Need Info from M400 Owners

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by marose28, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marose28

marose28 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am a proud owner of a new M400, which I just received last Thursday. I have been having some problems with my unit, quite possibly due to Vista (hoping so for my sake). So, in an attempt to keep another customer from b*tching, Toshiba is going to send me another M400 with XP Tablet. Anyway, some of my problems with my M400 are the vicious Blue Screens, which I have gotten repeatedly when transferring my iTunes (although none of my music files are corrupted), the loooong startup and shut down that I've attributed to Vista, the flickering screen which always gives me goosebumps when I see it, and other little things that just bug the heck out of me (faulty fingerprint scanner that just doesn't lke my thumb or forefinger 80% of the time, etc. etc. etc).

I am hoping that my M400 equipped with XP Tablet would not give me such a hard time as this one does. Since at this point I still have time to cancel that order, I would like to know whether I should start running for the other direction or if I should stick it out with the deal. So, please, anyone... how is your M400 doing?

2. PR.

PR. Pen Pal - Newbie

I ditched XP as soon as I received my M400. I did a full blank install of Vista Ultimate and haven't had any problems. So much so my Reliability score is approaching 9 out of 10 that's after about 45 days, and it's never dropped below 8.

iTunes under Vista is a disgrace, considering the amount of time Apple have had to sort it even the latest version regularly freezes my home desktop PC. I've pretty much switched to Windows Media player and only delve into iTunes when I have to sync the iPod.

I find the lengthy startup and shutdown is down to two things.
    1 - Memory, I found that Vista really didn't like 1Gb of RAM there was a lot of disk thrashing under Vista when I was only using 1Gb, since upgrading to 2Gb the speed improvement has been quite obvious.
    2 - HDD speed, the HDD is only 4200rpm and it seems to really thrash when reading and writing, I bought a 2Gb SD card and use ReadyBoost and again the machine had a marked improvement. After a reboot (which I don't do that often anyway) for a few minutes it will copy all the key files over to the SD card once that is done Word 2007/Outlook 2007/Explorer etc. will all load in less than 1 second very impressed.

The only time I see the screen flickering is when switching from the desktop/apps to the Welcome Screen, I can only assume that when going to the Welcome Screen, Aero - the 3d interface- is turned off to reduce power consumption. When I only had 1Gb of RAM the flicker was about 2-3 seconds long, after I upgraded it's barely 1 second.

Fingerprint scanner is brilliant, saves me typing my massive password in every time and since training it I've never had a problem with it, sometimes I swipe too fast but other than that it's fine. Have you tried re-training it?

The default Toshiba supplied OS is bloated to hell with applications and utilities, even after rebuilding from a standard MS Vista CD I had to install a few Toshiba apps. I wouldn't recommend anyone use the factory supplied installation.

I did do a little bit more in depth review on my blog with an update after I upgraded the RAM and SD card - http://www.keating.me.uk/?page_id=27

Also make sure you update all the drivers from the Toshiba website, I'm pleased to see they are updated quite regularly.

Hope that helps

3. Ynd0r

Ynd0r M400-3G user

M400 is MUCH MUCH better with Vista!
    My M400 originally came preinstalled with XP-Tablet (full of toshiba-crapware, without any installation cd, only with "restoration" disc). It was really slow, mainly because of all the preinstalled stuff.
    Few weeks later I replaced original XP-Tablet with fresh installation of Vista Ultimate, upgraded RAM to 2GB, downloaded current Vista drivers from Toshiba website - and it was like purchasing completely different machine.
    M400 running Vista (with Aero enabled) is very speedy, reliable, with quick startup, 100% no blue screens, everything works (including the integrated GPRS/EDGE/3G/HSDPA module). It works for over three months without any problems.
    And the pen support in Vista is much better than was in XP Tablet.

4. marose28

marose28 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for your replies!

Are any of you experiencing any problems with your M400 system? I am. Just little things here and there, but enough to give me second thoughts on the machine. *sigh* I have waited so long for the M400 (been eyeing it since it came out last year) and I'm a tad disappointed. I am hoping I just got a lemon and my next one will be all peaches and cream. Since my work will be paying for the machine, and I am expected to use this for at least a couple of years, I want something I can put to use for a looong time. I am doubtful that the M400 I got would even last me the rest of the year... I am bound to smash it against the wall in frustration by then. :D

BTW: my m400 has 2.16GHz core 2 duo (yay 4MB L2!), 1GB RAM (soon to be increased to 2GB), 100 GB HDD 7200 rpm.

5. stinkyfuture

stinkyfuture Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello! I got an M400 with Vista loaded onto it, about a month ago. Let me say this: This machine is a piece OF F***IN CRAP. Yes, foul language, i know, but i am super pissed at Toshiba and myself for buying this piece of junk.

Ok, here's the problems.
    First, when I installed the Wacom driver (the one that doesn't come pre-loaded onto the machine for some stupid reason), it interfered with Vista's tablet support. So i would get pressure sensitivity in some programs, not in others, so on and so forth. After installing and reinstalling drivers for days, I finally said forget it, and move on. It's not like i'm an artist and I bought this tablet to draw on. (Sarcasm) So then from there, things started getting worse. Sometimes when i'd flip screen from laptop, to tablet, the pen would be out of whack. The cursor would be way up at the top of the screen, even though i'm holding the pen at the bottom. Then I started getting BSOD's everytime I would load up Windows Live Messenger (!). A program that's made by Microsoft! So last night, I reinstalled Vista. I got all the wacom pressure working great. So all was fine until tonight, when i started getting BSOD again, so i used a restore point (because Live loaded up whenever i booted up windows, it would just BSOD) and uninstalled messenger completely.

And besides all this, ever since i first turned the machine on, the computer would be super SLOOOW. It's Core 2 Duo. My desktop is a 2.5 year old Athlon64 and it's about 3x as fast as the tablet. Sometimes the tablet, with no program or anything open, will just go into perpetual loading. Which will drive me nuts, hearing the hdd scratching on and on. I uninstalled what i could have of all the Toshiba crapware, but this still happens, and with the new install of Vista i don't have any of junk installed- still does it. Also, the tablet is real slow whenever i go to install something new. Like, it hangs for about 20 seconds, then starts copying.

Lets see, what else. After about a week there's dust and dirt under the screen. I don't think i'm a filthy person, but the tablet thinks otherwise. Oh, and now that I reinstalled Vista the screen doesn't automatically rotate, even though I installed the Toshiba driver for it. If anyone knows a fix for that, please let me know!
    Anyway, there's more but I'll save it for another time...

I had an old Toshiba tablet, forget which kind but it had a 14 inch screen (nice! wish this one did) , at my old job. I used it for about 2 years, never had a problem. I don't know if it's Vista or Toshiba or both but i'm really mad and not sure what to do. Anyway, sorry if this just sounds like an angry rant. I just needed to type this out to someone... and now i feel better! Heh.

6. Ynd0r

Ynd0r M400-3G user

Try to disable "superfetch" in vista. This will prevent vista from permanently preloading everything into memory while notebook is idle.

Also, check if you have really installed the latest BIOS. AFAIK, there can be some stability problems using older BIOS versions.
    Unfortunately, the new BIOS (3.x) doesn't reduce the fan noise. The only thing I really don't like on m400 is the permanent fan noise.

7. stinkyfuture

I disabled superfetch and now i don't get those annoying hdd reads. Thanks! I'm trying to figure out which Bios i have....i would assume it's the latest one since it came with Vista installed....i pressed F2 on bootup but nothing happened. Also, know any secrets to getting the auto screen rotation working again?

8. everythingblogcast

everythingblogcast Scribbler - Standard Member

Vista is new, its buggie on all computers not just the M400.

9. VoxOrion

VoxOrion Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my M400 for about a week, and I'm on a deadline to decide whether to return it or not by tomorrow. This is a machine I use for work, and my boss (who just returned a POS Lenovo) had an M400 on order. I told him to cancel it, while he was on with support, they offered to take this one back without charging us the 15% restock fee. Part of me is screaming "THIS THING SUCKS!!!!!", and another part of me is saying "All tablets suck, and as such, this doesn't suck as bad as it could". I have a lot of latitude in what I choose as my work computer price-wise, but I have to use it for the next three years, so it's not a decision I can take lightly.

Setup:
    Vista Ultimate
    2GB memory
    Centrino Duo 2Ghz
    100GB SATA 7200 RPM (I think...)

Pros:
    - It works fine as a tablet. Overall, everything you'd expect to work does -no problems with WiFi, no BSOD's (or whatever Vista has) - as a stand-alone unit the hardware performs fine -except the keyboard (see below).
    - Graphics are decent (I was asleep at the wheel when I bought it though, and went with the XGA 1024x768 model).

Cons:
    - The slice battery is ridiculous. The wedge shape is a good idea... if this weren't a Tablet. In tablet mode, it's really starting to annoy me.
    - The dock is ridiculous. No speaker support? For some reason the system won't boot in the dock, either. I have to start it then put it in the dock if I want it to work. I know this is almost certainly a software problem - but come on, the thing is a week old!
    - Speaking of the slice battery and dock - you can't dock the tablet if the slice battery is in. Um... when am I supposed to charge it then? I have to attach the slice battery and plug it in without the dock to charge it. Again, ridiculous.
    - As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that the keyboard is awful. Every third keystroke isn't being picked up. I guess I have to pound on the thing.
    - Boot time is... ridiculous. I'm really surprised at how long it takes.

I hate to go back to my nasty old Latitude C810, and I have no idea what to get to replace this. I'm really frustrated and don't know what to do, although writing it down and re-reading it, only a fool would keep the thing...

10. stinkyfuture

What is your line of work? Are you an artist? Do you need a tablet? If not, then hell, get a real laptop! I needed a tablet because i draw cartoons and everything is sooner or later going digital, so i'm out of options. I say this because if you can stick with a regular laptop, then return the m400. If not, then welcome to my world! The m400 is a piece of stinking garbage. All the cons you listed are things i've never experienced. I primarily use it as a tablet, and plug in a mini-usb keyboard to use...works good. My boot times are ok...i wouldn't say they're awful, although with Vista i thought they'd be better. Speaking of, my computer was crawling so much i figured it was just ruined with Toshiba fartware...so i uninstalled vista, reinstalled it...it's still slow. So there's no way around it i guess. Maybe the Asus tablet is the way to go?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.