New Asus Transformer Mini T102HA-C4-GR...US$250

Discussion in 'Asus' started by BenGman, May 31, 2017.

1. BenGman

BenGman Pen Pal - Newbie

ASUS Transformer Mini T102HA-C4-GR Signature Edition 2 in 1 PC

[​IMG]

Tech specs
    Display
    10.1 in LED-backlit touchscreen (1280 x 800), 10-finger multi-touch support

Processor
    Intel Atom x5-Z8350 1.44 GHz with Burst Technology up to 1.92 GHz

Memory
    4GB DDR3L 1600 MHz

Hard drive size
    64GB or 128GB eMMC

Operating system
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

PC type
    2 in 1

Optical drive
    None

Media drive
    Micro SD card reader

Audio
    ICEPower Audio Wizard, Realtek Audio Manager

Video
    Intel HD Graphics with shared graphics memory

Ports
    1 USB 3.0 • 1 Micro USB • 1 Micro HDMI • Headphone output/Microphone input combo

Battery
    2-cell polymer (up to 11 hours movie playback)*

Camera
    2MP webcam

Wireless
    802.11ac (Miracast enabled)

Bluetooth
    Bluetooth 4.1

Dimensions
    Tablet: 10.43 x 6.89 x 0.32 in (264.92 x 175.00 x 8.20 mm) • Tablet + keyboard: 10.43 x 6.89 x 0.54 in (264.92 x 175.00 x 13.90 mm)

Weight
    1.80 lbs (0.81 kg)

Color
    Gray

Other
    Model number: T102HA-C4-GR • Instant ID sign-in • TPM 2.0 • Includes keyboard and pen • Precision touchpad • Touchpad dimensions: 93 x 51 mm

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...signature-edition-2-in-1-pc/92rqj6nf7rv5/2K5S

Considering that to get a replacement charging/OTG microUSB port for my 64GB M80TA is EUR80, should I just forgo fixing it and getting this new tablet with KB+PEN for US$250 ??

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Is that 800 grams with keyboard?

3. BenGman

BenGman Pen Pal - Newbie

4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

1.6 pounds w/ keyboard per Amazon listing.

5. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

Sounds pretty nice, especially at that price. Too bad it won't fit in my pockets like the M80TA.

I haven't seen anything about the stylus: what tech does it use, and are there any user reviews out there?

WillAdams likes this.
  6. BenGman

BenGman Pen Pal - Newbie

The pen uses N-Trig like the Surface Pro 3/4. Youtube users show that the Surface Pen works on this Asus model.

I bit the bullet and purchased a manufacturer refurbished one of these on eBay today, a 128GB model (which was at the same price as the 64GB new).

With the Full USB 3.0 port, HDMI out, Keyboard included, 4GB+ RAM, this is what the VivoTab Note should have had.

Reviewers say the performance is not that great, but I remember running a Windows XP virtual machine on the 2GB M80TA and it was adequate... so I would manage my expectations of performance with this one.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Changed the thread title to something more appropriate and less "click-bait."

BenGman - fix your unit. There's nothing quite like it being made presently.

There, the advice you've been spamming for. :)

8. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

It is now permanently $229.
    Maybe someone can update the thread title?

9. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

Have now had this for a couple of weeks:

Great device and form factor.
    It works but it is slower than I thought it would be. I have a Dell venue 8 Pro (same screen resolution but previous gen z3xxx Atom) and the Dell feels faster than this Asus. Really surprised by this since I thought the z8xxx in this should be faster. WTF did intel do? I also want to say the eMMC memory is maybe slower - will have to run a benchmark test.

Otherwise, this is the perfect form factor size wise and the inclusion of a normal USB, USB micro (for charging, though this should be USB C in 2017), micro HDMI and SD card slot should be mandatory on all tablets of this size. I also really like the fingerprint reader and the kickstand.
    I may try the Samsung Galaxy Book 10 - while it is much faster, I am not sure that makes up for all the other stuff it is lacking.

The pen is much better than the $#%@ pen on the Dell Venues.

Aside from speed, I would say that Asus hit it out of the ballpark.

10. the_whiterabbit

the_whiterabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

I also got one of these, and for $250 it's a fantastic machine. It's *almost* a no-compromise tablet, if only it wasn't notably slow. It's not awful, and *most* of the time it's fine, but when it happens it's very noticeable.

I also have an Asus Vivotab Note 8, and this feels like it's perfected everything that was wrong with the Vivotab Note 8, except for the performance. The Vivotab Note 8 has the prior generation Atom (but higher up in the stack, the Z37xx vs this x5-z8350), and even though this machine has double the RAM, it does feel slower sometimes.

I'm not yet convinced that it's not partly the slow eMMC drive, since the processor shouldn't make that big of a difference, especially since the x7-8700 in the Surface 3 feels fine and responsive in comparison to this. But maybe there really is that big of a difference in the middle and top of the Cherry Trail Atom stack, so while the Surface 3 is fine, the Transformer Mini feels slow.

I still have some time to decide if I'm going to return it, but since it comes with a year of accidental damage protection (including drops and spills), I'll probably keep it rather than trying to find a used Surface 3 at a similar price point. If I get too frustrated with it, I can always upgrade later. :)

Other than the performance, there's only a few areas where it's lacking--in no particular order.
    1. The keyboard. The keys feel a little mushy, it's a little cramped which is ok--except the right shift key is TINY and easy to miss if you're a touch typist. It's also not backlit, which I'm ok with given that it's included in the $250 price--but it is a drawback that should be mentioned.
    2. No rear camera--I personally don't care about this, but some people will. I actually never use the camera on the back of my Vivotab Note 8--I'll just use my phone.
    3. The fingerprint reader works surprisingly well (I was expecting it to be terrible), but since it's on the back, it's easy to not line up your finger correctly. It also is a two-action solution since you have to push the power/wake button then use the fingerprint reader. I didn't realize this would bug me until I realized how habituated I am to pressing the fingerprint reader on my phone to wake and unlock it all in one go.
    4. The screen is low resolution--it actually still looks great (and is much brighter than the Vivotab Note 8's screen), and it's nice to not have to use scaling, but in 2017 anything sub full HD should be seen as a negative, even on a 10" screen. I also would prefer a 4:3 or 3:2 aspect ratio, but once I set up an autohotkey script to keep the taskbar on the short side of the screen, it's fine.
    5. Micro USB charging in 2017. I actually don't mind this, since I haven't really started to make the switch over to USB-C (in fact the only USB C device I have is a Nintendo Switch), but USB C would be much faster to charge--not a huge deal to me, especially since it has very good battery life. But again, it is a negative.
    6. There's no way to attach the pen to the tablet. The loop on the keyboard cover is crappy, but at least it's something. I'd prefer some way to clip or magnetically connect it to the tablet for carrying around in case I don't want to carry the keyboard for whatever reason.
    Otherwise, this little machine looks and feels like a premium device. The bezel is a little large, but it could really only be shrunken on two sides or you wouldn't have anywhere to hold it. The pen feels very premium, and is an excellent active stylus. The hover range is shorter than that of the old-school Wacom on the Vivotab Note 8. The IAF is a little bit high, but there are aftermarket pens with lower.

So far, I've mostly only used the pen in OneNote, (and clicking on small things on the desktop--which it's not actually great for, since it has the lower hover distance). It works well for note taking and light sketching--I'm not really an artist, but I doodle.

Oh, and I *love* the kickstand. Very stable, even on my lap and it's full range, not just 3 fixed positions, which is great.

So if you can handle the weird slowness, this is a great tablet. I'd unhesitatingly recommend it to students, especially with the 1 year of accidental damage protection. It is great for note-taking, it has good battery life and it even works well for streaming (even HBONow isn't bad, and that damn site will stutter sometimes on a gaming desktop), and the screen looks great, even if it is relatively low rez.