new 2760P in the pipeline

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by shi, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shi

shi Pen Pal - Newbie

From engadget :
    HP EliteBook 2560p and 2760p specs leak out, show Core i7, USB 3.0 and DisplayPort additions -- Engadget

HP EliteBook 2560p and 2760p specs leak out, show Core i7, USB 3.0 and DisplayPort additions
    By Vlad Savov posted Mar 31st 2011 6:01AM

Let's get the hard facts out of the way first: HP has a pair of as-yet-unannounced laptops in the pipeline, to be dubbed the EliteBook 2560p and 2760p. That info comes straight from a PDF document hosted on HP's servers, and barring a spectacular change in the company's model numbering scheme, the new machines will be replacing the 12.1-inch 2540p and 2740p introduced around this time last year. In less concrete but still likely accurate news, the specs for these machines are expected to include low- and standard-voltage Intel Core i7 processors (of the 2011 variety), USB 3.0 and DisplayPort connectivity, and options for 1440 x 900 resolution on matte displays. The difference between the two EliteBooks is that the 27xx series has typically been a convertible tablet PC while its lesser-numbered sibling is usually a straight ultraportable. Can't be long to go until these ThinkPad X220 competitors get official.

[Thanks, D]
    Notebook Review forum, Notebook Italia
    HP Fansite, HP (PDF)

-
    Pipeline! the E and G aren't even close to each other on the keyboard.

2. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

I think we shall all be watching this closely. I can't wait to see exactly what HP does with to improve on the 2740p (other than quality control)

3. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

In one of the reports on the interwebs, it said that these machines offer the choice between 1366x768 AND 1440x900. I find this bit dubious because these are two different aspect ratios (i.e., 16:9 and 16:10) leading to slightly different bezels. So the display choices are either 1366x768/1600x900 OR 1280x800/1440x900.

Eitherway, I'm doubtful that we'll get anything else other than the old 1280x800 or 1366x768 (which is where most LCD manufacturers are making nowadays). But I hope I'm wrong and SOMEONE is willing to put higher-res LCDs on their tablets.

4. storebror

storebror Scribbler - Standard Member

Too bad hp´s elitebooks tend to cost a half fortune over here :(

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

1440x900!!!! OMG YES!!!!! This is my next machine!!!!! MORE EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. AmbiDextrose

Let's hope it'll be available for BOTH systems and not just the standard laptop (i.e., 2560p).

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Since the 2540p is also 1280x800 only, like the 2740p, I think the chance is fairly high. There are some issues, like the Wacom digitizer needing to be certain distance from the LCD, so the lighting assembly has to be thin enough to accommodate that ideal distance. That IMO, should be the only real hurdle.

8. AmbiDextrose

The distance thing should be a non-issue since most LED backlight assemblies are just as thin as the LCD glass substrate. I hope the use a similar surface bonding process as the ASUS EP121 so as to have a better viewing experience.

In any case, there's still doubt in my mind because 12.1in LCD panels with 1440x900 resolution are fairly rare (actually, I haven't encountered one out in the field). And since most LCD manufacturers are moving to 16:9, it might (if it exists) drive the price up more than we expect (or can afford).

Hopefully, this will not be the case and (after a long wait) we'll be looking at the first TabletPC that broke through the current 1280x800 convention.

And much like you, Shog, if things pan out, this will be my next TabletPC.

9. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

Hopefully the 1440x900 is not a crappy TN panel and HP doesn't do something stupid like change to Ntrig

10. Manyak

Manyak Scribbler - Standard Member

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS 1440x900!!!!

If that's true, I'll be ordering it on release day! :)

Then again, Lenovo said they were thinking about also offering 1600x900 on their x220t, so maybe I'll wait and see what happens with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.