Need some scanner advice 4 scanning artist canvas

Discussion in 'Artists' started by michaelws, Sep 17, 2014.

1. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've never had much luck figuring out what despeckle does. There is no interactive window to control it...it just starts when I click on it but I cannot really tell what it is doing.

Dust and Scratches seemed to change edges pretty quickly as does Unsharp Mask. But I will give that a go also. Thanks ComicsGuy!

2. balistic

balistic wacom jock

BPVersion2.jpg Hi Michael,

I had an idea this morning, and was able to improve my result a little bit. Try setting "Remove Color Noise" all the way to 10 when running the Reduce Noise filter. I didn't think to do it originally, but it has the benefit of shifting the hue of the unwanted highlights much closer to the color of the surrounding paint, which makes them even less noticeable. It results in something that, in my opinion, looks totally printable (as long as you don't mind some canvas texture showing up).

fishdavis likes this.
  3. michaelws

Thanks Balistic...I will give this a try.

4. michaelws

NewHonuAdv.jpg
    CoralReduced_001.jpg

Here is the original scan of the painting...reduced from 24" by 36" and the second jpeg is that same section of coral. The right image is the original untouched scan and the left side is with reduced noise at 10 and remove color noise set to 100% and the filtered layer set to Darken and then flattened the image.

If I repeat the filter is destructs the image, or changes it too much. But this is the best I can achieve right now. It is a tremendous step forward.

Thanks...

5. balistic

balistic wacom jock

I'm happy to have helped! It was an interesting problem to think about.

And a cool piece, too, by the way. Is it acrylic or oil?

6. michaelws

Acrylic. Thanks again for the info...

And I have to work on my squareSpace site. I just slapped some images on it the first day and haven't done anything since. Seeing your squareSpace bio I think I had better do something about my lame site layout.

Again my hats off for all the help here. Now I have to decide if I should hold on to my Plustek Scanner or send it back (within my 30 day period) and invest in one of the Epson Expression scanners. Does anyone know of a forum dealing with scanners and art? I used to have an Epson 9800 printer and I found a group online for large format printing that was indispensable. Can't seem to find anything so far for large format scanning.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  7. markzen

markzen Pen Pal - Newbie

Most of my art is too big or awkward for my A4 scanner, so I photograph it with my Nikon Coolpix P7800. Pretty much any digital camera will do as long as you make sure to set it to the highest quality & resolution.
    Using a tripod (or some other way to stabilise your camera) is essential. I attach my artwork to the wall with Blu Tack or picture hanging strips. I use a spirit level to ensure it is completely straight. I also make sure my tripod is leveled and the camera is straight. The more accurate you can be about this, the less you will have to ‘fix’ in Photoshop in terms of distorting the picture to make it fit.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I tried this once, but ran into the problem of the lens warping the image slightly so that rectangular frames bulged at the sides. When I zoomed out far enough to minimize this effect, the image fidelity would drop and things got fuzzy. I figure with more patience and a proper setup and a higher resolution camera, (maybe with a better lens), it would be a good way to 'scan' large format paintings.

9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Beautiful painting Michael!

10. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

[​IMG]

I can't afford an Epson Expression A3 flatbed scanner but I still swear by this machine. I make sure to stay friends with people at the local University Graphic Design department because they have two of them - one for internal students and one for the reprographics department.

I'll take an old blue Rotring-ink wash drawing and try it on the Expression sometime soon - have never been able to get a good picture of it - just reproduces horribly. Trouble is, the painting is A2 so it'll have to be stitched together.

thatcomicsguy likes this.