New 8" HP w/ optional pen?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by jhoff80, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

There are a few users here who have give Amtel positive reviews, and in fact think it's closer to N-trig's performance than synatic.

dceggert likes this.
  2. yéyé

yéyé Pen Pal - Newbie

2 related questions please:
    -What about autonomy ?
    -Can you use the tablet while charging ? (It state NOT in this comment from the former link)

F2F Techa day ago

I have it's business brother in hand, the Pro 608 G1. So far, it's a pretty nice tablet, but in " HP Fashion" BLB on the display is pretty bad, and the tablet get's too hot when charging. Come to think of it, I can't use the tablet while it's charging or it will lock up. I have more testing to do, but it just doesn't seem as polished as it should be.

3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

When I see isolated comments like this I chalk it up to a defective unit. It happens; I recently had to return my AVN8 because of a battery defect. If the 608 commonly had really bad backlight bleed, overheating, or it locked up when plugged in to charge, there would be other comments to that effect on this forum since there are 608 owners here. Those aren't things you forget to mention when discussing your new tablet, I think.

4. Avenger

Avenger Scribbler - Standard Member

If anyone needs the active stylus for the 608, I have one with the packaging and documentation. I returned the tablet so I don't need it anymore. $40 including shipping in the USA. Please PM me.

5. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

I might be interested. Why did you end up returning the tablet if I may ask?

6. Avenger

Avenger Scribbler - Standard Member

I didn't like the screen resolution being so high for legacy apps. Also as stated in the pen's documentation, the pen turns off after a certain period of the time and you have to tap the screen with the pen or push the button to turn it on again. That's why I like tablets with Wacom pens since they don't have a battery so there is no trying to conserve battery power.

7. yéyé

yéyé Pen Pal - Newbie

Now I know what BLB is (not to worry about also). Thanks.

For the "heat issue" while charging, it's a common issue. On the thinkpad 10 for example: when charging, the same area as for the µP's back is getting hotter. On all the tablet I know they put on the same place the µP cooling, the charging heat source and the WIFI antenna. Typically, charging or streaming video double the heat where it's already hot on the back. It's not very bad but still uncomfortable for me. I had big hope with the 14nm µP for that and the autonomy but turn out the graphic power increase take off any gain on this concern.

For "impossible to use while charging" (and empty), well, this is what happen with ours AVTN8. I agree that the sentence was dubious.

Too bad the Q548 has a poor autonomy (I read also about purplisch screen on the notebookcheck's comment) cause apparently you didn't encounter any heat issue.

Windows 10 is supposed to solve the resolution problem and for reading document I need more than HD'AVTN8. No choice for the pen option is a bad thing for sure.

Are you able to disclose the tablet autonomy and if you can turn it on while charging if empty ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.