Need Pen Enabled Content Creator Laptop

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by hitman, Oct 9, 2021.

1. hitman

hitman Scribbler - Standard Member

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? $2000 - $4000

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? No

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible? Convertible Laptop

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • Above 13-inches 15-16 inch screen

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? China/Online

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? No

7. How many hours battery life do you require? 4-6 hours

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc) Email, Office, Web Surfing, Note taking, Diagram Drawing, PDF annotating, Photo & Video Editing, Document Design, Music recording/Production, Online Zoom/Skype calls

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently? Windows/Android

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc) MS Office, Adobe Creative Cloud incl. Photoshop, Premiere Pro and InDesign, Ableton Live DAW

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? No, through monitors

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution? OLED

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance No

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance Wacom preferred but not essential

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? 1TB/2TB SSD, 32-64 GB Ram

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs? HDMI slot Preferred, SD card slot

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above? High quality audio

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration? Webcam

END COPY

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There are several Samsung 2-in-1 machines which are very nice for drawing and well within your price range, but they don't meet your minimum RAM specs. The best of them max out at 16 GB. They also all run exclusively on 1080p screens, which might be limiting.

That leaves two options, but you'll pay for them!

The HP ZBook X2 can host up to 32GB ram, (upgradeable) and I believe it uses Wacom tech for the pen. It has a 14" screen, (which I consider a bit on the tight side). It's hard to find them new now, but I did see a couple on Amazon.

Then there's the Acer Concept D 9. Wow! Now that is a machine to stand in awe of. These are the specs:

• Intel® Core™ i9-9980HK processor Octa-core 2.40 GHz
    • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2080 with 8 GB dedicated memory
    • 17.3" 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) 16:9 IPS
    • 32 GB, DDR4 SDRAM
    • 1 TB SSD
    The manual says there's a 32GB RAM limit, but otherwise, it's a powerhouse. It should have no trouble running your DAW and video applications. And I love the giant 4K screen! It uses Wacom's excellent pen system, though it won't be as feature-rich as their Cintiq line. Wacom always downgrades in some way when it licenses its digitizer tech to third party OEMs; you'll probably not get tilt, for instance, but you'll get button capabilities and pressure sensitivity. It ought to run art programs nicely. I don't know what the sound card or speakers are like.

The biggest downside is that it's a $5000 machine.

FWIW, I do video work on my Samsung Notebook 9 Pro well enough, (16 GB RAM), though it does overheat on big renders unless I throttle it down in Davinci Resolve, but running at 50% render speed works no problem. So it takes about 1 hour of render time per hour of 1080p video. The speakers are junk, but the sound card is fine with headphones. Plus you can always use a USB sound card when in doubt. The Samsung line would be a budget option for sure, but if you want to draw, it's an excellent system. Nobody does Pen and Touch like Samsung.

Cheers!

3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Much as I love my zbook - there are definite limitations and I really don't like the keyboard for typing. I'd also prefer the bigger screen of the Concept D9 but you should also consider the Concept D7 - very similar but fits within the budget.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. hitman

Thanks to thatcomicsguy and doobiedoobiedum for your advice and recommendations. The conceptD9 does indeed look amazing but might just be too big as it would take up much of my carry on baggage when travelling. Going to look more closely at the conceptD7 and also the Samsung range. The 360 Pro looks nice but am put off by talk of a particularly dull screen. Have also been looking seriously at the Asus Zenbook Pro OLED and wonder what people thought of this as an option?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The Zenbook looks like a powerful laptop, but I couldn't see any option for a proper stylus other than third party pens which tend to be so-so at best. Plus I didn't see any indication that the screen can fold flat or into a tablet configuration. Maybe I was missing something in the specs or model options?

The Samsung screens aren't OLED, but I find the one on my 2017 model to be quite adequate if not perfect. There is some light bleed if you are on an all black screen, but nothing which distracts, (unless a user is OCD and just can't stand knowing it's there). The biggest downside I'd say is that the resolution is 1920 x 1080. I sometimes think it would be nice to have a 4K screen, but again, when I'm busy at work on it, I don't notice it. If it was 4k, then I'd probably have to work with the GUI elements magnified just to read the already small Windows fonts.

6. hitman

Thatcomicsguy, interesting that you wouldn't expect the Zen Duo to have an adequate pen for my needs. The Samsung range does look very nice and the pen technology is definitely an attraction. Which model do you think would be best suited to the usage I've described?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  7. hitman

Also should add that in my area can only find the Acer ConceptD 3 Ezel available and wondered if anyone had experience of using this?

Edit: Have just found a Concept D 7 Ezel for sale although the price is very high. Wonder how
    much of an improvement this will be over the Samsung Pro 360?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

3 Ezel uses AES pen instead of EMR so avoid. 7 Ezels' edge over Samsung 360 is the CPU/ GPU combo mainly.

360 you are dealing with ULV Quad cores and 7 Ezel you are dealing with H series hexa/octo cores. Way more muscle in multi core tasks. Also you get RTX mobile GPU options with 7 Ezel. 360 you are stuck with Intel onboard GPU.

9. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You're behind the times old man. Acer updated the new Ezel 3 to a 14" and 15" and you can choose between AES and EMR

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/conceptd-series/conceptd3ezel

Price for the EMR model is not bad compared to the 7 and the 9 - except it's an HD screen.

Just be careful - there is an EMR version but you have to check it's available in your country.

10. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Why you whipper snappers! *shakes fist at cloud*

doobiedoobiedum likes this.