need new reliable 2-1 laptop

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by daddyfish, Sep 5, 2021.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've bought a lot of Dell equipment; three off-lease Latitude laptops from a few generations back, all tough workhorses, all easy to service. -Their Dell Canvas, which is quite glorious, and a $400 2-in-1 which had a couple of annoying problems, but.., it was only $400 brand new and it exceeded my expectations given that, though I did eventually get fed up with the prototype pen experience and trade up for a Samsung.

For top grade gear, I'd go with Sasmsung. They're definitely more expensive, but I'd say worth it. My Notebook 9 Pro 15 is hands down the most ****-together laptop I've ever owned. -Though, finding anything with 16 Gb is hard these days. There's apparently a big chip shortage going on and the big companies seem to be compromising with 8 and 12Gb systems. If you can find a 16 Gb Samsung 2-in-1, you're lucky and paying extra for it.

Mind you, I always put in my own SSDs when I get a new machine. That way I've got a factory back-up in a drawer, and I get to control the quality of the SSD.

daddyfish likes this.
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I have to echo Samsung durability. I have 2 Samsung laptops. Both are older models. Physically, they are pristine. One I have my own SSD inside but the other is 512GB that came with it. No problems.

The only thing that bugs me about Samsung is the 16GB RAM cap for models (always soldered on) and refusal to offer a decent GPU option. It wants to desperately keep things thin so all those things are off the table. My own Notebook 9 Pro is due for replacement soon, but the Book 360 options are not compelling enough as upgrades for me to consider (especially for the price).

daddyfish and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

Yeah... About that.

I still treat mine like a new car, baby it, but it has developed some weird light blotches on the screen, (maybe from drawing pressure? They appear where I rest my hand when drawing).., the power jack is a little loose in a way which worries me... I've gotten daily use out of it since August of 2017, so I have zero complaints, but...

Nothing lasts forever.

I've been eyeing those blue Flexes...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  4. Shogmaster

Yeah my 9 Pro is still pristine because I got it new and always babied it. If I got it used, all bets would be off. The 9 Pen 13" I got was used but was pretty much new. I dunno why the seller put $550 BIN on eBay but I just dont think he knew what he was selling. Maybe it's because it all blue and sparkly but it looks like several generation newer than the 9 Pro 15. If the 9 Pen 13 had 16GB of RAM, I can see myself using for a looooong time.

I tested out the Book 360 15.6 at Best Buy. It's super pretty for sure, but not fan of lacking silo pen. Having it is a plus even if its not your main pen. I think the combo of still using quad core Intel and no discrete GPU just makes me go meh.... Also, the yoga form factor isn't my favorite. I dig the KB being always available but swinging the chassis around is cumbersome. The Acer Ezel is the way to go for sure. If only the 7 Ezel wasn't colored like a dentist equipment I would save up for that price point.

Lilawyn and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

Damn! I had a look at new offerings: It's worse than I thought.

There's nothing with over 8 Gb of memory today, at least on the Canadian Samsung site.

The chip shortage is real.

8 Gigs? That's really bad! I've become very used to gargantuan canvases and being able to have multiple documents all open at once.

6. Shogmaster

Plenty of 16GB 360 15.6 here in LA Best Buy. If you are desperate for it I can ship you one from here. Dunno how the import tax thing works tho...

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, thanks few years back I had a Samsung laptop and it was reliable, I will keep it in mind for the future. I could not wait any longer so I bought the Acer Travelmate P4 Spin and received it today. Its definitely feels sturdy and has a Samsung NVME ssd (thank god no Kingston crap this time around) and it has Mil-Std (not as good as Latitudes but its something at least). A minor con seems the long list of bloatware to remove.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

Thanks for the offer, but I'm just window shopping.

There's another year or two at least left in my current worker bee before the wings grind down to nothing.

Lilawyn and Shogmaster like this.
  9. macmortin

macmortin Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Shog, how was the pen performance of the Pro 360? I recently bought the Galaxy Book Flex2 5G and I was disappointed with the pen performance, the sensitivity is there but it's not as good as my Notebook 9 Pro. I was also wondering if you tried last year's Galaxy book Flex, and if you did how did the pen fare. Thanks

10. Shogmaster

I only tried 360 with built in apps. Seems same as always but won't have final verdict until i try CSP on it. My 9 Pen feels same as 9 Pro. Haven't tried Flex.