trying 2 brand new never-been-used batteries to see if the stylus would respond at all, I'm wondering if this is more the stylus' fault and am contacting Dell...

Love(d) using it, I never owned the old stylus due to the negative reviews but this boosted my use and function of the tablet (which I already used daily).

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

A trick we did to N-Trig pens when they had battery issues like you describe was to remove the mechanism and clean the contacts with electroclean. Don't know if you can do that with the Synaptics pen but it might be worth a look.

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Yes, cleaning the contacts of the pen helps. To make sure it is contact corrosion and not a dead battery, measure the battery voltage. Batteries should be good down to about .9v. Anything above 1.1 or 1.2v is corroding contacts and time to clean the pen contacts.

4. 996gt2

996gt2 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just got my new 750-AAGN pen today, Rev A00.

I'm not sure how bad some of your old A01/A02 styluses were, but I don't notice a huge improvement with the 750-AAGN pen. I had a pretty good copy of the A01 pen (I tested about 10 at the store and picked the best one), and while the new 750-AAGN pen is less prone to dropping parts of long lines, the new pen also seems a little less sensitive than the old A01 pen I had. With the new pen, I have to make a conscious effort to press harder. Otherwise, certain parts of letters, such as the horizontal part on an "r" or the lower part of a "e" (see below sample), will get dropped. I will say that the new 750-AAGN pen does seem to maintain its connection better than my old A01 pen, which sometimes experienced random disconnects when drawing long lines. However, unless you plan to draw lots of long lines, I'm not sure that the writing quality with the new pen is actually better.

Either way, neither the new pen nor the old pen is even close to being in the same league as Wacom, or NTrig. Despite all of its faults, my old Samsung ATIV tablet (Wacom) had a significantly better writing experience, as did a friend's Surface Pro 3 (NTrig) that I tested.

IMO, if you have a good copy of an old A00/A01/A02 pen, it is probably not worth upgrading to the new 750-AAGN pen.

A few writing samples below. This is just normal writing, without any special effort taken to make the writing look nicer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    internalaudit and Mesosphere like this.
  5. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Both look pretty good--pretty much equally so--to me. :)

6. tabletpcrev

tabletpcrev Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys, do you know where I can buy it in UK? I can't find it nowhere.

7. chevypad

chevypad Pen Pal - Newbie

My particular problem was actually resolved by installing the A10 bios. It magically began working again. I am not really sure what the real problem was. but dell support wouldn't give me the exchange till I installed it...

8. Mikerman

The last time I looked, it was available online at the Dell EU site.

9. ssbtech

ssbtech Pen Pal - Newbie

I just finished setting up a Surface Pro 3 for someone and the big difference I noticed with the pen was the smaller tip. I thought that the smaller tip made it easier to see where the pen was hitting the screen and kept out of the way of the ink better.

So having an A02 sitting around unused, I pulled the tip, stuck it in the end of my Dremel and used the Dremel like a lathe. Took some 100 grit sandpaper and tool about 40% of the tip off. Finished it with some 400 grit sandpaper to smoothen it out.

Yanked the tip from my silver barrel pen, installed the now thin tip from my A02 and it worked like a charm.

No difference in writing (the silver barrel pen is already pretty good) but the thinner tip keeps out of the way a bit better.

Original Dell tip on left, Surface Pro 3 on right, and the whittled down Dell tip at the top.

IMG_20150221_133400_edit_edit.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  10. Mikerman

Way cool, there--think you have a new line of business there! ;) I'd like to see a stylus tip accessory pack: a thin tip and a softer tip, especially.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.