New Architecture Student, Need Help

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by fldrice, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marsman12019

marsman12019 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I need some help.

I'm going to be entering college next year as an architecture student, and am having trouble figuring out which computer (or combination of computers) I need. While I'm not sure which software I will be using (one can assume some sort of CAD program), I will be using my computer for extremely detailed renderings, a lot of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and maybe even some work in movies, websites, flash, and of course games. My school wants a PC (not Mac), and I'm trying to keep under $3000 total.

I need to be able to use said computer(s) in my dorm room, my studio, and during any classes where I would need to take notes.

Previously, I had narrowed my choices down to am HP HDX18t, with a Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad Processor Q9100 (2.26 GHz), a 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M, and 6GB of DDR3 RAM. Since the HDX is so large (18.4" screen), I was also planning on buying a HP Mini 2140, as cheap as possible. Theoretically, I would use the HDX and my Intuos3 6x11 for all of my intensive work (as well as some games and HDTV on it's 1080p screen), and the 2140 for taking notes in class.

However, after looking around, I found some more options.

Instead, I could get a Tablet PC. It would be perfect for my field (i.e. drawing, Photoshop, Illustrator), and great for taking notes in class, but I doubt working on CAD models would be easy. Also, As far as I can tell, there is no possible way to have a Tablet with anywhere near the same specs as the HDX, although with this option I may also end up getting a desktop with good specs.

Another option is to get a Wacom Cintiq 12WX, leave the HDX in my bag, and take notes on the Cintiq during class, not to mention using it for all of my graphics and photo work.

So, in conclusion:

HP HDX18t & HP Mini 2140
    or
    Tablet & Desktop
    or
    HP HDX18t & Wacom Cintiq 12WX

I'm also very open to any suggestions and other ideas. Does anybody have an idea of what i should do?

2. fldrice

fldrice Pen Pal - Newbie

I suggest getting a tablet and a desktop. You can definitely get a CAD capable desktop for $1k (Softmod geforce/radeon->quadro/firegl) which leaves you about $2k to spend on a nice tablet. I'm not a fan of the HDX18t anyways, If you're going for the desktop replacement workstation you will probably be better off with the 8730w or Lenovo W700 or Dell Precision M6400.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.