Need help from C-142XL or C-143XL owner

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by clads01, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clads01

clads01 Pen Pal - Newbie

I need to replace the motherboard on my tablet, and the vendor I'm working with to purchase one says that the different C-140 series tablets take slightly different revisions of the motherboard, and that I've got to make sure I have the right one. I gave them the part number from my motherboard, but they said that it is an invalid part number (don't know if it was misprinted/illegible on mine, or if they just have bad info). At any rate, would any C-142XL or C-143XL owners be willing to tell me the part number from their motherboard? This requires opening the cover to the memory modules (2 screws) -- the motherboard part number should be on a label on one of the plastic memory module slots. It should be something very close to: 31TA7MB00C0. Supposedly, the "C" in the 2nd to last digit should be a number.

If anybody can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

2. clads01

clads01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone?

Pretty please?

3. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

I would check my C-141XL for you but I have never been able to get the memory cover off. I had to change memory by holding it open from an angle. Its stuck where the tabs are and wont release.

Sorry I could not help.

4. gaidensensei

gaidensensei Pen Pal - Newbie

The same, but I'm on a 140-XL. I was unaware that the motherboards had different revisions.

5. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

Manufactures of many different products will have revisions that correct minor problems or use a different manufacturing process or even the place they were manufactured. And yet they are the same as far as the consumer knows. I forget what the change was, but between C-140 and C-141 there was a processor family change. Still mostly the same but had a few additions to the instruction set for some minor new abilities. I don't recall a change from C-141, 142 or 143 except in memory and OS that came with them.

6. Spartikiss

Spartikiss Scribbler - Standard Member

I've got a c-140X... I'm working on my lappy today but I'll write it for you if I have a chance... I know it's not a 142 or 143, but it might help...

-Spart

7. clads01

clads01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, Spart. The people I have talked to seem to think that there is a different motherboard in the 142XL vs. the 140X. But not sure if they know what they are talking about. If you happen to have the integrated ATI graphics and its not too much trouble, then I guess I would be interested in knowing your board's part number. Thanks!

8. Spartikiss

Spartikiss Scribbler - Standard Member

As promissed...

31TA7MB0020

... Hope that helps!!

-Spart

9. clads01

clads01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Definitely helpful, thanks. Although I'd still love to get a part number from a 142XL or 143XL ...

10. James Dozet

James Dozet Pen Pal - Newbie

I understand your problem. There were a crap load of differing Gateway Tablet iterations, especially when they sold thier Pro line to MPC (now defunt). I have a C-143XL. I have had two other Gateway Viper Tablets at different companies. Here is a URL to official Gateway parts list:
    http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Q106/ViperC/1008807cl3.shtml
    Be cautious with people suggesting little or no difference C-140, 141, 142 143, or X vs XL etc. They used different tablets and such! With a little patience you acn find official Gateway parts list on line.

Note that Mundo Corp (www.mundocorp.com) is the (excellent) source of correct parts for Gateways and MPCs. Acer, Compaq, Dell and Toshibas toofor that matter. I have done a lot of Gateway parts through them since 2003 or so. Start with C-140 sereis and you will find C-143XL. Or call Mundo. $219 board w/8 MB is for on-board graphics, $249 board w/128 MB is discrete ATI VGA. Mundo also good souce for correct stylus.

Drop me a line if you still have problems. I am a real Gateway Viper fanboy.:)
    Good hunting,
    Jehed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.