New 2710p Owner - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by mandroid, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mandroid

mandroid Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,

I am currently trialing a hp 2710p. I'm typing on it right now actually :) I've got a week to decide whether I like it or not, if I can't get it doing what I want I'll be sending her for a refund.

I like this tablet very much and I did get a good deal, but I need some advice after Google'ing and searching these forums for the better part of an hour. I will preface these points by saying it is currently running Windows XP (Tablet Edition).

-I went through the wizard that popped up on start-up which taught me how to single click, double click, right click etc. What it didn't tell me was how to erase text. The HP pen provided has an eraser on the end, and also a button where my thumb lies. I've had no success using either of these to erase, in any of the programs currently installed (wordpad, built-in on screen keyboard, etc). So much as I've surmised, the thumb button occasionally acts as right click, and the eraser is the exact same input as the pen nib. How the heck do I erase what I've scribbled?

-2710p shipped with Vista and I've seen people had success with Win7. Will this XP install do everything I need to do? I just need it to take notes at Uni, so whether that be adding handwritten notes to PDF/powerpoint/word docs, mostly pdf I imagine. Should I be changing the OS or will XP suffice?

-When in "slate" mode the screen is stuck in portrait mode. There is a switch that looks like it is meant to change landscape <-> portrait. This does nothing. Is this due to XP, or should I be thinking the physical switch is broken?

-I guess this last one I could look up, but thought I would add - suggest me some "must have" tools as a first time tablet owner! Something to write on PDFs, cool little games that use tablet input, etc.

Thanks guys!

2. E1000

E1000 Scribbler - Standard Member

windows 7 is much better suited overall to tablets with better handwriting recognition etc but XP tablet still works fine for what you want to do.

3. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

As a side note, the Eraser portion on the 2710/30p doesn't work on the TIP (Tablet Input Panel) for XP Tablet Edition.

A real bummer for me that I actually am considering to put Vista back on. 7's alright, but its battery life is about the same as XP TE, or even a bit lower whereas Vista gave me the longest life.

As I've noted in this post: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hew...ndering-about-turning-2730p-into-2735p-2.html

Windows 7 is great, but I need battery life and TIP ease balanced.

4. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

Huh?, uh, hmmm. I never thought about erasing on the TIP.

The TIP sort of has it's own rules anyway.

I just tried erasing in both XP and WIN7, (VirtualBox is a wonderful thing). Under XP you have to use the left-right-left-right scratch out gesture. The stylus eraser doesn't work. Under Win7 the eraser works both for whole words and for individual letters once you select a word and expand it. The eraser should work as you expect it to within one of the inking programs.

Rotation: you're on your own with that one. Some of the newer tablets I've come across arrived handicapped with only two orientations and needed a quick registry hack to make the other orientations available.

Right-click side button: indispensible

Converting ink to text is the great yes-or-no quandry. While you're in trial mode you really need to be looking at Windows Journal and Windows OneNote. If you can ink your notes and then leave them as ink, then so much the better. Then you don't have to deal with the TIP at all. Journal and OneNote are both capable of searching your notes in ink format. OneNote also has all the other Microsoft bells and whistles you can imagine. I use Journal every day at work in place of the yellow pad I used to carry. I fiddled with OneNote a bit but it's just way overkill for my needs.

Games: World of Goo and Crayon Physics

If you're new to tablets, also look in to a full featured gesture application, (Stroke-it). Gestures are highly highly under-rated.

5. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

Open journal and try erasing and double clicks. Journal comes free with the OS and is designed for pen use only. Also give OneNote a try and that program will be indispensable for note taking in class.

I have not used XP Tablet in some time, but if the pen eraser and side button don't operate properly then check in control panel under pen and tablet or some similar name. You can also go to Wacom and install the drivers for a TPC to give you more options for the pen.

If the rotation button is not working, the drivers may not be installed. Go to HP and they have all the drivers available. Also, on the 2700 series TPC's all 4 rotations will not be available on battery with WiFi enabled. This is to keep the antenna pointed away from the user.

There is also an app with the OS that allows you to change the rotation with software - It is in windows mobility center.

6. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

I agree with the drivers not being installed. Download the HP Quick Launch Buttons software and it should fix most of your problems.

7. mandroid

mandroid Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks so much for the help so far guys!

All right, so obviously everything I was trying so far for "erasing" didn't acually support it! Got Journal opened and installed Office suite w/ OneNote and that program is an absolute dream. A friend advised me to Print PDF/PowerPoint files into OneNote and edit them there - very impressed!

My issue with the right click button was simply a big of gunk stuck into it! So sometimes it was pressing, sometimes it wasn't.

Also, my rotation problem was simply drivers, duh. I thought I had installed everything when I did Wacom drivers the first time, I didn't even think to grab HP package, the rotation button worked perfect. Thanks for that. I figured out, incidentally, about the only-rotates-when-on-AC-power function. Sure had me scratching my head why it would only work sometimes and not others!

Now after all your wonderful advice I am set up using the Tablet the way I've always wanted to. Aaaand now I figured out it can't charge past 56% battery. Yup. Set her up to charge, come back the next morning, 56% battery. Use it for a bit, set it up to charge again, the charge indicator light goes off, turn on, 56% battery. So the toy I've come to love has a major flaw. Here's hoping the seller can remedy this with a new battery or at least a discount so I can try a new battery!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.