Need to charge and attach input device to a single micro usb port

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by GaryO, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaryO

GaryO Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a NuVision windows 10 tablet. It has a single micro usb port. For an application I'm installing, I need to accept a micro usb device that will provide data, and also charge full time thru the same port.

There are some old 2014 posts on how to do this (lots of soldering) and finally a small company (since out of business) and Dell made a specific usb to do this. Can't find anything current.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In fact, it is specific for each tablet. You can search my posts on this subject concerning the Asus vivotab note 8, avn8.

3. GaryO

GaryO Pen Pal - Newbie

I searched those threads, found a lot of info on repairing Asus USB issues, nothing I could recognize as being relevant. Assuming that each tablet might be different, how do I proceed? Maybe I need to provide more info. I have a Motor Home, with electronic engine management. There is a port that makes all the engine data available. A company sells software that decodes the data and makes it available on a USB cable. I'm trying to find a reasonable cost 10" tablet that I can mount in the dash for making readouts available while driving. Time period of use would be max of 8 hours, so I need to keep tablet charged. Tablet needs to be running windows. That's the problem statement. Oh, keyboard will not be useable, because tablet will be mounted in dash, once it's set up.

I've tried several tablets and returned them for one reason or another. Latest is the one referenced above. Will work fine, EXCEPT for the charging issue.

So, should I just return this and keep searching? Seems hard to find a 10" or larger tablet with a port to charge and a USB (or micro, etc) port. Many out there, but terrible reviews on reliability, etc.

Really open for suggestions on how to proceed.

Cost of course is important, else I'd probably just get latest Surface tablet. :(

I

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You need a tablet with two USB ports and those are rare to be honest, the only one that comes to mind is Toshiba's latest Dynapad. You might take a look in the Toshiba section .

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

darkmagistric likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Or the Surface 3, since it has a full USB port and a micro one.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  6. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Amazon.com and Aliexpress have had small, China-made USB OTG hubs that will do power and data simultaneously. You may want to search on these to see if they will work for your particular device. I've used one from Aliexpress with success (although some part since has come loose inside), as well as a Dell power/data USB OTG adapter (somewhat odd design, but it works).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.