New 8" HP w/ optional pen?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by jhoff80, Dec 31, 2014.

1. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Ditto. So I decided to stave off my 8" tablet lust with an Asus Vivotab Note 8, just to see if an 8" will work for me (a cheap test). Maybe I'll revisit HP next year for the G2 of this device, assuming they continue with the line and Microsoft doesn't do a Surface mini w/stylus in the meantime...

Ted

2. Avenger

Avenger Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the Asus tablet. It is a nice piece of tech. But I was thinking of replacing it with this due to the better processor (cherry trail vs bay trail) and I like the screen ratio on this tablet better. But without the pen being available, it is a no-go. I doubt there will be a Surface-Mini. The Surface 3 is kind of their mini version but that is still 10".

3. dellaster

Less likely things have happened than a Surface Mini. Those "in the know" claimed RT was forever and there would never be an Atom Surface. We'll see how things go. ;)

4. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the Asus VTN8, very nice especially for the price. The last Win10 update broke the Broadcom driver so I don't have wifi for now. The 8" is a perfect size for me as I can pocket it (back pocket or jacket). As for the HP 608, I haven't seen any reviews on it yet and no comments about the pen. The price is high for the LTE version at $800 for the tablet, case and pen not sure if I can justify that much money. The S3 is only $600 and uses the same pen I have now and I'd rethink walking around job sites, or NYC for that matter, with an $800 tablet in my pocket.

May just wait it out until October to see if MS comes out with a Surface Mini or checkout Android.

5. dellaster

There are some good comments about the pen in the other 608 topic (the one that started out about Windows 10 issues).

Not only is the 608 the same dimensions, weight, and screen resolution as Apple's iPad Mini 3, HP is matching the price as well. $599 for a wifi-only unit with 128GB, though I think the iPad only has 2GB RAM vs the 608's 4GB. $729 with LTE for the mini.

For me, the value of a fully functional OS in an 8" device makes HP's Pro Tablet 608 by far the better value. But then, iOS devices are never about value. And the Windows device won't confer the kind of positive social feedback of an iPad, which is means a lot to some folks (though not on these forums, which is refreshing).

I'm not thrilled about paying upwards of $800 for 128GB wifi-only, pen, smart case, docking pin charger (to avoid OTG cabling), tax and shipping. But a hypothetical Surface Mini would set me back about that much for the same options & accessories, I'm sure, so frugality can't enter the picture on this purchase even if I wait and hope for the unicorn to appear.

Only time and use will determine whether or not this device is worth the price for me.

6. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

So I placed an order for the LTE version of the 608. It isn't shipping until the end of the month so I can check out the S3 with LTE and cancel before it ships. As you said, it is the portability and the S3 really larger than I'd like.

Honestly, is there a web site that is more customer unfriendly than HPs? I had to use the links in this thread to find what I needed and still couldn't order the pen.

7. dellaster

It's horrible!

Try http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/AdvancedSearch.asp?oi=E9CED&BEID=19701&SBLID=

Enter N9D47UT in the search and click on the accessories link. That should take you to a page where you can add the pen to your cart.

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

It is kind of strange that you need specific instructions like that from an independent forum in order to find what you need. How many potential customers think of doing that? Maybe HP should just add a link to TPCR on every page stating: "Go here in order to find what you need here".

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

10. AnnAAyms

AnnAAyms Pen Pal - Newbie