New Build Available on the Fast Ring

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jnjroach, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I'm using Spartan in Full Screen Mode when in tablet and all the touch targets are very accurate at least for me and my breakfast sausage fingers. I wish that would bring back the swipe back and forward as well. And the lag between rendering tabs is noticeable. But I like the direction it is heading.

Also, as much as like the MUI environment, Windows 10 for a desktop or hybrid device feels much more unified. I'm still hoping that what they said earlier about 10.2" and below devices will be able to run the Mobile SKU as I would rather run that on my Dell Venue Pro 8.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just noticed that Bluetooth headsets are completely and totally broken in this build for me. Worked perfectly in 10041.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Me: "Who on earth would think that?!" (scrolls up)

"jnjroach"

:D

jnjroach likes this.
  4. jnjroach

It dawned on me as I work with others who are using Windows 8.1 and bouncing between the Start Screen and Office while Projecting.

5. jhoff80

It turns out I am still seeing the DPI problem I mentioned above, where it changes from my setting of 125% to the default of 150% on locking the computer. It just is happening less frequently for some reason. A reboot does always bring it back to my setting though.

As for bouncing between the start screen and Office, I don't know. To me, if Windows 8.1 handled desktop program use the same way that Windows 10 did (like if each desktop app acted like it's own little Metro window with drag to close and such), that UI would be near perfect for tablets.

6. jhoff80

Also, apparently the "feedback submissions" counter in Windows Insider maxes out at 50. I'm kind of curious what that number actually is for me, because I've submitted 50 different things just since Monday (including the maximum of 50 bug :D). I'd say for the whole preview program that I'm (sadly ;)) closer to 3-4 times that.

It's just a shame that it feels like it's all useless to even bother with, as we've seen very little reaction to feedback so far. To me, it feels no different from Windows 8, but who knows. Maybe they're waiting until the very last possible moment for that. :p

efjay and JoeS like this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The moment that I started feeling like that is when Gabe (I think) announced a bunch of tiny changes to Win10 and said "this shows that we're listening". A negative interpretation of that is "we're listening, and meanwhile we're continuing to make some tiny tweaks that we were planning to make anyway". They certainly don't seem to be making any major adjustments.

jhoff80 and gcoupe like this.
  8. jhoff80

I definitely agree there, but until 10041 I was trying to be more optimistic about it. Another two months and now two builds later though, it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt anymore.

9. cool8man

cool8man Pen Pal - Newbie

Mobile OS is only for 7" tablets. Why would you want to give up multitasking? The only reason to want to give up features is because the UI of Windows 10 is terrible for tablets in portrait mode. There should be no reason why you would want the mobile SKU over the full SKU unless there is something significantly lacking in the tablet/touch experience in Windows 10. Also don't count on OEMs to be making Windows Mobile tablets. The OEMs have no interest in limited Windows devices like Windows Phone or Windows RT when they can offer their customers an OS that is not dependent upon software in the Windows app store. Products like the HP Stream 7" and Toshiba Encore Mini 7" will cease to exist once Windows 10's new mobile OS policy comes into place. HP and Toshiba will simply focus on 8" devices that offer much more functionality and freedom over the Mobile OS.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  10. jnjroach

I what I said was about "Choice", Win32 legacy applications suck on small screen devices and wreck havoc on Connected Standby. Looking through NSAT scores, people using Windows Apps on small screen tablets have the highest NSAT Scores, those running Win32 Applications have the lowest. This falls on deaf ears here but it doesn't change the reality. Also, Mobile OS Tablets running 10.2 or smaller get Office for free...there is a reason the new Surface 3 is 10.8" :)