Need help on deciding what hybrid/2-in-1 to get for last year of high school and college

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by ducksonquack, Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ducksonquack

ducksonquack Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey!
    These past few days I have been looking into laptops. I came across the convertible laptop/tablets and was intrigued. Being a student, the size and ability to take notes with a stylus seem insanely useful. I'm just not sure as to which convertible to get. I'd really appreciate your input!

1. What is your budget?
    Around 1.5k
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    I would prefer not to.
    3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Convertible
    4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    5 to7-inches
    7.1 to 10-inches
    10 to 13-inches
    Above 13-inches

Around 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Nope!

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    Around 8 would be nice

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Email, web surfing, note-taking, extensive typing, microsoft office use, Netflix, Hulu, Youtube

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    I prefer Windows

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    As far as I know, only Microsoft Office and Adobe

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    It would be a nice ability to have, but I'm not expecting this out of a convertible.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Not really

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    1080p would be nice

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Yes and yes

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Yes, but I don't know anything about pressure sensitivity nor have I ever tried any brands.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    I'm not sure. I know I'll have multiple applications up at once. I'll be saving a lot of music, documents, PDFs, PowerPoints, books, and things of the sort. Expandable memory isn't required.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    USB is the only required, but I would like SD and HDMI.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    I enjoy black-lit keyboard, but not required!

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    Nope!

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

For what you're looking for, in the size you want:

New:

Surface Pro 3
    Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga
    HP Pro x2 612
    Fujitsu Lifebook T904 (will be over your budget)
    Fujitsu Q704

Used or Refurb:

Fujitsu Lifebook T902
    Lenovo ThinkPad X230T
    Fujitsu Q702

Most of these are 11.6 to 13" screens (The Fujitsu T series are the only real 13", Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga is 12.5)

Personally I'm a fan of the SP3, it is the perfect size and ratio for reading and note taking but gaming performance is lacking.

3. ducksonquack

Hey,
    Thanks for the input!
    I've been considering both the SP3 and Yoga. My worry with the SP3 is that I like to use my laptop on my lap a lot, and the keyboard that you can buy with it just does not seem fitting for this. Also, the kickstand might get irritating. I'm also worried about it being too much of a tablet. I don't know too much about the Yoga, but I've heard so many good things. How good is it for note-taking? And this may seem kind of silly, because it is, but the ThinkPad stickers and red dot in the middle of the keyboard irritate me for some reason. The design just isn't one of my favorites.

I don't really know anything about HP or Fujitsu, but I've heard a lot of good things about Fujitsu. Can you explain to me why it's so popular?
    Also, what about the Sony Vaio Duo 13? I know Sony is getting rid of Vaios, but I like them. I don't know how good their convertible is though.

Thanks!

4. jnjroach

Vaio Devices are orphan machines everywhere but Japan now, I personally wouldn't purchase them....

I'm using the SP3 on my lap to type this right now, works fine.

Fujitsu is a Business OEM and create machines for the Enterprise, they tend to be expensive but well built, same with the HP Business Lines. Since your primary purpose is School and Notes nothing beats the SP3 currently...

5. ducksonquack

Would the Thinkpad be better for me than the SP3 since my primary want is a laptop rather than a tablet? I essentialy just want a laptop that's very portable with the ability to take notes on. Also, does the SP3 have a lot of glare? It'd be nice to be able to use it outside, but that won't work if the glare is bad.

6. ericshmerick

ericshmerick Scribbler - Standard Member

SP3. Seriously.

7. jnjroach

I'm a big fan of the Surface Pro 3, with Type Cover the SP3 is right at 2lbs where the ThinkPad is 3.5+lbs and the 16:9 of the ThinkPad isn't as conducive for reading and note taking... but if you want a laptop the ThinkPad is a good option.

8. Snaap

Snaap Pen Pal - Newbie

I was deciding between the yoga 2 pro and the Thinkpad yoga a while back. I bought the yoga 2 pro and I'm very happy with it.
    For your needs the Thinkpad Yoga is probably better (pen) so I'd definetly check it out if I were you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.