need to vent about a dope / rippoff scam.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Kyle Porter, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

on craigslist, i heard a saddening story. I responded to a add asking why this guy wanted someone to pay $1500 for his tx1000, when there have been three models made after it. (tx2000, tx2500, t2z). His reponse was that "your are misinformed. Stop making up figures and go away."

After a series of emails with me proving that i am not a idiot, he sends back this email.

"if you are going to post fake S**t on websites to get me to lower my price, you are seriously daft. Also, i just sold it to a lady for $1700."

This ass refused to realize that his model was worth way below what he wanted, let alone he ripped off a STUDENT. I know it was a student because worst of all, it was my FRIEND.

Severely pissed, i told her to go get her money back. She calls him up again, only to figure out he was using a strangers phone, and he was using a fake email.

Anyone else have a story that can top that? I doubt it.

kpvic.

2. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Not really a scam since he was honest about it. It's sad, but the only problem I see is that your friend didn't do the research.

As to stories, one of my airmen sold a car to a guy overseas. The guy sent money in the form of a cashiers check, my airman deposited it, then wired money to the shipping company that the buyer specified. It turns out the shipping company didn't exist, and the cashiers check was fake.

3. Kyle Porter

thats about just as bad. Its just a reall piss off. it is kind of laughable though the fact that he called me "misinformed"

4. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

Buyer beware I'd say. If the buyer hasn't researched what something should be worth then surely it's their lookout and a valuable lesson for them to perhaps do so in the future. 'A fool and their money are soon parted' as the saying goes.

Now if the laptop was faulty then it would be a different matter. Though must say I'm not approving of the seller's tatics or attitude in any case.

Why on earth didn't she ask for your advice before buying? Bet she does next time!

5. Kyle Porter

She had no idea i knew anything about tablets. I soon showed her my tabletpcreview.com account.

6. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Well, the brightside is that as a student, she's likely to learn a lesson from this. Unfortunately many of us make expensive dumb mistakes while we're young. A few hundred dollars isn't bad at all if that's all it takes for her to change her ways.

7. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

No offense, but your friend is an idiot. How can you not put the name of of the product in a search engine to see comparative prices? Do people just buy things blindly.

Let her enjoy her $1700 tx1000z.

8. Kyle Porter

yes, and yes. i was PISSED. Do your research people!!!!

9. daghead

daghead Guest

This makes me say: AAAARRRRRRGH!

10. Triple_Dude

Triple_Dude Aspiring Artist

Caveat Emptor, as I say.

Truth be told, I can't say that's a "ripoff scam"... A scam would be one party not owing up to their end of the deal--in this case, both sides were in mutual agreement; it just so happened that it wasn't so "mutual" in this particular case as it was biased and more beneficial to the seller than the buyer.

Still can't be called a "scam", in my opinion. A ripoff? Yes sir it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.