Need opinion which one to get

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by SimsHsia, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kilasnpr

kilasnpr Scribbler - Standard Member

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    at about 1500-1600 max
    2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    Convertible
    3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    * Mainstream ~ 12.1"

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    USA

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    no preference
    6. How many hours battery life do you require?
    at least 3-5
    7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for?
    school writting notes for the most part and writing papers.
    8. Do you have an OS preference?
    Vista
    9. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    word, itunes, oneNote, and firefox maybe little photoshop here and there, also AIM and msn will almost always be running.
    10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list.
    only games like startcraft, online games, and some counter strike.

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen?
    no preference.
    2. What resolution do you prefer?

* SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen.
    OR
    * WXGA - 1280x768 ~ Wider viewing angle of XGA but ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space.

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    See explanation below for guidance.
    either or
    4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    See explanation below for guidance.
    either or
    5. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology?
    wabcom

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    80gb hard drive and maybe 1-2gb ram
    2. Do you require an Optical Drive?
    Yes
    3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    yes.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above? I like to doodle on photoshop as well here and there. But as of now im looking for an alternative to the t4220 that has similar or little quality but also less expensive.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    Lately i was lookin at fujitsu's t4220 but its on the expensive side. since i want to get the SXGA+ since i need the workspace. so i was thinking of going for a HP like the tx1300, tx1000 or even TX1320US but thats mostly because i like price and how they look. But im looking for one

2. Benjamin Chin

Benjamin Chin Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you email to T3 before giving up on the Fujitsu T4220 ?

3. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

This contradicts with your requirements of having a Tablet PC with a Wacom active digitizer. The HP Pavilion tx1000z series has a passive (touchscreen) digitizer. However, I see that you prefer it, but will go either with a passive and/or active digitizer. Writing notes on a passive digitizer Tablet PC will not be as accurate as when compared to a Tablet PC with an active digitizer.

You could take a look at the Toshiba Portege M400 with SXGA+, bear in mind that it is the previous mobile platform generation, and not the current Santa Rosa platform found in such Tablet PCs like the T4220, X61t, C-140X, R1E, and so forth.

If you loose the "W" in the WXGA resolution, the business-class HP tc4400 (with XGA) may fit the bill as well.

You might want to consider searching for a discontinued Tablet PC, like the Toshiba Satellite R20/R25, Fujitsu T4210, T4215, or something similar. All can run Vista, yet in the interest for the R20/R25, you may have a difficult time finding Vista-compatible drivers. You may have to request Fujitsu send you Vista drivers for the T4210; the T4215 and later can be easily downloaded from the Fujitsu support site.

Have you also considered the Gateway C-140X? It's going away from your 12.1" requirement, but just wanted to let it in as a possibility.

You should definitely look into the Fujitsu-owned eBay store if you really want to consider the T4220. I saw a T4215 up for bid earlier today, the bid ends in about three days.

4. Benjamin Chin

Benjamin Chin Pen Pal - Newbie

5. kilasnpr

well im really interested in getting the tx1000z but not sure how good the recognition will be im sorry about confusion but i dont mind if it has wabcom i just want one that can regocnize my writing. and mayb write out my math to text. will that comp do that?

6. SimsHsia

Hi kilasnpr,

Yes, it will be able to, but you may find that you will need to apply more pressure to the screen to get the touchscreen to recognize you are trying to write a character, symbol, etc - but not to a point where you will break the pen! HP tx1000z owners state that recognition (both handwriting and possibly the presence of the pen on the screen) improves over a few weeks, just keep calibrating every day. It can be frustrating for the pen to not recognize that you're trying to draw the integral symbol (for math), drawing a diagram, doodling, or jotting down notes. Nevertheless, the operating system will recognize your writing. Check out the HP forum for more details on what current tx1000z are going through with their tablets.

If you're planning to take it into a lecture hall to do quick jotting of notes, you may find yourself spending more time fixing errors than paying attention to the professor or instructor who is lecturing the class. Might as well just take notes with the keyboard and draw the graphics on the screen he or she draws on the chalk/whiteboard or projector, if that occurs. Hence the reason why active digitizers are recommended if you will be bringing this in to class to write down notes as you would on a spiral notebook.

7. kilasnpr

what would make an active better? and as I said before which one would have SXGA+ i really do want a fujitsu but im afraid that the resolution is going to very much disappoint me since i really want more. on the other hand th tx1000z looks promising yet dont know if it might disapoint int writing from the videos ive seen it looks like the writing lags behind the pen. so is there anything in between both of them? i mean I know they have the t4220 sxga+ but thats way too expensive. or by any chance is there any tricks i can do to get the most space out of a regular indoor t4220 fujitsu?

8. SimsHsia

Hi kilasnpr,

I don't have the time to list all features, but I'll give you what I think are the main points. Other members may add in more if they feel I've left out anything, or for that matter, interject if I made a mistake with some points.

1.) Pressure sensitivity: 256 levels of pressure sensitivity (active) compared to 1 level of pressure sensitivity (passive)
    2.) Hover ability: hover the pen a few centimeters above the screen, and the mouse cursor follows.
    3.) No vectoring issues: e.g., when you rest the palm of your hand on the screen, no stray marks are found in such applications like Microsoft Office OneNote, Windows Journal, etc. It only accepts inputs from the stylus pen.
    4.) Overall better inking experience: passive digitizers may have breaks as you glide the pen across the screen. Since it only has one level of pressure sensitivity, if you ease up pressure on the screen with the pen, the line that may be an actual line, part of a letter, etc will "break up" into fragments. With an active digitizer, it, how do I say this?, "gradients" among pressure levels.
    5.) Button on the stylus pen. Can be useful if you like to right click, or perform other functions as that button (or buttons) are customizable.
    6.) Eraser on the stylus pen. If the stylus pen has an eraser, then you can flip it over and erase like a pencil. If it doesn't, a button in the application will do, or, as stated in the previous statement, customize the stylus button(s) to perform the erase feature, if possible. (Not a big concern for some users)

Now, some disadvantages:
    1.) Instead of simply using your finger to navigate on-screen menus, you'll have to use the stylus pen.
    2.) If you loose the stylus pen, you'll have to replace it with a replacement. No other inputs are allowed except from a Wacom Penabled certified stylus pen.
    3.) Parallax. Distance between the display and the pen may cause calibration to be off a bit. This may also apply to passive digitizer Tablet PCs.

Both active and passive digitizers are susceptible to:
    1.) Calibration issues
    2.) Digitizer hardware failures

9. kilasnpr

ok thanks for list, lol yet again im stuck in between though because I want to get lot of space out of comp(Sxga+ or in case of tx1000z wxga) but dont want to pay over 1500. And also i don't want to compromise my writing ability.

10. SimsHsia

Hi kilanspr,

The two Tablet PCs that are within your budget that come to mind are the Gateway C-140X (14.1") and the Gateway C-120X (12.1") if you want the currently available Tablet PCs. If you haggle with a sales representative, the price could lower. The C-120X may not be up to par with the T4220, in terms of performance, but it still gets the job done in Photoshop, and other applications you require to run.

Fujitsu, Gateway, Lenovo, and possibly others have student discounts if you ask through the phone for each respective company's sales department. Fujitsu has a 5% student discount, Gateway and Lenovo I'm unsure about what rate it is at, but it should be more or less a 5% discount.

Second-hand (a.k.a used), or if you're lucky brand new or unsealed, Tablet PCs may be available at third party retailers or eBay at a fraction of their MSRP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.