need new reliable 2-1 laptop

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by daddyfish, Sep 5, 2021.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi all,

I am now looking for a new reliable Windows laptop with pen support and 16 gb of ram. I am avoiding low budget laptops (among others because of low quality SSD's and Motherboards) and am trying to avoid weak hinges. The following list of laptops are available in my region and would be fine spec wise but I am not sure what would be the best choice for a reliable laptop that can last me ~5 years:
    • Acer TravelMate Spin 4 with Intel i5-1135G7 for 900 bucks. Business laptop, reliable?
    • ConceptD 3 Ezel with Intel i5-10300H for 1100 bucks. The hinge and build quality looks good, not sure about the rest?
    • Dell Latitude 2-in-1 7400 with Intel i7-8665U for 1200 bucks. Business laptop, reliable?
    • Acer Spin 5 SP513 with Intel i7-1065G7 for 1050 bucks. The screen ratio and docked pen are nice but I am not sure how reliable it is.
    What would be the best of these to pick out? Its mainly for data analyzing (hence the 16 gb ram) and for taking notes.

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is this to replace the Ryzen powered Asus Vivobook Flip 14 you got a few weeks ago?

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

4. daddyfish

, yeah the crappy Kingston SSD in it died out of nowhere so I am probably sending it back for warranty (bought it from a good shop luckily). Besides that the laptop was above my expectations but I have feeling that the internal parts are of lower quality in budget laptops (as in higher chance to get low quality SSD etc).
    My guess would be that business laptops are build to be more reliable, is that a reasonable assumption to make?

, its not the build quality that was the issue but the internal parts which is probably bad too in the Flex. I do look at 14 inch Thinkpad Yoga's (below 1400 euro but these are harder to find).

5. Shogmaster

Nothing bad about 5700U. And difference between Yoga and Flex are more about screen and case material than internal parts anyways. SSDs and RAM used in Flex and Yoga are the same.

6. daddyfish

, the cpu's are fine that is not the issue (was great in the Vivobook too, Ryzen is good stuff). I was comparing to the Thinkpad Yoga (which is an expensive business laptop) and not the consumer Yoga, I find it hard to believe that Lenovo would use the same internals / same quality of internals (mobo, ssd etc.) between Flex and Thinkpad Yoga. Ram I care less about since its not prone to break in laptops (while eg DOA ssd's is not unheard of).

7. Shogmaster

I had both Flex models and Yoga models. You are paying for the aluminum chassis and better LCD on Yogas. Everything else was on par.

8. daddyfish

, I think you mean the consumer Yoga model since otherwise they do not look similar to me at all (both from 2020 for fair comparison):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But back to topic, I take it no one here buys 2-1 business laptops? I was hoping someone here has experience with eg the Latitude 2-1 or Travelmate 2-1 if it is worth it for these prices.

9. Shogmaster

What I mean is neither is going to give you Samsung Pro SSDs or something. They all pretty much use same level components. The layout of motheboards dont mean much.

Also, I avoid business 2 in 1s because they cheap out on LCD quality even more so than consumer ones, especially when it comes to color gamut.

daddyfish likes this.
  10. daddyfish

, interesting, I wonder now if other business laptop lines like Elitebooks and Latitudes do the same.

, personally I just need a good enough screen but I can imagine for photoshop regulars or such this is an issue. This does seem to turn around a bit but its definitely not cheap.