Need more feedback on different types of video on the HP Slate

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by dsmwookie, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsmwookie

dsmwookie Pen Pal - Newbie

I want to know how this thing performs with loaded media (downloaded movie), Netflix, and any other graphically intense tasks. Can we get some good quality video of this experience?

2. krelvinaz

krelvinaz Systems Analyst

I think heatlesssun or someone else already did some of that. Don't recall Netflix but but they did some video.

3. dsmwookie

I saw the Harry Potter I just wanted to see one or two more. I m scouting for any jagged frames or lag. Netflix is the next step. I m a finicky buyer and having a hard time between the Asus Eee Ep121 and the HP Slate 500. Since neither are truly available I figured I would research best I could.

4. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I too am very curious on how the Slate performs playing online videos. Could any of you Slate owners try one of the trailers below? Each is available in HD, so pick a trailer and see what is the highest resolution you can play it in fullscreen without hiccups. Make sure you wait till the trailer has been fully buffered, so you'll know bandwidth isn't interfering with the test.

YouTube - Green Lantern - HD
    YouTube - Megamind - HD
    YouTube - Love and Other Drugs - HD
    YouTube - Cool It - HD
    YouTube - Iron Man 2 - HD

Edit: You have to manually click on the resolution button and choose 1080p. By default, the page will play the 360p version, which obviously the Slate can handle.

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that MediaPlayer Classic Home Cinema and FFDShow-Tryouts support DXVA acceleration using the Crystal HD card in the Slate, which would mean you should be able to get x264 acceleration as well, I think.

6. johnmcd

johnmcd Scribbler - Standard Member

Windows Media Player also has support for the Crystal HD chipset (but VLC doesn't).

John

7. galingula

galingula Scribbler - Standard Member

Wait?! This thing does moving pictures?!?!

8. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just tried these trailers and they play pretty smoothly. A little hitching here and there but my 980x 3x SLI 580 gaming rig does the same thing in full screen.

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

WMP doesn't support x264 in mkv containers with hardware acceleration though. It only supports h.264 in an mp4 container. There's a DIVX splitter that lets WMP decode x264 using Media Foundation, but it doesn't support subtitles or multi-channel audio, so you're better off with MPC-HC or ffdshow tryouts.

10. dsmwookie

Any tries on Netflix?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.