Need quick help on TM2 worth

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by storebror, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. storebror

storebror Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi guys.
    Just found a brand new tm2t (the one with i5 and Ati hd5450) for cheap (well for my country anyway). But I´m really worried about the comments about the screen being really poor.

Could someone please clarify for me if this computer is worth buying or if I should wait until I can afford something else(which really is not on the horizon for a while)

There are used tablets that come up sporadically here, but not very often. I have found a used fujitsu t5010 with extra battery that I can buy for about 1.5 times the cost of this brand new tm2...would that be a wiser choise despite it being older and used?

I would really appreciate if someone could enlighten me as I have a very limited income an would hate to regret buying my very first tablet.

I don´t really know how to convert what these computers cost into dollars as a straight conversion is kind of misleading because of the added cost of taxes and such compared to buying one in the states. But a straight conversion would be rougly:
    New TM2 : 900$
    Used T5010 : 1255$

Thanks

EDIT: System performance also plays a part ofcourse, I will mainly be running Photoshop, Painter and Sketchbook.

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've owned a whole load and although the screen won't compare to the 2740p, Asus EP121 or many matte screen devices out there, the TM2 screen is more than acceptable. Sure, it's glossy, can be like a mirror, but if you primarily use the machine indoors then you will have no issues working or using the machine. Glossy is glossy so there you go.

It's NOT as bad as people make out but again, there are far better screens out there. Overall the TM2 is a great machine and as long as the damn fan doesn't stay on all the time, the ATI card works and you have a little tweak here and there, you will be happy.

(I've owned two, 1010ea and 2050ea)

An SSD drive transforms the TM2 so maybe consider one

3. thingemajib

thingemajib Pen Pal - Newbie

someone mentioned somewhere about the possibility of fitting an elitebook screen into the tm2, but i dont think this has actually been tried yet so i wouldnt know if the two are compatible.

However, i am intrigued by this idea as i do think that the screen is one of the larger downsides of the tm2. I did some looking and you can get the same boe/hydris/whatever screen they used in the elitebook for around £100 (approx $160-170). If no one else has tried this by the time my warranty has run out i might just give this a whirl...

4. storebror

Thank you Excalibur, that sure makes me feel more at ease with ordering the TM2, as I generally feel so-so about buying used techstuff.

How would you (or anyone else) say the processor holds up compared to the t5010. t5010 has Intel Core Duo P8800 2.66ghz vs TM2 Intel Core i5 470UM 1.33ghz

thingemajib, if I could get a better screen for just 100£ I might be adventurous enough to try a refitting, but only if I am terribly dissapointed with the current screen AND if I could find some guidence.

The more I look at this buy the more I´m shifting from the screenworries towards the processor. I do hate when Photoshop is slow, totally destroys my creative flow.

5. excalibur1814

In all honesty, CPU speed hasn't really been much of a factor for me since the dual cores started hitting years back. The hard drive, on the other hand, is the slowest part of the machine full stop. Handwriting, touch, all bogged down when a machine has stuff going on and the hard drive can't keep up.

Notebookcheck: Intel Core i5 470UM Notebook Processor

Intel Core 2 Duo P8800 Notebook Processor - Notebookcheck.net Tech

I cannot deny that the P8800 is a faster CPU and have owned a Lifebook (for the life of me I cannot recall the model number) and although this might not be important to you but the Hp looks much, much better :) . Maybe ask the guys over in the Fujitsu section as my time with the machine was limited.

Either way both can have SSD drives and the Fujitsu should be faster. (Although saying that does the Photoshop you have use GPU acceleration? Maybe the ATI GPU can work wonders?)

6. Feralboy

Feralboy Scribbler - Standard Member

I've used a number of tablet pcs, including a 5020, I believe. The Fujitsu was a work machine, so I'm not sure of the model number...it could have been a 5010. That said, it was a solid, workhorse. No, it's nowhere near as attractive as the TM2, but the screen was bright and had good viewing angles. It was a little bit heavy, but the tradeoff was a larger canvas to work on (though the resolution was about the same, so it was kind of moot).

I like my TM2 a lot, but I don't use it much for art/photoshop work. If art or photo retouching is your main use, well, the screen may bug you...at least at first. You can get used to it, but a tablet really screams out for decent viewing angles.

Also, I would suggest you get the accidental extended warranty. The build quality isn't quite up to the standards of other tablets I've owned.

7. thingemajib

thingemajib Pen Pal - Newbie

hate to say it, but cpu is the second biggest gripe i have with the tm2. Ive got the 1.2ghz pentium dual in mine. Tbh its performed much better than i expected it would. Perfectly fine for everyday use, very rarely get any slowdowns in windows, but for more demanding tasks, i cant help but think its needs a little more oomph.

If Hp do show if with a refresh, im hoping some variation of AMD's llano will make an appearance (although hopefully they'll wait for something with a TDp of less than 35w...)

8. excalibur1814

OT: Imagine a really thin TM2 with a slice option like the ENvy 13.... 9 hours battery life in an attractive package.

9. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Bottom line I would not recommend getting the Tm2 (unless you really want to use a quasi gaming machine with an atrocious screen that has no 'flexibility' with looking at it), and would instead give the thumbs up to getting the far better T5010 for a reasonable amount more (considering how much more power and capability, as well as quality you are getting it is worth it)... if you are going to get a Tablet PC, it is better to get something you will really enjoy rather than something you will have to fight at every turn

In terms of quality, performance, screen, efficency, and reliability the T5010 would be lightyears ahead of the Tm2, and IMO it would be worth the difference in price to get a good tablet PC right off the bat

For starters the Tm2 is a consumer grade HP tablet so it will not be that great overall in terms of quality (granted it is better than the past Tablet PC's though it is not there yet... the Tm2 was made to look pretty from a distance, but it's design/ engineering are atrocious; dumb battery hump in the back of the unit [tendancy to be 'tipsy', and the 'battery as a handle' excuse only gets you so far, once you try and rest it on a surface/ edge it will be either rock around, or it will sit with one side way too high up], it has the footprint and weight of the 13.3" T5010, but it only has a 12.1" screen [worst of all is the quality of the screen, not so much the fact it is a glossy screen, but that the LCD itself has bad colors, terrible high brightness usability, a bit dim, and literally 10 degrees of vertical viewing angles before colors shift and the light fades/ shimmers -this is probably the worst, it means you can't use it comfortably unless you are looking straight onto the screen which totally defeats the purpose of a Tablet PC!!], it has a stupid;y designed trackpad with integrated buttons and a rather poor chicklet keyboard, lacks tablet buttons on the screen...probably the biggest pain was the fact that the power port was on the upper left side of the Tm2 [so that when you put it in portrait mode on your lap you are either crushing the power connector, have to balance it odly so you aren't crushing it, having the fan covered by your lap [very bad to do], or not use it plugged in in portrait mode) ... as you can tell through my 6 & 1/2 months with my Tm2 I saw all the issues that would really put a damper on happy Tablet PC usage, and the ones I listed are just the start of it all

While the T5010 is Fujitsu's flagship Tablet PC -this is the king of kong amound Tablet PC's, and rightfully so as it is a business grade device that is solidly built and is very well engineered, has the best screen available anywhere (a 13.3" Hydis AFFS+ screen that has nearly infinite viewing angles, great colors, is bright, has no color shift of any kind, and has a pen + touch option that should leave the screen quality quite intact... While this screen is 'the best' there is no way that the Tm2's screen is even 'acceptable' next to this), it has a good quality keyboard and a good sized trackpad, some extra tablet buttons including a touch strip [acts as a 'zoom' function I think], and it has a 'flat' bottom that doesn't have odd battery humps or such in the way

In terms of power the Tm2 has a ULV [ultra low voltage] processor (the one you are looking at has the i5-470Um and while it is more powerful than the Core 2 Duo SU9600 mine had, it will still be way to underpowered to handle Photoshop and other resource intense tasks happily, even with the ATI option -which really isn't anything special, and is more of a ultra light gaming option than a good card to use with Photoshop/ cad like applications, plus it is an absolute battery hog and runs HOT, and it doesn't really help video playback as the Intel HD GPU is already way more than powerful enough to tear HD content apart)
    ... while the T5010 will have a Full Voltage Core 2 Duo processor (the most powerful and efficient processor around, save the newest Sandy Bridge chips... so it is good), and this will run both 3d applications (Autocad and the like) and heavy 2D applications (Photoshop and the like) far better than the Tm2 with ATI option [it will run cooler, with better battery life, and it will all be smoother and be capable of more]

Sure the T5010 is used, and might not be imperfect condition, but it is more than likely to be 100% functioning and likely won't crap out on you; while even with new Tm2's there seems to be about 50% of them that are perfect while the rest either come with issues, or will develop major issues in a few months time... so the fact the T5010 is used is more of a posotive because it has been tested and 'put through the paces'

@excalibur1814
    I was actually designing a 'clip on' addition to the Tm2 a while back... the best way to describe it is to imagine the Tm2 with a 'slice' that made the bottom 100% flush with the battery hump, and added 1" out from the side that has the power port. The bottom 'slice' could house either: 3 2.5" HDD's, extra fans, extended batteries (or some combination of them as there would be connectors for them and they would be interchangeable); the 1" extra on the side with the power port would then offer 2 new power ports [one facing down, and one facing out back], extra usb ports facing different directions, and several programmable buttons [for use especially with Photoshop]... the whole thing was going to be cast in a good grade aluminium, but as I don't have, and never got the equipment or aluminium it never happened
    ... I'll dig up the Autocad drawing I never finished, do a few quick renders, and post it up later so you can see what it should have been

10. storebror

THanks to everyone who has helped me with this.
    Agent9, a t5010 has been a dream of mine for some time now and when I found this used one in sweden(very rare) I got really excited, but for reasons stated further down I had to pass it over for now.

I would have liked to go with the Fujitsu, but money is a real big issue at the moment. I still battle with myself if a tablet even is worth to spend money on right now, but I need to do someting to find my creativity again.
    So, to save whatever money I can I ordered the TM2. My reasoning is that since it´s new and swedish consumerlaws allow me to try it for 2 weeks and then return I´m going to do just that. If it´s superbad I´ll just return it.

Here is a quick sketch I did to celebrate the fact that I wont have to use pencil and my old graphire anymore.
    EDIT: Seems the forum has really strict rules about imagesize so here is a link:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/tm2l.jpg/

Attached Files:

• TM2.jpg
      TM2.jpg
      File size:
      86.8 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.