New ArtDock for Surface Pro

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DoctorBunsenHoneydew, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seven

seven Pen Pal - Newbie

hi, posted my modification of DoctorBunsenHoneydew's artdock here:
    silent sanctuarium

[​IMG]

to use, just touch the PS icon, X to close. you can move it by dragging on the ps icon as well. it will disappear if you place the mouse or stylus near, and will reappear when you touch a spot again on the screen. took me quite a few tries to get used to it, just have to remember *not* to bring the stylus up close to the screen as you are ‘pressing a key’ on the artdock. you can both use an artdock key + stylus if you press and hold the key first (like holding the space key for the hand tool with the stylus). you can do even do multiple taps just like in photoshop (like ctrl+shift+i for selection inverse)

removed the tguard exe since i was having problems with it. made the keys the same size to save up on space. and while not every shortcut for PS is here, these are the ones i most use for digital art and photo retouching / manipulations. usually the ones i didn’t include are the ones i do via the GUI menu.

direct mediafire link: artdock
    unzip and place the folder anywhere, run the artdock.ahk.

just thought that it maybe of some use to other surface pro users as well.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey seven, that is awesome! Thanks!

Just one thing..I have issues with the small surface pro screen, and now with the dock this huge I think I'll have more problems managing the space.

Isnt there a quick and easy way to edit the artdock to add/remove the shortcuts I dont constantly use?

Cheers!

3. seven

seven Pen Pal - Newbie

hi dream,

you can open up the photoshopdock.txt inside the artdock/text folder.
    from there, you'll see the 6 rows of keys, labelled 0 to 5. just delete or
    place a ";" character in front of the key segments of the code you wish deactivated.
    changing up key assignments means just changing the values there as well. will need
    to create new button pictures though for those not included already.

selected the button sizes and made them uniformly square since they were
    the minimum size i felt i could accurately hit keys with some degree of speed.
    especially when doing multiple tap shortcuts like ctrl-shift-i. and since i'm just ingrained
    with those types of keyboard shortcuts, chose to have separate keys instead of having
    let's say a "select inverse shortcut" rather than having a distinct 'ctrl', 'shift' and 'i' ; since they
    also have shortcut purposes on their own. same with undo/redo.

picked a squarish portion at the bottom left of the screen since normally its the most unused spot
    on program GUIs. avoided a longer vertical one since it will interfere with photoshops' vertical toolbar.

for the view, just relied on it being semi-transparent and the ability to hide it by just moving over my stylus
    over that area. coupled with the usual F and Tab shortcuts, its not too bad once i got used to it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  4. rtschutter

rtschutter Pen Pal - Newbie

So I am struggling to make this work. I see the little toolbar but it appears in the top left, and whenever my stylus goes anywhere near it to select something it just hides itself.

*Edit* Okay I figured out why it was doing that (you need to use your finger). But now I am running into another problem, it's located in an absolutely stupid location on my screen. It's in the top left corner and I need it to be in the bottom right because I am left handed. Is there an easy way to move it?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  5. seven

seven Pen Pal - Newbie

you can move it by touch-dragging on the ps icon.

it will disappear if you place the mouse or stylus near, and will reappear when you touch a spot
    again on the screen. you can use this to your advantage if you want to have an unobstructed view underneath.

*took me quite a few tries to get used to it, just have to remember *not* to bring the stylus
    up close to the screen as you are ‘pressing a key’ on the artdock.

* you can both use an artdock key + stylus if you press
    and hold the key first (like holding the space key for the hand tool with the stylus).

*you can do even do multiple taps just like in photoshop (like ctrl+shift+i for selection inverse)

6. rtschutter

rtschutter Pen Pal - Newbie

Alright cool thank you. I figured out how to change it's position as well, you have to modify the "MenuDock.txt" file the #Window:pos=TopLeft to say BottomRight/TopRight if you are a lefty.

*edit* Okay nevermind that only changes the position of the menu. Any ideas on changing the position of the thing itself?

*edit2* Nevermind again, to change the position of the controls themselves you need to edit the PhotoshopDock.txt and SBPDock.txt files the same way as the MenuDock.txt file.

7. seven

seven Pen Pal - Newbie

or you can just touch-drag the PS icon when its already expanded to place it wherever you like.

8. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Could a altruistic genious port this version (ArtDock by Konartist3D on deviantART) of artdock for use with the surface pro?

From my testings, all that it needs is to be reworked into SP's resolution. Besides that, all the functions are working good.

9. sweeptheleg

sweeptheleg Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tried this with the surface pro 2?

10. dalemoore

dalemoore Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I am using it as of tonight on my new Surface Pro 2 and it works fantastic! Created an account on this site just to say thanks for this great tool. :D This + ArtRage, SketchBook Pro, or Manga Studio = a dream. Trying to use Photoshop and Painter on the Surface gives me a headache but those 3 are much better optimized for the smaller touch interface.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.