New Build - 9860 Released Today

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jnjroach, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

For those in the Windows Insider Program, Microsoft has pushed out a new build (9860) today. So far what I can see is it has added the Notification Center, new Fly-out Animations for Opening and Closing Applications or Explorer Windows, Added more functionality to the PC Settings (Removing the Network Charm Fly Out Functions from the earlier build that worked like Windows 8.x)

It seems to have broken my ScreenBeam Pro Miracast Adapter...more too come

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So, as it turns out, my preferred method of installing beta builds (using a VHD file) just doesn't work with the Windows 10 Technical Preview updater. Looks like I'll have to switch the install method.

3. jhoff80

So I installed the original preview build, and then updated that to 9860.

First of all, I think I made one mistake in not doing the Windows Update driver updates for my Pro 2 before upgrading the build. When I got to 9860, a ton of drivers were missing that I didn't have a problem with previously. Still, I was able to download the driver pack and fix most of that.

A couple things they did for touch that are nice. One, the taskbar auto-hides on the start screen and in fullscreen Metro apps unless you swipe from the bottom. The top minimize,maximize, close buttons do the same as well unless you swipe from the top. And the onscreen keyboard now appears to auto-pop up on all programs / apps, including desktop stuff.

I still greatly prefer the Windows 8 method of window management (aka all fullscreen Metro apps), but it definitely is an improvement from the first build.

4. jnjroach

It appears that this build breaks Wireless Displays, I've tried my ScreenBeam Pro and PTV3000 and both end with a Driver Error. I've submitted feedback.

Also it appears the SP3 isn't hibernating after 4 hours (same as the last build). Last night put into Connected Standby with 81% Battery, this morning 8 hours later 72%, stayed in Connected Standby.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I thought the preview would be updated through Windows Update? My install in Hyper-V doesn't prompt for an update though, should that work?

6. fabriziomc

fabriziomc Pen Pal - Newbie

Same issue here. I have a Belkin Screencast. Driver error when try to connect it. With previous version of W10 Preview it worked.

7. jnjroach

Looks like Miracast is broken....if you can validate my feedback maybe we can get it fixed quick :)

8. fabriziomc

Can you tell me how to retrieve your feedback to validate it? I search "miracast" but I don't see it

9. fabriziomc

cancel my previous post. I found your feedback and I have validated it.

jnjroach likes this.
  10. jhoff80

Go to PC Settings, and then Update and Recovery. You'll see a special "Preview Builds" section. The VHD thing is apparently a known issue though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.