New (11/232010) TM2 DOA...

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Ultimoose, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultimoose

Ultimoose Scribbler - Standard Member

Just picked up another Tm2 for my wife for Christmas. Fired it up to start the cleanup/setup process and it went to a blank (not black, blank) screen shortly after the Starting Windows screen. Let it sit for awhile, about 20 minutes actually as I was working on something else then realized it hadn't gone any further.

Odd. Reboot it the hard way and try again. Same result. Swap the drives with one of my other Tm2's, same deal.

Okay, go into system restore and do the 'full restore'. Same problem.

WTH I'm thinking at this point.

So do a minimal restore. My first minimal restore and OMG does it take forever, it's been an hour and it's still at the "Software is being installed" progress bars only about 3/4 of the way across the total progress actually.

But at least it's getting a little further as at one point the HP screen/app flickered and the "starting windows" and then "setting up your system for the first time" pages showed up and then back to the installing software screen.

Anyway, this is my third TM2, although the first after the last hardware refresh (1.3ghz cpu) and curious if anyone's seen something like this with the latest batch?

2. Zergling

Zergling Blarrrrrg

does your caps lock light flash when you turn it on?

edit: i mean after its been turned on for a bit

3. Ultimoose

The minimal restore ends up with the same issue. :( Even though during the minimal restore at the end I was on a windows desktop, sounds were playing etc and then it was "to complete the setup your computer must be restarted" and then after that same thing, "Starting windows" and then blank screen.

No caps lock flashing.

It appears to be an issue specifically with the software on the drive at some point. The other drive boots without a problem in the new machine.

And the drive tests fine in diagnostics, the system restore both full and minimal work correctly and with the minimal I got to the windows desktop.

Very very odd.

I guess it's time to get on the phone and go through HP's song and dance. This is why I ordered it so early, just in case there were problems. :(

4. Ultimoose

I might just try to use my system restore dvd's from one of the other machines when I get it back home I suppose and see what happens, that should rule out or point to drive(r) issues.

5. triggrhaapi

triggrhaapi Scribbler - Standard Member

I've seen this a few times, not since the latest minimum restore, but certainly before. What does this indicate?

6. Zergling

Zergling Blarrrrrg

when i first got my laptop it would turn on but the screen remained blank. didnt even get to the bios. after 45 minutes talking to hp support it turns out all i had to do was switch the ram slots, apparently they didnt set right or something. so basically if your laptop doesnt start up and the caps lock light blinks (there's actually a specific pattern, 3 blinks then a longer pause), it means at least one of your RAM chips isnt working properly

7. AEDan1977

AEDan1977 HP Tablet User

I would exchange it if it is brand new, why deal with the issues

8. Ultimoose

Yeah I have to regardless. Send it back. The fingerprint reader doesn't work and the power jack has a short in it. You have to press slightly against it toward the back of the chasis to get it to power up. Like 1/16 of an inch. If you don't push back a little bit it doesn't get power. I guess I was due, I've had two that work just fine without any issues.

9. triggrhaapi

triggrhaapi Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine is working fine for the moment, and I have no intentions of getting rid of it, so if I have any more issues at all, I'll send it back to HP, I just don't want to be without it for a month if that's not necessary.

10. Ultimoose

Why it's not a month, I've got written confirmation this should only take 7-9 days... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.