Need help in deciding on tablet pc

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by gvstemp, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gvstemp

gvstemp Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all
    I have learnt a lot from this forum, however, this is my first post.
    I have had my Tx2Z from last 2 years and absolutely loved the tabletpc-life on it.
    Yes Tx2Z have had a lot of issues with heating, ghost clicks,bad GPU soldering, shimmery screen issue ... etc.. but thankfully on my unit I didnt have any of those except for heating problems. Well I dont mind that.
    I have thoroughly enjoyed tablet pc functions, inking away my notes, drawing, pdf annotation and offcourse using it as workhorse for scientific simulations, calculations (matlab, labview ..etc).

However, now it seems like HP's inescapable hardware failures have begun to show up (in my opinion HP uses really bad components, that 3 of my HP laptops have crashed and burnt with hardware failures after ~2years of use). I now get BSODs on regular basis on mt Tx2Z and after many many weeks of troubleshooting and wasting my time, I have concluded that repairing hardware would end up costlier than buying a new PC.
    Since I am hooked, I would very much like tabletpc rather than a regular laptop.

I have been doing extensive survey for models for tabletpcs and to be honest after many weeks I am at best.. confused. So I turn to see what your advice is going to be for me.

Few points, before I fill in the required questionnaire...

1. I need a full computer (so not a toy)
    2. I NEED onenote WITH inking capabilities (its my life line).
    3. I would LOVE a battery life ~6hours (for those long flights)
    4. Possibilities of buying it in Netherlands.
    5. I do not want just a capacitive screen as they are not good for note taking.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

max USD1400

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Yes, but with some sort of guarantee that the previous issues were resolved.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Windows tablet pc or a convertible or a slate.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    5 to7-inches
    7.1 to 10-inches
    10 to 13-inches
    Above 13-inches

10 inches or above.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

Netherlands. but I might get help from US friends to buy it as well.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Although my Tx2Z worked great.. am still afraid of HP's choice of components. I am super-happy with my samsung netbook.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

infinite ? just kidding... but 6+hours with regular use (wifi, documents, 5-8webpages).

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Everything, but I dont do games... and I do a lot of note-taking.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

I would like windows. I would like Android as well.. but there are no active digitizers and no full featured onenote on android. If android has that.. then I would LOVE to get the Lenovo thinkpad tablet.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Office, Math softwares, autocad

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Not really.. (i wish tho !)

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

No streaming, but occasionally i like to be able to connect the display to my TV to watch movies off my PC.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

anything decent is fine. i guess 1280x800 ?

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

not much of an issue.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

pen= a big YES.
    Ntrig is fine.. but I hear Wacom is better.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

I can spike up the RAM, no worries there. HDD, anything decent is fine. I have loads of external drives for my work.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

not much of an issue.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

I had ZEROED down on the Samsung 7 slate, and was almost setting things up with a friend in US to buy it for me.. but the screen lifting-off issue and more that 50% of units being defective ( from the poll on this forum), am not too sure. I cant ask my friend to go though the ordeal of exchanging, sending back.. blah blah.

Any help in this regard would be great.

2. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

Lenovo X220T or if you don't mind chicklet keyboards the newer x230T. Has all your requirements as a Windows convertable with very reliable builds (and when not, they fix 'em). You can buy them in the EU, and they're user upgrade friendly.

3. gvstemp

gvstemp Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a ton Stan. Appreciate your time. I will look at it asap.

4. gvstemp

gvstemp Pen Pal - Newbie

I am sorry, it probably is a stupid question.. but

1.Can i order from outlet store of lenovo to netherlands ? anyone has experience with that ?

or

2. what would be a good place to buy lenovo x220T/x230T in netherlands ?

thanks again

5. georgir

georgir Pen Pal - Newbie

The x230T has much improved graphics over the old gen, so unless you find the old model at a seriously reduced price, I would not recommend it.
    And for even better GPU perhaps the Fujitsu T902 will still have a nice dedicated GPU option like its predecessor, and hopefully this option will also be offered in Europe this time around. Please, Fujitsu, pretty please, with sugar on top?

BTW right now the x230t is showing up at an amazing discount on Lenovo's site, i.e.
    ThinkPad X230t 12.5 $1249
    I guess that is USA only, don't know how that would translate for buying from the Netherlands. Maybe call that USA friend of yours now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.