Need help to decide which tablet I should buy.

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by gabrezu, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gabrezu

gabrezu Pen Pal - Newbie

Here are my criteria in order of my personal priorities.

Weight - Very important since I need to bring the tablet at school every day. My current laptop weights 7.9lb, and I'd never bring that sort of weight at school every day. Although weight is my first priority, I dont need something that is ultra light. I think just below 4lb would be good, and something a little above would be acceptable. Dimensions (height, depth and width) are also important, but my school bag is quite big, so as long as its not something ridiculous, it would be good.

Screen size - I'd also want to watch some videos on this tablet, so as big as possible. Of course, that comes into direct conflict with weight. I havent found a 14in screen tablet that weights less than 6lb.

Optical Drive - Just having a DVD-ROM would be perfect. I dont need a burner, since I can use the one on my desktop. Unfortunately, some light weight tablets dont have this.

Battery Life - Obviously very important if I dont have my tablet to die in the middle of note taking. Data is collected from CNET.

Price Range - This is completely from ebay. The lower range usually have a lower clock speed, only 512MB RAM and 40GB HD, while the higher range have higher clock speed, 1GB or more RAM and 60 or 80 BG HD. Of course, some models doesnt have that many choices in term of customization, so the range will be short, or it wont be a range at all. I'm looking for a tablet that costs around $1000 - $1200 USD.

Here are the models I will choose from. They wont have their clock speed, RAM size and HD size listed because most of those models can be customized, depending on how much I want to spend.

HP Compact TC4200 (CNET score : 6.9 - Users opinion avg from 28 : 8.1)

http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_Compaq_tc...2.html?tag=sub

Weight - 4.6lb
    Screen - 12.1"
    OptD - none
    Battery Life - 5.75h
    Price Range - $1000 to $1430

I have heard lots of good stuff about the TC4200 from many reviews. However, it doesnt have an optical drive and the weight is less than ideal for a 12in screen.

Lenovo Thinkpad X41 (CNET score : 7.4 - Users opinion avg from 44 : 6.8)

http://reviews.cnet.com/Lenovo_Think...7.html?tag=sub

Weight - 3.5lb
    Screen - 12.1"
    OptD - none
    Battery Life - 2.6h
    Price Range - $1100 to $1375
    Notes - No S-Video

The X41 is the lightest of my primary choices, however, its middly expensive. Like the TC4200, it doesnt have an optical drive.

Toshiba Tecra M4 (CNET score : 6.7 - Users opinion avg from 7 : 6.1)

http://reviews.cnet.com/Toshiba_Tecr...6.html?tag=sub

Weight - 6.2lb
    Screen - 14.1"
    OptD - present, customizable
    Battery Life - 3.2h
    Price Range - $1000 to $1400
    Notes - Comes with either a GeForceGO 6200 or a GeForceGO 6600, most customizable in term of CPU, RAM and HD size.

This the the only 14in tablet from my primary choices. Its too heavy tho. There is an optical drive, but for that weight, its not surprising. The 6200 or 6600 are much better than other graphics cards in laptops, so there will be some gaming capacities. Its tempting, but this tablet is primarily for work and I already have a great rig at home for the latest games. I really do want a relatively big screen, but I cant scrifice weight. Price is quite affordable especially with the gaming capabilities. I would surely have bought this tablet if I didnt intend to use it for work.

Toshiba Portege M200 (CNET score : N/A - User opinion : N/A)

http://reviews.cnet.com/Toshiba_Port...6.html?tag=sub

If somebody can find a good review of the M200, please tell me.

Weight - 4.4lb
    Screen - 12.1"
    OptD - none
    Battery Life - 4.3h
    Price Range - >$1000

The M200 is pretty cheap and if I can settle for a 12in screen, I think I will buy this one.

Other models that I have considered.

Toshiba Portege M400 - 12in, 4.4lb, OptD

Looks really great, has optical drive for a 12in, but too expensive.

Toshiba Tecra M7 - 14in, 6lb, OptD

Seems like an upgrade to the M4 and many people say that its great, but there is no result whatsoever on ebay about the M7. If someone knows if the M7 is sold on ebay, please tell me.

Toshiba Satellite R10 - 14in, 6.2lb, OptD

Heavy, not much difference from the M4, but no GeForceGO.

Toshiba Satellite R15 - 14in, 6.2lb, OptD

Same as the R10.

Fujitsu LifeBook T4010 - 12in, 4.4lb, OptD

Has optical drive for a 12in, but way expensive.

HP Compact TC4400 - 12in, 4.6lb, No OptD

Way expensive, no optical drive.

Please help me to decide. Feel free to disagree with what I said above and make new suggestions and bring up other models.

2. Eric UNSL

Eric UNSL Pen Pal - Newbie

Everyone has a tablet that suits there own individual needs. Just keep narrowing it down from here until you settle on the best choice for you. It's hard for me or anyone to just say "yeah buy the HP and stay away from toshiba." Everyones experiences with different brands and reasons for buying may be slightly off from your own. Good luck narrowing the field. If all you want is a light tablet that takes notes and doesn't die in the middle of class look toward the HP or cheaper toshibas. any solid 12" with optical drive and not too costly sounds more or less like what you want.

If you re read your own post, you're answering your own question.

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Between your requirements for battery life and weight, I would recommend narrowing it down to the following models:
    Toshiba M400, Acer C310 or Fujitsu T4020. The X41 and TC4400 do not have a DVD drive. The other models are probably just too heavy and do not offer extensive battery life.

4. gabrezu

gabrezu Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I'll get the M400 then.

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I thought you said the M400 was too expensive...

If you now are going to get the M400 you could have included the Fujitsu T4210 in your list of tablets.

Personally I believe the T4210 to be a much better alternative to the Toshiba M400.

6. ahamilton55

ahamilton55 Scribbler - Standard Member

I second that T4210 suggestion...

7. WNewquay

WNewquay Pen Pal - Newbie

gabrezu,

Here's a list of Decision Critera and on the same page is a link to a tool to help you weigh the relative merits of the factors you considered most relevant.

If you are still interested in the M200 there are links to several reviews on this site's Review Page

And several other M200 Reviews and FAQs

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. gabrezu

gabrezu Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry about the M400, but I rechecked ebay, and its not that expensive after all. As for the T4210, I searched ebay and there was only one result and it was an auction without a buy it now price. Also, they dont even say what payment and shipping methods.

I suddently found the M400 seducing because it has a microphone integrated.

Also, it was the most popular tablet on this site.

9. ahamilton55

ahamilton55 Scribbler - Standard Member

The T4210 has two integrated microphones on the top and bottom of the LCD.

10. gabrezu

gabrezu Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea, but as I said, not much ppl are selling that on ebay, unless you can find a store that delivers to Canada and the tablet isnt higher than $1200USD. I only need this tablet to last me 2-3 years, so I dont wanna buy too expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.