1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

New ArtDock for Surface Pro

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DoctorBunsenHoneydew, Feb 17, 2013.

1. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

---------------------------------------------------

NEW VERSION 2 (9/3/13)

- fixed dpi scaling bug.
    - reduced the UI by a ton.
    - Added swanky new Tguard toggle!
    - Made batch file and shortcut that handles ArtDock and Tguard with a single button.
    - Moved default ArtDock location to top, in order to avoid interference with touch keyboards.

---------------------------------------------------

Here's a version of ArtDock I made specifically for the surface pro. I wanted it to be minimal, usable, and look like it belongs in the W8 UI.

artdock.jpg

Credit goes to Konartist3D for the awesome original script. He made all of the icons and original scripts for the series 7 slate and ep121. All I did was hack it a little to make it work for w8 and my personal workflow. ;)

And even more credit goes to this guy, who developed the underlying code to make this possible. RawInputControlTest.ahk

Install Instructions:

1) Install the newest version of AutoHotKeyhere

2) Unzip the file here to the root of your c drive. So it should look like "C:/artdock"

3) Drag the "ArtDock" shortcut onto your windows toolbar.

Some Notes:
    1) Clicking the toolbar multiple times will toggle touch off and on. Super handy!
    4) Photoshop logo is for PS (duh). The Skechbook logo will work for all other programs.
    5) Original Script by Konartist3D is here.

Hope you all find this useful!
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  2. zbrush

zbrush Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for sharing the script.
    I am running the original script an it seems to have some touch problems. When I rest the palm on the screen and paint then the buttons are not working. If I don't touch the screen with the palm then everything works fine.. any idea why ?
  3. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

I noticed that problem as well. It happens on the series 7 slate too in windows 7, so it's not unique to the surface pro or windows 8. Only happens with big wide inputs like your palm. Doesn't happen with finger inputs.

Wish i knew why that happens. Might I suggest some fashionable fingerless gloves perhaps? :D
  4. zbrush

zbrush Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll give it a try :D
  5. bathala

bathala Pen Pal - Newbie

wait, surface pro has palm rejection . i can draw with my palm on the screen but now with this program i have to wear a glove.
    Ha no thanks
  6. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

You should actually use the program, re-read what we are talking about, and then edit your comment. No rush, we'll wait for you.

To zbrush: I suggest trying one of those SmudgeGuard gloves. Apart from being generally nice for drawing, mine does a pretty good job of preventing that palm-touch error we're talking about. Not a real solution of course, but it works for me.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  7. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey DoctorBunsenHoneydew,

Thank you for your work on this terrific script. While I don't have a Surface Pro (I don't need the extra power and prefer the larger 16:10 display of the comparatively-dinosaur-ish EP121), it's really good to see that this truly game-changer of a script can be adapted to a state-of-the-art system. There may be a future after all for this script (this one created by Konartist3D but also the simpler one on which it's based) beyond the EP121 and S7!

I'm sure that soon enough SP users will realize just how absolutely awesome this script is (and the others like it) and how powerful it is for art programs. If it works as well on the SP as it does on the EP121 and the S7, this thread will probably become quite popular! I mean: being able to use with your fingers any number of customizable shortcut buttons while Touch is actually turned off, that's about as good as it can get short of having physical buttons to press.

Keep up the good work!
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  8. darthjosh

darthjosh Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey I downloaded this and its really great except one problem, I am left handed. I tried looking into the file to see if I could change it myself but I am not a programmer by any means. How can I move this to the right side of the screen?
  9. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

I suppose I could make a lefty version as well. If I have time this weekend I'll whip one up.

Also noticed that the slider undo/redo buttons sometimes do phantom clicks. I replaced it with separate undo/redo buttons that work more predictably.

Hopefully I can get both revisions in by this weekend.
  10. zbrush

zbrush Pen Pal - Newbie

You can move it anywhere on the screen you want. Just drag the area with 3 horizontal bars. ( i am using the original script but i guess it has the same structure)
    Edit : looking at the pictures on the top i see that it's different and is missing the area with 3 strips.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  11. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

For the version I made, I docked it permanently to the left side, and removed the drag bars to make it as simple and consistent as possible.

Yeah you might want to try the original ArtDock in the meantime, while I get a lefty version going.
  12. darthjosh

darthjosh Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, I will try that one for now. Is there a large difference between yours and the other one?
  13. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

Mine is super minimal, whereas the original has a ton of buttons.
  14. muchlove106

muchlove106 Pen Pal - Newbie

I would like to 1st say thank you thank you for changing the org script into this one it is 95% perfect for my use. I am a zbrush user and it would be super great if you can tell me or post a file where I can place the dock anywhere on my screen Please it would make my day.

I am using the New Samsung Ativ smart pc pro and it is an 11.6 display so I need to have my thumbs a little higher. The attached file is used my new tablet and your setup to model I thought I would share. But from artist to another if you can sett it up to be placed anywhere I could move a lot better when modeling. If you could help it would be great. Thank you again.

Alien kid.jpg
  15. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

Glad you find it useful :)

This coming week, I'll add a small handle that will allow you to move the window around. It will always default to the corner position, but you can move it anywhere after that. Would that work?
  16. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

ok, updated the script.

on the newest version, you can drag the window wherever you want by dragging the ps/sai/sbp/zb button.
  17. muchlove106

muchlove106 Pen Pal - Newbie

You are a LIFE SAVER!!!! THANK YOU!!! UI is clean and simple. With your permission I would to create a posting in Zbrushcentral.com/ so that many other zbrush users can us your interface it's just so clean and inputs are large fantastic.
  18. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

Welcome :)

Just link back to this post, so that the original creators get credit and any feedback stays on this forum.
  19. skwayb

skwayb Pen Pal - Newbie

Strangest thing, after I installed AutoHotKey and the script, everything was working great. I shutdown the Surface Pro and went home. When I booted it back up, my touchscreen would stop working after I logged in every time. I had to Reinstall the OS to get it working again. Tried it out one more time and same thing happened. So not sure why since it is working for others. So no Artdock for me at this time. :-(
  20. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

On windows 7, you can dynamically turn touch off and on, but on windows 8, they changed it so you have to restart for the change to take effect.

So if you "lost" touch, all you need to do is open art dock, press the enable touch button, and then restart.

Sorry you though you had to reinstall, because that's totally unnecessary.