New Dell Stylus 11/3/14

Discussion in 'Dell' started by chevypad, Nov 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Great to hear! :)

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

How does it compare to the v4 NTrig (or Surface version)? I wonder how it stacks up to the new Wacom pen? Traditional Wacom?

3. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

My neq dell pen was delivered about a week a go, even hough it's much better than the previous my galaxy note 8 is still light years ahead. My main problem is panning and zooming in one note when I dont intended to, meaning when im writing the digitizer doesn't detect the pen if I lift it too much and then the palm and fingers wreak thwir havoc. It's not as bad as it used to be but it is still there.

On the other hand the writting experience is much better as long as you keep the pen close to the screen. No more ink bleeding or tails... Next week my encore write 2 should be here and I can do a side by side comparison

Vinny

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Mesosphere and Bronsky like this.
  4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Well, I had been lucky as my A00, A01, and A02 pens worked. A01 was actually better than my A00 and my A02 pen. It did leave little tails at the end of my letter formation but since I usually write in the TIP as opposed to making notes directly by pen in OneNote it was working fine for me.

Aoo - this pen would skip and make broken lines in sketches. Pressure response was also very poor.
    A01 - this pen worked like you would expect but pressure was all over the map so in OneNote I had pressure turned off and everything worked fine.
    A02 - enormous pressure was required to make even a thin line.

With all that, I think it is cute that Dell changed the P/N and the design of this pen (silver body) and the paperwork calls it an A00 again. However, my shipper called it an A03. So, I take that as some admission that this *IS* an A03. But that does not really matter.

So, what's it like? Much more of what you would expect of a pen. Not modern N-trig level yet, however. I can sum this up in one easy feeling....I would not hesitate to buy a new N-trig based machine but I would tilt my head and squint my eyes and wait for someone to talk me into another Synaptics machine. At the same time the V8P is fully usable now and I am glad Dell and Synaptics fixed this but I am, at the same time, waiting for the other shoe to drop on longer term contact durability. A00, A01, and A02 all have contact issues. I expect A03 to have them as well.

As for Wacom AES tech I have not had the opportunity to try it out yet. The videos look good and it is great that Wacom has decided to change. Keep in mind the old EMR tech dates from eons ago now; my TC1100 pen still works on my Helix 1. Not much has changed in 13 years. It *was* the gold standard for a long time but, in my opinion, not anymore. The parallax and edge accuracy issues are frustrating. Also frustrating is how the calibration of the screen gets lost on occasion; this does not happen with any of the single layer digitizers.

I recently changed the screen on my HP Elitepad 1000 to a used one purchased on eBay. The machine is back in operation. The screen calibration worked right from firing it back up and I have not recalibrated the Elitepad in months. Same goes for my V8P. My Helix, just like my Fujitsu T731, loses itself or forgets to rotate when the screen rotates. That is uber annoying.

I know that many will not even consider anything other than Wacom EMR because the pen does not use a battery and it always works. Drawing programs are set up to make full use of the technology and pressure curves and that is all great. But, for note taking it is an exercise in too frequent a level of frustration. Maybe the new Wacom AES tech will fix this but it is clear Wacom understands they needed to change, and they are also behind now and have to play catch up.

My assessment at this point for note takers and sketchers is still:
    #1 - Atmel as applied to the Elitepad 1000
    #2 - N-trig v3.5+
    #3 - Wacom EMR
    #4 - Synaptics

How this changes with Wacom AES is up in the air as I have not used it yet. Just my opinion and all....

Bronsky likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Interesting opinion Dave. As always.

Note-taker here as well. For me, writing on the M80TA is as good as it gets. Not only is the writing flawless but I can customize the experience by adding one of the many pens and different tips available. Nothing I've tried, including the Surface 3's N-Trig pen, has come close to the accuracy, speed and feel of an S10 eraser pen with a soft tip on my M80TA.

I haven't tried Synaptic, Atmel or the new Wacom technology but I served my time with N-Trig. There are things about the technology that drive me nuts.

The movable tip clearly degrades over time. I saw your post on that issue and could not agree more. All of my pens suffered from that.

Even with the Surface, there is a slight hesitation in the inking that is palpable. Don't get me wrong, the journey from Slate 500 to Surface 3 is interstellar. But I would rank the Wacom pen on the M80TA over the Surface 3's N-Trig device.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  6. 996gt2

996gt2 Scribbler - Standard Member

7. peejay

peejay Pen Pal - Newbie

I asked about battery life about a month ago, and a couple of people said the battery that came with it lasted only a month or a month and a bit. Now that more people have had the new stylus for longer, is anyone getting better battery life than this? Or is that experience what we can expect?

Cheers!

8. brian1

brian1 Scribbler - Standard Member

On battery life. The pen will sleep if inactive for 60 seconds. Pressing a button (or having it pressed in a case or sleeve) will wake the pen up and will deplete battery life. If this occurs frequently it could definitely impact overall life.

Has anyone done any sort of benchmark to determine the number of hours the battery lasts? Alternatively, the number of weeks it last with ~1 hour per day of use?
    Thanks.

9. jessevl

jessevl Pen Pal - Newbie

I have received yet another stylus (the new silver A00, again) and can confirm that this one finally works as it should. It is definitely no Wacom in terms of accuracy but it is very usable, and I actually prefer the feeling of the stylus itself over any wacom stylus I've ever used. So, be aware even the A00 can be faulty sometimes but should be good to use otherwise.

10. crossface

crossface Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, so after putting in a new battery on January 16th and again moderate usage, my stylus was dead today (Feb 17). I unscrewed the pen and reinserted the battery to see if it would jump start and no. I was a little frustrated with trying a few things and I ended up pulling the tip out of the stylus and reinserting it. Viola! It started working again normally.

I've pulled the tip out maybe eight or ten times since I got the stylus, and I don't think I'd recommend doing so. The tip has some wiggle now that doesn't affect overall performance, but is slightly annoying in usage. It started after the second or third time I pulled it and has not gotten worse with any subsequent removals. I've considered getting yet another new stylus as I do like the performance and I do use it a fair amount. I might do so when it goes on sale again, but I don't know where I'll end up with battery life with regard to what I described above. I don't know if a brand new battery would have worked without pulling the tip, but suspect it would have.

I don't do anything like unscrew the pen when I'm finished with it. In my experience, it does seem to go to sleep properly and I'm willing to replace the battery a little more often to avoid doing this all the time.

The A02 that I had originally when I bought the tablet lasted from July 2014 to December 2nd and was still going. I didn't use it as much as this new one because the A02 stunk in comparison. I'm not sure if I tossed the battery a little too early in January and maybe I'd get comparable battery performance to the A02 if I just tried pulling the tip every time it was nonresponsive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.