New Asus Transformer 3 Pro and Transformer 3 Intel 7th Generation CPU

Discussion in 'Asus' started by alextrela182, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mva5580

mva5580 Pen Pal - Newbie

The only thing that really matters to me with these surface pro-type devices anymore is real world battery life.

I'll pay the extra price to have a full PC in a tablet form factor, I mean whatever. I just wish the battery life could be made to be better than what it is. To me until the battery life increases noticeably on these things, they're laptops that just happen to look like tablets.

2. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

It will probably take a new battery technology for that to happen but I agree, if I can't get at least 14 hours out of it with running what I want, when I want and for as long as I want and bright enough so I'm not straining to see it then I have to bring an adapter and that defeats the whole purpose.

3. Bitech

Bitech Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you both looked at Toshiba's Portege Z20T? A new battery technology isn't really needed; they just need to stop making super-thin devices with super high-res screens and over-powered Core i7 processors that drain a lot from their small, thin batteries.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  4. Don1

It is great but requires the kb/dock to get those numbers..still if it gets half those numbers without the dock it's very impressive.

5. mSSM

mSSM Pen Pal - Newbie

Not sure, if the website is Chinese or Taiwanese, but one user was already able to get the Transformer 3 Pro what looks like the i5 model (he is writing further down that the i7 model is going to be released in late October; at least that's what Google Translate is spitting out).

He seems to be generally quite happy about the device. The translation reads kind of funky, but lots of pictures in there:
    http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=233&t=4921892

6. Dancast

Dancast Pen Pal - Newbie

7. jessez

jessez Pen Pal - Newbie

It's Taiwanese. You're correct - he bought an i5 8GB 512GB. i7 is slated to release on Oct 20th, according to the poster.

According to that post, he is very satisfied with the build quality. He also raised four minor complaints that you guys might be interested in hearing:

1. The pen is not magnetic. You cannot attach it to the side like SP4.
    2. The fan noise was quite loud, and charging port was hot to touch, when he was running the initial setup (CPU intensive).
    3. Universal Dock is not yet available.
    4. Closing the keyboard lid can turn off the screen. But the reverse is not true. If you open the keyboard lid, the screen does not turn on automatically - you'd have to click the power button.

8. Don1

9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Judging from latest news and info and feedback(lacking NVME SSD at least for 128/256 configuration,not so good kickstand as surface,no magnetic position of pen,to loud fan,high temperature development)all of these make me thinking of waiting the SP5 wherever being released next month or spring 2017.

As for the Kaby Lake transforms 3 the only one USB port bothers me a lot,also not having NVME SSD at all is also downside,I believe the kickstand would be the same as the Pro meaning deal breaker too.

Also why Asus choose DDR3 ram and not DDR4 on Kaby Lake.

This is ridiculous.

I don't know how battery life would be but if I'm not getting 2 hours more battery life than SP4 i5 it's not worth of upgrading at all.

Unfortunately OEM seems to failed all time to deliver the proper device alternative to surface.

If OEM want to win as much the user base of 2 in 1 segment they must offer much much better proposal than surface and not worst in any situations.

We are end of 2016 and minimum requirement of proper 2 in 1 device is.

1) 8/256 entry level configuration.
    2 NVMe SSD technology in all configurations.
    3.Minimum 2 USB 3.1 thunderbolt ports.
    4.DDR4 ram
    5.Kickstand/keyboard quality minimum as MS offer with surface.
    6.Decent battery life minimum 6 hours real life use.

Without having even one advantage over surface why on earth I would choose OEM over MS and surface.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    zan5hin likes this.
  10. Don1

How does the KB attach? If that is magnetic and the pen is metal it should attach pretty firmly to the bottom like the Acer Aspire swich alpha does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.