Need help picking parts for custom art workstation desktop.

Discussion in 'Artists' started by michaelws, Nov 4, 2017.

1. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would like to get the 64 gb ram. For the video editing. If you could consider that in the build. Also, will it affect the cooling etc? So much I don't know. Thanks for the help.

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

If video editing is so important I would consider another ssd for media files and cache/scratch disk. Even two 512gb instead of a single 1tb.

stoneseeker likes this.
  3. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

There are plenty of recommended video editing builds out there right now, here's one not that's I'm endorsing this guy...

Intel still have a single core performance advantage, but for multicore performance and bang for the buck the new AMD line up is pretty amazing, and they are still improving them with various firmware tweaks.

4. michaelws

A lot of that went over my head. I am definitely not tech savvy. And that is probably more than I need. But thanks again Shizaru.

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Good to know.

So sounds like 2 big SSD's would be a good thing, and maybe we make the larger one that has the OS on it a M.2 so we get the fastest possible speeds.

The 1080ti is the best GPU your gonna get these days even on non-gaming tasks aside from some very specific scenarios not worth going into right now..

CPU is a hot debate potential, but I personally think if your knowledge of PC tinkering is zero, you should stick with a reliable fast Intel chip. AMD new chips are impressive but less stable and still suffering some growing pains as a new architecture... No need for 18 cores in your beast, most of your tasks will make more use of the core speed than sheer volume of cores. I like the 7700K since its such good bang for your buck right now, and it still has the fastest core clock at stock. The new Intel 8700k is probably a little more future proofed at 6 cores and about the same speed, but it will limit the motherboards we choose from ( I think? ) and is almost twice the price.

The things others could weigh in on (and the NCIX guys you order through) is what liquid cooler would be best for your CPU and what Power supply would be best. I think an 850w would be plenty, but beyond that I'm not much help. I just look at online reviews until I find a sure fire bet that falls into my budget range.

With all this in mind here is an updated list which is open to suggestion:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JnYYM8

You could always run that list by a sales rep at NCIX to get their price list and total after taxes and build and whether they would price match all the prices and sites listed, excluding mail in rebates of course. If you do this and they run a quote by you just remember that they want you to spend your $3000 + with them, so you can push for deals!

Azzart likes this.
  6. Shizaru

The AMD has more lanes piped directly into the CPU, and afaik Intel have no way of achieving that anytime soon. If you select the right board the M2 drives can pass more data faster than any Intel based system without bottle necking. The AMD handle thermals better which may also be worth considering. The extra cores will be well worth having if you're rendering lots of video. Depending on your workflow and applications there are a couple of advantages...for raw compute power all cores can be utilised for rendering if the package can use them all (most packages will be up dated to use the extra cores now that's a reality imho). Alternatively you could render in the background and use spare cores for other productivity tasks at the same time.

If I were you I would do some heavy research into reports from people using the Threadripper's in anger, in real world environments, before pulling the trigger on an Intel for multi core processing applications such as rendering.

Just my two pennies for what it's worth.

7. Shizaru

AMD PCIe Lanes - drive performance.

General comparison between the 1950x and 7900x CPU's priced at $1000 at the time of the review.

One thing to bear in mind is that AMD and Software devs are still optimising for Threadripper performance, and there are more cooling options becoming available for the Threadripper's now.

8. michaelws

I still haven't heard a word from NCIX. I wrote them on Monday. I don't like a company that doesn't respond. Doesn't bode well. Maybe I will try a different company.

I did get my Wacom Mobile Studio Pro 16. I love it. I just hope it doesn't require tech support. Not Wacom's strong suit.