New Asus Transformer 3 Pro and Transformer 3 Intel 7th Generation CPU

Discussion in 'Asus' started by alextrela182, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Yet another promising device that falls short because of stupid issues like fan noise, keyboard pairing issues, bad pen experience, and other minor issues.

The more these little problems pop up, the more impressed I am with the Vaio Z Canvas.

2. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

or for about 1/4 the price you could have bought the aspire switch alpha s which also eliminates most of those issues.

3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

While the list-price of the Canvas is $2,200, the top model can be had new for $1,200, with a 1TB SSD, 16GB of RAM, near full Adobe RGB coverage, and an HQ processor, compared to the Switch Alpha's $700, for 128GB SSD, 8GB RAM, partial sRGB coverage, and a U processor. Both would greatly benefit from a Thundebolt 3 port and external GPU though.

4. whmcc

whmcc Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, so I have now received my new TP3 from Costco, in about 5 days from ordering online with their $200 off manufacturer's rebate until 10/23/2016, and am so far very, very pleased. I am upgrading from a bit of a "dog" laptop so will not write comparisons. However, some questions recently regarding power supply/battery I am currently addressing below.

I purchased the Innergie PowerGear USB-C 45 from Best Buy (here is Amazon link:
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_8?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=innergie+powergear+usb-c+45&sprefix=innergie,aps,327
    and had good success with the charging from house power with it.

I wrote an email to Anker Support Team regarding what in their line could provide either battery or house power for the TP3, and their reply:
    "I am sorry to inform you that we do not have wall power source or battery source which fits your new laptop after checking all our products, my sincere apologies, we will improve this in the near future."

And, yes, the Costco order did include the pen and a wall charger brick that plugs directly into a receptacle, no additional cord from brick to receptacle.

Since I almost always have my laptop plugged in, whether at home or at office, the battery life to me is secondary, though I do look forward to getting a battery source in the future.

For me, the two different USB's was a biggie, since at work, my workday is 11 hours long (must keep plugged in for power via USB-C) and I am addicted to the Logitech keyboard and trackball mouse, which requires a regular USB receptacle. Very few prior 2-in-1's have offered this combo, and so have passed on others over the past year or so that I have been watching the market.

Well, that is my two cents...thanks for having this resource, as I have been following excitedly, and now pulled the trigger!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    kvoram likes this.
  5. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Most of us bought the i5/8gb/256gb for $499 at microcenter.

6. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

what about stylus lag?

7. whmcc

whmcc Pen Pal - Newbie

I am no power user, and have not witnessed any stylus drag yet. I will try tomorrow loading up multiple windows and seeing what happens and report back. He did at one point report on the video about a prolonged lag awaiting input of his passcode number when Windows Hello does not work, and I have seen that happen once. Any issues I have had go away on reboot, and I have seen once the stylus input drop out on awakening from sleep.

ATIVQ likes this.
  8. m3tpe

m3tpe Pen Pal - Newbie

Out of stock on costco... Do you guys think it will be back in stock? Seems like a good deal for a subpar 2in1 laptop with the specs and costco discount. Should I call to order?

9. Raptor5150

Raptor5150 Pen Pal - Newbie

Where does it say that?

10. m3tpe

m3tpe Pen Pal - Newbie

Was OOS this morning. Guess they refreshed their inventory.
    http://www.costco.com/.product.1093112.html

Still debating if I should purchase. I'm guessing most of the problems are software related, minus the bad speakers and strength of the keyboard magnets. Battery probably can be tweaked by software, but not by much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.