Need to send Surface Pro 5 in for repair; what will MS send back, and when?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Chris_Kez, May 21, 2020.

1. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

So with 10 days left for school, and 3 days left on Complete care my daughter broke the SP5 she'd been using since the quarantine started. Any idea what Microsoft will send back, or how long it might take?
    @dstrauss I think you're an expert at this point, no? :p

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Ding dong, you're wrong - that is @Bronsky's specialty!!!

Chris_Kez and Bronsky like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

They will provide you with any designated replacement units they have. My guess would be a SP6.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thats the best case scenario.....I'm assuming the central Microsoft supply chain.......would probably be far more likely to keep a contingent of Pro 5 stock then the physical Microsoft Stores would at this point. And given all the physical stores are closed...I think its quite likely one could still get a Pro 5 back. Pro 6 if they're lucky....and Pro 7 no chance in hell.

I'm somewhat in the same boat....my Pro 5's 2 year protection plan is up in July.....and I was hoping to take advantage of....what I was hoping would be limited local supply of older models at the stores....in hopes of ideally getting a Pro 7, or a Pro 6. Covid and Karma decided decided to team up against me in this regard. If the Microsoft stores are still closed by mid-June.....I will be shipping mine out hoping for the best.

as for how long it will take.....thats anyone's guess at this point.

5. Chris_Kez

I wish I could have gone to my local Microsoft Store just because the service has always been really good for me. Online service and support has been spotty at best; it’s like they’re two completely different companies. Actually they probably are completely separate groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Chris_Kez

Replacement device will be here Monday.

Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  7. Chris_Kez

They managed to find a SP5 to send back to me; same 8GB/256GB configuration with W10 Pro.
    I was really hoping for the quad-core SP6.

8. Chris_Kez

It looks like they extended Complete Care until October. Maybe I’ll get lucky, er, unlucky in the fall.

dstrauss, Bronsky and DRTigerlilly like this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Its as I feared, any hope for a SP6 (or 7) to be gained as a replacement unit would be purely in the realm of the physical stores only.

Out of curiosity, did they extend just your Complete Care, or everyone's Complete Care? I wouldn't be surprised if they had some capacity to carve out case by case extensions. My Surface complete is over as of July 4th, and there is nothing in my surface app or Microsoft device profile indicating an extension. And I can't find any announcement or post of them doing this on-line. When you open up your surface app, does it state that, or did someone from Microsoft give you that in writing/email? Given the disconnect that can exist between Microsoft Stores and Microsoft Corporate, I wouldn't be too comfortable with a verbal say so.

10. Chris_Kez

I saw the new date in the device info or support section, accessed through my MS account page. I had gone in there after setting it up to see whether there was any kind of Complete Care or if there would just be something like a 90 day warranty.