Need help picking a Tablet PC for Art/Sketching and Notetaking

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by jiles, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jiles

jiles Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    No more than $500-$1000 if possible

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes.

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    Convertible.
    I could consider other suggestions though if you guys know of something super awesome.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Compact ~ 10"
    Or
    Mainstream ~ 12.1"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    Doesn’t matter. But I require shipping to Australia.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    At least 4 hours. Would prefer 8 hours to last me through a day of lectures.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    +Typing, and sketching diagrams during lectures, probably with Onenote.
    +Use Sketchbookpro and Photoshop in my own time to sketch/paint/colour/edit images.

9. Do you have an OS preference?
    Windows 7 (or 8 I suppose :p )

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Microsoft Office, One note, Photoshop, Sketchbookpro.
    Maybe internet browsing via uni’s Wi-Fi.

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Maybe Minecraft, but only if the device handles it. I already have a gaming laptop.

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer?
    I honestly don’t think I mind. As long as it isn’t completely square!

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?
    A little, yes.

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?
    Glossy doesn’t sound appealing. Matte?
    4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)
    No, I don’t require touch, but I don’t mind it either. As long as using the pen automatically disables touch (i.e. I don’t want to draw/click all over the place with my palm while it’s resting on the screen drawing)
    I’m not sure. I think resistive was supposed to be better for drawing?

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig)
    Yes, with Pressure Sensitivity. I prefer Wacom.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    50gb should do. 100gb+ ideal.
    2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?
    No.

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    No, as long as battery life is decent (I need at least 4 hours, 1-2 is too little)

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    The Lenovo X220 looks really amazing and is the one that I am considering at the moment. I could probably get one for about $1000 on ebay.
    http://shopap.lenovo.com/au/en/notebooks/thinkpad/x-series/x220?cid=au|semd|se|dwnstr|product|1
    I also considered the Motion Computing LS800 (though it is quite old and now discontinued) and the Motion Computing CL900 (though that would cost me $1000 too and it’s only a slate)

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    At least 2-4gb RAM.
    Wi-Fi connectivity
    At least 1 USB 2.0 or 3.0 port
    Maybe the ability to upgrade to a Broadband internet plan.

Thanks in advance guys!!!

2. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

First, be aware that there is a non-tablet x220 model and a tablet model x220T.

When looking at the X220T it must say that it's "Mobile Upgrade Compatible" in the description otherwise the antenna wires are not installed for 3G internally, you can always use a USB device for mobile. USB 3.0 is available/optionally on a i7 X220T (along with USB 2) all others only USB 2.

3. jbenham

jbenham Pen Pal - Newbie

While you are still in the comparing stage, check out the Sony S Tablet. Awesome device for around $500. :)

4. jiles

jiles Pen Pal - Newbie

Whoa, I didn't realise that. How confusing!
    To think I nearly bought an x220 that didn't have a pen, how scary. It's hard to find any x220ts at 1000 on ebay that also ship to Australia. Does anyone know how the x201 tablet compares to the x220t?

5. jiles

jiles Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, I checked it out. It seems that I'd need to plug in a keyboard to that, which would be OK...
    Have you tried it out? Is it good for drawing? As in Photoshop/Sketchbook drawing, not just handwriting? Does it have pressure sensitivity?

6. sketchyd

sketchyd Pen Pal - Newbie

I dont think the sony S tablet has pressure sensitivity. If you can get a non windows device. The only tablets that may fit your needs would be the hpslate 500, htc jetstream, lenovo thinkpad tablet.

I have the lenovo thinkpad tablet, it has pressure sensitivity and a good handwriting to text note taking app. For sketching, sketchbook pro hd will do the trick.

7. jiles

jiles Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks guys!
    I decided to go with the X201 tablet. It seemed to have everything I wanted. The main con seemed to be the screen, but I can live with that.

8. Stan S.

The posters on eBay are purposely confusing. IMO.

1. In every auction if they don't post the specific model number nnnn-aaaa ASK for the exact model number. That can put into the Lenovo.com site and you can check exactly what is the item on sale. the 'n' are always numbers, the a's are numbers or letters and can be 3 or 4, though the 3 is usually CTO (which means custom to order and it won't list all the correct components without the actuall serial number which you can ask for, and also find what the lenovo warranty actually is vs a reseller shop's). Lenovo makes dozens of variations of the X220T with different pre-configured options.

2. There is not such thing as a 'x220 tablet' without the T at the end. It's a mistake and again, to be certain, ASK, and get the model number.

3. There are several types of screens available for the x220T. The most common on the cheaper units are PEN ONLY, no touch. The next most common are multi-touch and pen. The next are Outdoor visible screens (the most expensive) but they are also PEN ONLY.

4. There is a model of X220T which is $700 at places like CDW. It doesn't show on Lenovo's site as (I think) it is a model that was made for government bid (like the census people) and Lenovo sold units to some of their better customers to get rid of the stock. All of Lenovo's tablets are customer upgradeable except for the LCD, Web Cam, fingerprint reader, CPU, so if you see a unit without bluetooth, too small a HD or not a SSD HD or not enough memory that's easily added. It's best to find one that's Mobile Upgrade Compatible so that any antennae wires are already installed for Wifi and 3/4G.

We have had some people good skills with tools and computers upgrade the LCD, web cam, etc. It's a expert skill level job, but the new parts costs make it unprofitable or silly not to buy in the first place.

9. jiles

jiles Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Stan S - you saved me from an expensive laptop of which I do not need another. Very grateful :)

I ended up buying this:
    New Lenovo X201 Tablet 12.1" 2.66Ghz Multitouch Tablet
    eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r

It says that it is a tablet, that it has the stylus, that it is multitouch, so I'm assuming this is pretty much what I was looking for. What do you think?
    I'll post a review once I get it.

10. Stan S.

Enjoy it.
    Seems like all the info pulled from the lenovo description. While I understand and acknowledge that the X220 and X220T have internal components in common, they are not the same model with a 'tablet' stuck on-- there are mechanical and other case differences as well as wiring in the base unit that are not the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.