Need help picking parts for custom art workstation desktop.

Discussion in 'Artists' started by michaelws, Nov 4, 2017.

1. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Being that this is a tablet forum primarily I didn't know where to start a thread like this, asking for help in picking the right parts to have a company like NCIX build me a custom workstation. It was Stoneseeker that replied to one of my threads on a different part of this forum and suggested that members of this forum would be willing to offer me advice on this topic. So here is a brief summation of what I have done as an illustrator/artist and what I would like to get a workstation to be able to help me do.

I have been an illustrator all my life. Traditional. Pencil artist (comics NYC) pen and ink and multi-medium illustrator (Los Angeles) Pastels, Oils, etc. I have also worked in animation studios in LA on feature films...the old-fashioned way.

Lastly, I have been an oil painter for a single gallery here in Hawaii for the last 25 years. Now I can be retired if I want. I will always draw and paint...but now I do not have to do it for anyone else...I can create what I want. Still not sure what that will turn out to be.

I want to go digital. My favorite software right now is Corel Painter but I also own Photoshop, Art Rage, paint Storm, Clip Studio etc. So I don't want to say that I will remain with Corel forever. But I do want to have enough power in the computer to drive complex brushes on large canvases (24 X 36 inches and up) at high enough resolution to print quality canvas signed and numbered editions from it.

I also love Blender 3D and might even reinvest in 3dsMax or Maya if Blender doesn't do it for me. So I want to have the power to drive a decent rendering engine to create rendered frames from high poly-count meshes. I also use ZBrush and 3D Coat and Substance Designer and Painter.

And throw in a couple of decent games to play although I get simulation sickness and cannot play any of the first-person shooters and being almost 70 years old I do not play many games so that is not high on the list.

But I do have the money now for this workstation...around the $4,000. area.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice. Am excited to finally get to do this.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Hey Michael I'm reposting this link to here from our conversation so the artists and PC builders on the forums can make adjustments and suggestions based on your needs and their knowledge of parts. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7xDMLD

I hastily threw this together as an example of cost for a high end system.

I think its a good starting point, but I will do a more thorough build suggestion for you when I get time and perhaps after you get valuable feedback from the likes of users like @Marty who helped me a ton with my build.

To answer your question in the conversation, the pcpartpicker website could be used to order direct if you were into building it yourself or were ordering to bring to a builder, but the reason its so convenient for you is once you have an optimal build going you can choose your builder and supplier (like NCIX or memory express) and then simply order all those parts of them and use that list to get price matches on their stuff if they are applicable. NCIX shouls generally have the same or equivalent parts most of the time to what you find on PCpartpicker. You could of course build the PC using NCIX website built in feature, but PCpartpicker gives you a instant read on all the sites and what the lowest price is!

I'll be back soon to go over a PC for you in more depth! Happy parts hunting!!

thatcomicsguy and Azzart like this.
  3. michaelws

Thanks Stoneseeker. Getting anxious here. Kind of like Christmas early.

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Honestly, with that budget you can get a powerful workstation and a cintiq. :D
    (Assuming you don't need a display)

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You could build a really powerful Desktop for around $1000. Do you intend to build it yourself or do you want to buy a already built one?

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Your three biggest expenses are going to be the Cintiq, the CPU, and the Graphics card.

Current cream of the crop CPU is the coffee lake, i7-8700k....but that CPU alone will put you back at least $500. You could also get last years Kaby Lake CPUs , like the i7-7700k....that's around $300 now. Despite being last years, in practice.....you probably won't even notice a performance difference between those cores.

Regarding the Graphics card.....unless you're a hard core gamer......it's not typically advised to get the best and greatest Graphics card. Graphics cards depreciate in value fairly quickly compared to other PC components. Like I wouldn't spend more then $200 on the Graphics card to start out. I would also get a card with at least 4-5 output ports, like 2 HDMI/3 Display ports. Assuming you'll be sucked into the seductive multi-monitor lifestyle (as most Cintiq users are) more then the cards actual performance, being able to push more monitors will be the main draw.

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I believe the budget of $4000 USD was for the tower alone! :eek: Which is way more than enough of course.

Michael has a Mobile Studio Pro on the way which could be his canvas on the desktop too, unless there are caveats to that Wacom link I'm unaware of.

The unit I priced out is a 1080ti (highest end GPU right now, and plenty fine enough for most 3D creation tasks) and 7700k (not sure a 8800k is really warranted here) and 32 gigs of RAM. Of course, complicated video editing may require 64 but honestly you could always just add two more 16 gig sticks later if needed.

Michael, is space an issue? Do you want it to be relatively compact or does the tower size not matter to you?
    Also, do you have a nice monitor or should we be looking for a good monitor as well?

8. michaelws

Hi Stoneseeker. No the tower size is not important. There is plenty of space for it. Right now I have two Samsung monitors. But I have saved for an Eizo monitor but am now leaning to the ASUS PA329Q which is much cheaper and claims 100% Abobe with a higher screen resolution.

Thanks so much for your help on this. I am not a hardcore gamer at all but still like to play now and then. But I would like one that can render at a decent rate for 3d animation work.

Here is the Amazon link for the monitor;

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PA329Q-...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01F6D1ITM

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  9. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

michaelws likes this.
  10. michaelws

Thanks, Shizaru that was interesting...very.