New Asus Transformer 3 Pro and Transformer 3 Intel 7th Generation CPU

Discussion in 'Asus' started by alextrela182, May 30, 2016.

1. MacrosTheBlack007

MacrosTheBlack007 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll turn it off for a bit and run the test again. I was uninstalling all the bloatware Asus had installed on the machine so that might have caused the temps to rise.

Here are the SunSpider results:

https://webkit.org/perf/sunspider-1...idate-input":[19,17,18,13,24,16,14,16,16,13]}

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Woah... Is that in Edge? Even if that is in Chrome, that score is worryingly high. My old Surface 3 with just an Intel Atom X7-Z8700 got around 350 ms in Edge. You should be getting anywhere from 100 to 200 ms in Edge, and 200 ms is an absolute worst case score in Edge with a Core M. Even the bottom-of-the-line first generation Core M, the Core M-5Y10, on the Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 got around 175 ms. Heck, on my Surface Pro 4 m3 in Chrome which is always a lot slower than Edge and should be slower than your Transformer 3, I am getting 232.7 ms:
    Link

On the bright side, these results probably are just pointing out to you that there is still bloatware left to eradicate. Hopefully, that is. :) Hopefully, thermal throttling was not the reason why Asus decided to not release the Transformer 3 to the rest of the world. Check my original post. I updated it with more information as well. You might want to go and download the drivers for your tablet, get a USB dongle and hub, plug in a USB keyboard, and do a clean install of Windows 10 off of a flash drive. As it is, this may be the telltale signs of a very bloatware-laden OS install from Asus.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  3. MacrosTheBlack007

I re-ran SunSpider and the results look better :) both tests were run in Edge.

https://webkit.org/perf/sunspider-1...string-validate-input":[6,5,9,6,9,8,6,6,5,6]}

4. sonichedgehog360

That is a great improvement. It is still not around where it should be, though. Optimally, it should be under 150 ms. In fact, my Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 with Core M-5Y71 got around 95-120 ms (hit CTRL+F and search for "sunspider"):
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-M-5Y71-SoC.129324.0.html

My Surface Pro 4 m3 with its m3-6Y30, making sure Dropbox is closed, the anti-virus is disabled and everything else is closed, gets around 120 to 140 ms in Edge:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-7Y54-Notebook-Processor.178425.0.html

As your Transformer's processor is technically faster, it should be getting around the same numbers, if not better, than the last-gen m5-6Y54. In fact, your numbers should show a huge improvement, in the neighborhood of 90 to 110 ms in Edge, since your Transformer 3's Kaby Lake i5-7Y54 has a bit higher boost clock (3.2 GHz) than the last-gen m5-6Y54 (2.7 GHz).
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-m5-6Y54-SoC.149451.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-7Y54-Notebook-Processor.178425.0.html

If you end up doing a clean install and the numbers don't improve, I smell thermal throttling issues on this model. If true, that is a real bummer. In fact, that would explain why Asus did not release this model worldwide as promised. That doesn't make this tablet unliveable. By all accounts, I imagine the screen and overall build are simply gorgeous. I could honestly live with these moderate throttling issues in exchange for the elegant design and N-trig pen support. Besides, in perspective, this is still much, much faster than any Intel Atom processor ever will be.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  5. MacrosTheBlack007

I'll have to work on the benchmarks some more tomorrow. I may end up doing a clean install. Asus installed a ton of trash apps. The machine is insanely well built though. The keyboard sleeve blows the Matebook version out of the water. It's not even close.

6. sonichedgehog360

Off-hand, where did you purchase this? I was seriously interested in this tablet from the first day I laid my eyes on it, especially the brilliant extra-wide color gamut, Retina-class display. Quite honestly, it gave me the vibes of a Windows-based iPad Pro contender done right. That is why I am saddened it never quite made it across the pond to the states. Had it did, I would have gotten this over the Surface Pro 4 m3 I currently own. At this point, I need to hold back the urge to get this because likely far better Cannonlake and Raven Ridge tablets will be coming for the fall/winter shopping season. But it is so mesmerizing... I find it far more beautifully designed than the Galaxy Book.
    [​IMG]

7. MacrosTheBlack007

I had it shipped over from Amazon.de. It randomly came with the QWERTY keyboard instead of the QWERTZ it was supposed to have, so I won't complain too much lol. The keyboard layout is still a bit funky though and will take some time to get used to.

8. sonichedgehog360

When I see this, it makes me want to go with my original plan of getting an eGPU box, selling my desktop, and making the eGPU box and this tablet serve as both my desktop and tablet: I would game with the eGPU at home but I would use my tablet on the go. That screen is just so amazingly gorgeous it is growing on me again like the very first time I was smitten with it in May of last year. I seriously hope Asus makes another tablet just like this next generation because this is design done right. I would be the first in line for purchase!

dellaster likes this.
  9. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the same eventual goal, though I have yet to narrow the focus to any particular device. I might even go 2016 MacBook Pro 13" since it reportedly works well with TB3 and eGPU docks.

(Something as simple—and beautifully executed—as Air Drop between my iPhone and iPad makes me lust for having it between those devices and my main machine, and vice versa, which means it would have to be a Mac. Plus many other reasons, naturally. With Windows in Boot Camp for games, etc. But I digress...)

Being able to upgrade the eGPU means the device will go years longer before obsolescence.

10. MacrosTheBlack007